Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 504872 times)

foxhack

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #720 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »
Ya it came out for both systems.

I'm so glad that people are playing this game and loving it as much as I did.
I told you guys about this game months ago!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #721 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »
I don't have a PS3, so I wouldn't know if it has physical release or not.

scott

« Reply #722 on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:32 pm »
Ya it came out for both systems.

I'm so glad that people are playing this game and loving it as much as I did.
I told you guys about this game months ago!

Ya by people I meant you and burningdoom.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #723 on: October 17, 2013, 10:32:47 pm »
After all of that, what a crap ending.

foxhack

« Reply #724 on: October 17, 2013, 10:39:09 pm »
Well, yes, but he also got his answer.

I'm sad there will never be a sequel.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #725 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »

Which wasn't entirely clear, either. Was she, his arm?

« Reply #726 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:59 pm »
I'm still getting through Tales of the Abyss, but it's been a bit of a slog sometimes. The pacing is really glacial at times, the map is almost useless, sea travel is dull and slow, and the overall structure is really compartmentalized and linear; when the game decides you have to go to one specific place, that becomes literally the only place you can really go, and the game never seems to stop deciding you have to go to a specific place.

Come to think of it, I think this might actually be substantially more linear than even Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, which was the main gripe people had about that game.

Anyway, not terrible or anything, and there are some really funny moments, but I'm kinda anxious to wrap it up.

foxhack

« Reply #727 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:07 am »

I wish we had a spoiler tag. :P

But uh, yes. The bad guy says that in order for the bionic enhancements to take, they have to use someone close to the person who's getting the enhancements. They used Spencer's wife, and Jayne's brother, I think. They mention Jayne's brother going missing before she got her bionic legs. I'm not sure who they used for the other bionics in the game. Some of the unlockable concept artwork shows pictures of Spencer's wife in some sort of a tank, presumably before the creation of his arm.

scott

« Reply #728 on: October 18, 2013, 08:34:40 am »

But uh, yes. The bad guy says that in order for the bionic enhancements to take, they have to use someone close to the person who's getting the enhancements. They used Spencer's wife, and Jayne's brother, I think. They mention Jayne's brother going missing before she got her bionic legs. I'm not sure who they used for the other bionics in the game. Some of the unlockable concept artwork shows pictures of Spencer's wife in some sort of a tank, presumably before the creation of his arm.

Yup. They pulled a Neon Genesis Evangelion with the ending twist.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #729 on: October 18, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »

What I wasn't clear on was whether she was actually ever a person, or just an illusion the military created for Spencer to have that connection.

Oh, and why didn't they have you fight Super Joe at the end? You go through a few of his minions, get to him, and then a movie scene takes over. That felt a little cheap.

foxhack

« Reply #730 on: October 18, 2013, 05:29:05 pm »
What I wasn't clear on was whether she was actually ever a person, or just an illusion the military created for Spencer to have that connection.

Oh, and why didn't they have you fight Super Joe at the end? You go through a few of his minions, get to him, and then a movie scene takes over. That felt a little cheap.
She was definitely a person. She's mentioned in Bionic Commando Rearmed in a cutscene.

What I don't understand and what is never clarified is a flashback near the beginning of the game. They show Spencer beating someone up while Gibson looks on. They don't say who that was or why that happened.

scott

« Reply #731 on: October 18, 2013, 05:31:43 pm »
Maybe it was connect to the prequel comic? I don't remember.

foxhack

« Reply #732 on: October 18, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »
Maybe it was connect to the prequel comic? I don't remember.
Nope, I have it. It's got nothing to do with that.

desocietas

« Reply #733 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:28 pm »
I'm still getting through Tales of the Abyss, but it's been a bit of a slog sometimes. The pacing is really glacial at times, the map is almost useless, sea travel is dull and slow, and the overall structure is really compartmentalized and linear; when the game decides you have to go to one specific place, that becomes literally the only place you can really go, and the game never seems to stop deciding you have to go to a specific place.

Come to think of it, I think this might actually be substantially more linear than even Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, which was the main gripe people had about that game.

Anyway, not terrible or anything, and there are some really funny moments, but I'm kinda anxious to wrap it up.

Are you playing the 3DS one or the original?

Out of town this weekend to see Atoms for Peace (saw them last night), so I thought it best to bring alone the DS Lite instead of the 3DS (damn that battery life) while I waited in line.  Put in a little more grinding time with Etrian Odyssey... determined to avoid the newfangled "improved" version.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:52:13 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #734 on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:27 pm »
Are you playing the 3DS one or the original?

Out of town this weekend to see Atoms for Peace (saw them last night), so I thought it best to bring alone the DS Lite instead of the 3DS (damn that battery life) while I waited in line.  Put in a little more grinding time with Etrian Odyssey... determined to avoid the newfangled "improved" version.

I have both, but opted for 3DS, since it's been pretty cold at night and I've been feeling the desire to transform into a blanket monster after I get home from work. I'm not sure what (if any) differences exist, though the framerate drops pretty badly on some sections of the world map, especially if there are a lot of trees. The 3D effect works pretty well for it overall, though it's a little disorienting during combat, so I usually switch it on during towns and in-game cutscenes.

Thinking on it now though, I'm sure part of the sloggy feeling of it is that I've had little time during weekends to play, so I've had to hit 2-3 hour segments during the week. Takes forever to make any progress that way, but I keep getting delayed. Like with this weekend, I had a friend's birthday on Friday, which involved a lot of champagne, trying to hit on a friend of mine and babbling drunkenly about Pacific Rim and cunnilingus (idek), and a nasty hangover in the morning, and by the time my head stopped splitting around 3pm, I had to get ready to go meet people for dinner and go to see Goblin and Secret Chiefs play. Now I've gotta do laundry and clean up the house, so by the time dinner time hits, I'll be lucky to get a handful of gaming hours in. Gah!