Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 505113 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1080 on: April 15, 2014, 03:48:51 pm »
Right now I'm playing through Yoshi's Island on SNES.

« Reply #1081 on: April 21, 2014, 01:49:59 am »
Grabbed Kingdoms of Amalur on Steam and put a good few hours into it.  It's not bad, basically like an action heavy, single player, MMO.  It's that kind of game you can just dive in for awhile and if you aren't turned off by kinda generic questing, it can be fun.  Interesting tidbit of info about the game, the great Grant Kirkhope of Rare fame did the music for the game.  I'm super stoked for the music he'll be doing for the upcoming "A Hat in Time" 3D Platformer.

soera

« Reply #1082 on: April 21, 2014, 09:11:06 am »
So far Amalur is by far and away my most favorite of the Western RPGs. I put almost 150 hours into it and loved every minute. I actually was sad when I ran out of stuff to do.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1083 on: April 21, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »
So far Amalur is by far and away my most favorite of the Western RPGs. I put almost 150 hours into it and loved every minute. I actually was sad when I ran out of stuff to do.

I have it, but haven't given it a good amount of attention yet. It seemed cool, what I played of it.

But really? It's that good you'd say? Have you played Oblivion and Skyrim? Neverwinter Nights? It's better than those?

argyle

« Reply #1084 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:49 pm »
Amalur's really fun, but the story is kinda "meh" and by the 2/3's mark or so you can become so overpowered that the rest of the game is a joke.  It had by far the easiest final boss I've ever seen, and part of that I'm sure was due to how ridiculously overpowered I was. 

I would have loved to see what they would have done with a sequel - smooth out a few of the rough patches & implement a better story and you'd have a top-notch game. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #1085 on: April 21, 2014, 09:05:40 pm »
Amalur's really fun, but the story is kinda "meh" and by the 2/3's mark or so you can become so overpowered that the rest of the game is a joke.  It had by far the easiest final boss I've ever seen, and part of that I'm sure was due to how ridiculously overpowered I was. 

I would have loved to see what they would have done with a sequel - smooth out a few of the rough patches & implement a better story and you'd have a top-notch game.

I could agree with all of this. I did play the Elder scrolls games but there was something about Amalur I really enjoyed. Not sure if I can put my finger on the point that made it better for me than them.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1086 on: April 21, 2014, 10:25:55 pm »
Double Dragon NEON and Burnout Revenge.

argyle

« Reply #1087 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:20 pm »
I love FFXIV so much it hurts.  ;D  I just got my Chocobo mount tonight - SO AWESOME!!!  Man, this game is so much better than Lightning Returns it's not even funny.  By far the best MMO I've played, it's just insanely addictive and filled with tons of variety.  S-E knocked it out of the park with this one. 

Oh, and playing with a controller works flawlessly as well.  ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #1088 on: April 22, 2014, 08:29:45 am »
I love FFXIV so much it hurts.  ;D  I just got my Chocobo mount tonight - SO AWESOME!!!  Man, this game is so much better than Lightning Returns it's not even funny.  By far the best MMO I've played, it's just insanely addictive and filled with tons of variety.  S-E knocked it out of the park with this one. 

Grrrr, I dont need another MMO temptation.  :-X

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1089 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:53 am »

Grrrr, I dont need another MMO temptation.  :-X

Just.

Say.

NO!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

90snostalga

« Reply #1090 on: April 22, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »
Right now I'm playing through Yoshi's Island on SNES.

One of my favorites of all time  8)  Great choice!   :D

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1091 on: April 22, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »
Almost done with Infamous Second Son now....  I have been pleasantly surprised by how fun it has been....  I think the best part is that each new set of powers you get sounds completely ridiculous and terrible, but then end up being more awesome than the previous ones....

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1092 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:33 pm »
Almost done with Infamous Second Son now....  I have been pleasantly surprised by how fun it has been....  I think the best part is that each new set of powers you get sounds completely ridiculous and terrible, but then end up being more awesome than the previous ones....

Without spoilers... How's the story? Is it worth getting a PS4 to play?

« Reply #1093 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:43 pm »
Goofed around in some Skullgirls today with a friend since Big Band was added to the game (Make sure to download him for free right now even if you don't plan to play it soon if you have the game already.  He's free for abit).  He's a fun character.  Kinda like Cerebella with the power hits, but has some great grabs and ways to reset people well and despite his size, he's rather fast for a power hitter.  Cerebella is still my main, but he was fun.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1094 on: April 23, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »

Without spoilers... How's the story? Is it worth getting a PS4 to play?

The story....  Hmm....  I won't say it is great, but it is solid....  Maybe I find it hard to relate to the main character, but I don't feel like the story was a major focus at all....  He rarely treats his surroundings with much great resolve or passion....  In fact, most of the time I'm under the impression that he just wants to romp around the city rebelling like a 16 year old....  That being said, what is there does hold up....  Minus some of his rather sharp jumpy conclusions that seem out of left field everything fits together....  The narrative is definitely second to gameplay though....