Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514839 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1500 on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:21 pm »
Started playing Nier last night. lots of things that I can complain about that some people will think are nitpicks. Circle button confirm, knockback is crazy far, and the dodge input seems to me to have a delay. But so far I really enjoy the combat and the story so far.
I know lots of people love Nier, but I'm the guy that just randomly picked up the game one day for cheap and played it. To me, it has a surprisingly in depth story and fun game play. While I didn't get every ending in the game, I played it a couple times to get some of the different endings. That is incredibly unusual for me. I was super surprised by how good the game was.

Also, and I may be completely wrong in this, it seems like it might be related to Drakengard? Comments from others on the forum have insinuated that, so it's actually interested me in trying to find the Drakengard games. I hope you enjoy the game!

The opening before the title screen of Nier is a lot like the one for Drakengard 3. And I think it's by the same developers. I also picked it up cheap a while ago glad to hear the story is good.

argyle

« Reply #1501 on: August 07, 2014, 03:31:04 am »
Started playing Nier last night. lots of things that I can complain about that some people will think are nitpicks. Circle button confirm, knockback is crazy far, and the dodge input seems to me to have a delay. But so far I really enjoy the combat and the story so far.
I know lots of people love Nier, but I'm the guy that just randomly picked up the game one day for cheap and played it. To me, it has a surprisingly in depth story and fun game play. While I didn't get every ending in the game, I played it a couple times to get some of the different endings. That is incredibly unusual for me. I was super surprised by how good the game was.

Also, and I may be completely wrong in this, it seems like it might be related to Drakengard? Comments from others on the forum have insinuated that, so it's actually interested me in trying to find the Drakengard games. I hope you enjoy the game!

The opening before the title screen of Nier is a lot like the one for Drakengard 3. And I think it's by the same developers. I also picked it up cheap a while ago glad to hear the story is good.

Yes, they're related - supposedly Nier is set far in the future from the Drakengard games.  It's the same world. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #1502 on: August 10, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »
Recently I've been playing:

Ultra Street Fighter IV: Capcom really cheaped out on the upgrades for this game. They couldn't even be bothered to record new challenger dialogue for the new characters!

Lucius, aka Murder Simulator 2012: You know that movie, The Omen? Well, this is a very blatant story / idea ripoff. You play the Devil's son, who has been incarnated in a child, and well, you kill people. Think Hitman but with a six year old kid. I'm actually having a -lot- of fun with the game and so far some of the murders have been amazingly gruesome. It's dumb in all the right ways. A sequel has already been announced, but it doesn't feel like it'll be that awesome.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller: A really oldschool-styled adventure game for PCs. It's reminding me of Gabriel Knight 3 for all the right reasons (good music, decent voice acting) and all the wrong ones (clunky and slow animations). I just cleared the prologue, can't wait to see what happens next.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1503 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:32 am »
Got bored of getting my ass kicked in Double Dragon Neon, so I uttered the magic words...

"Deus Ex".

And it magically installed on my machine. Just got past the tutorial. The controls are clunky but I'm having fun. :p

I love DD Neon.

The boy and I maxed out every mix tape and still can't survive the final boss fight with Skullmageddon on Double Dragon difficulty!

foxhack

« Reply #1504 on: August 11, 2014, 12:29:24 am »
I love DD Neon.

The boy and I maxed out every mix tape and still can't survive the final boss fight with Skullmageddon on Double Dragon difficulty!

But... he was surprisingly easy! A tip: Recovery Stance + Spin Kick Special = easy fight.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1505 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:49 am »
Been cycling around my Genesis games and playing X-Men & Jewel Master.  Loving the nostalgia right now...   ;D

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #1506 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:42 am »
This seemed like a fitting time with Studio Ghibli going on hiatus, to finally dive into Ni No Kuni.  I've had it on my shelf since last year, but haven't felt like really getting into an RPG.  I'm glad I finally started poking around in it as it's a real charming RPG so far.  Drippy is abit of a prick, but he turned me into Harry Potter, so I can't be too upset at him lol I'm really enjoying how the game plays as it's a little off at first being this mix of traditional, almost, turn based gameplay, but you have free movement to dodge strikes like in a more action oriented game such as Kingdom Hearts...of which Squenix should take note with how badly they've screwed up their RPG's, forgetting what a good RPG actually requires.

The music is very nice, visually it's very standout, and the Ghibli animation is as wonderful as always, though because it isn't a flowing movie, some scenes feel a tad jarring in how they are placed, but still very good.  I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this game.

abe

« Reply #1507 on: August 11, 2014, 09:36:49 am »
I felt like driving really fast things, so I started playing Wipeout Pulse on the PSP. It's pretty good, but not quite F-Zero X good. It's a reasonable substitute for now since Nintendo won't make more F-Zero. >:(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

bobster

« Reply #1508 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:44 pm »
I just started playing Star Ocean: the First Departure (PSP) during my lunch break. I'm intrigued so far! Very nice looking game and the voice acting seems to be pretty good too! I've only just started, but you can definitely tell the battle system is inspired by Tales of Phantasia (from what I remember from playing a fan translated ROM back in the day) which makes sense since it's done by part of the team that worked on that game. I've had Star Ocean: Second Story in my collection for so long, it's nice to finally start the series.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1509 on: August 11, 2014, 01:48:45 pm »
I love DD Neon.

But... he was surprisingly easy! A tip: Recovery Stance + Spin Kick Special = easy fight.

I'll have to see if this works on Max difficulty. He's very fast and spends most of the time invincible on that setting. He got one attack that if he does it twice you are dead.

foxhack

« Reply #1510 on: August 11, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
I'll have to see if this works on Max difficulty. He's very fast and spends most of the time invincible on that setting. He got one attack that if he does it twice you are dead.

I cleared the game solo on Double Dragon difficulty, so it works. You should've gotten the hang of the game's dodge mechanics (duck / roll) by now, just stay at a distance from him, and when he does one of his power moves (like tossing ghost skulls) evade them by jumping over or rolling under them, then smack him when he's defenseless. A tip: If after using the spinkick, he bounces on on the wall, you can hit him again with the rising knee (duck, then press kick) and then you can hit him while he's on the ground by pressing down + punch -just before he uses his standup attack-.

« Reply #1511 on: August 11, 2014, 03:09:09 pm »
On vacation I bought Urban Trial Freestyle for the 3DS & Heavy Fire: Black Arms and I found both pretty addictive.  UTF has the craziest tracks I've seen in a long time, it's a lot like Kikstart for the C64.

« Reply #1512 on: August 14, 2014, 03:33:58 am »
Went back to play ZombiU which was one of the first games I had with the Wii U, but didn't play much.  Put a little more time in and while I think a lot of the features and mechanics are brilliant, the gameplay is just so lacking.  Melee combat is bog standard and using guns is only slightly better.  It really does have that feel of a launch title and while I think it's a rather unique zombie title, it needed some more development time.  The combat I feel is even more of a tragedy, when you compare it to Dead Island, which came out an entire year before and really handled the melee combat so much better.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1513 on: August 18, 2014, 02:42:16 am »
Couldn't get into FF2 just yet. Had my fill of turned based counter incrementing. At least for now.

Got sucked into the (new?) Tomb Raider on PS3 and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (this one pulled me in with it's Ratchet and Clank style gameplay and excellent implementation of 3D.)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:44:05 am by dashv »

90snostalga

« Reply #1514 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:50 am »
I got the pinnacle game profiler so I'm going to try fable on pc and try to beat It within 30 days before the Pinnacle trial period runs out   ;)