Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515608 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1530 on: August 26, 2014, 12:47:47 pm »
I've tried twice to get into Kingdoms of Amalur and while it is a fine game, I have trouble getting attached because nothing about the story or setting is really that interesting.  There's tons of content and quests, it's basically World of Warcraft with action combat and no online, but it felt kinda shallow.

argyle

« Reply #1531 on: August 26, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »
I've tried twice to get into Kingdoms of Amalur and while it is a fine game, I have trouble getting attached because nothing about the story or setting is really that interesting.  There's tons of content and quests, it's basically World of Warcraft with action combat and no online, but it felt kinda shallow.

The story is probably the weakest part of the game, which is unusual since they supposedly got R.A. Salvatore to write the backstory of the world.  But the gameplay itself was so much fun that I didn't really care.  There is one other issue that popped up for me late game tho - if you use the gem system to your advantage you can become EXTREMELY overpowered.  I walked through the entire last third or so of the game, including the final boss who was a joke. 

I really wanted to see that time make a follow-up to it, because I felt like they would have ironed out those issues and made something truly great. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1532 on: August 26, 2014, 04:39:29 pm »

The story is probably the weakest part of the game, which is unusual since they supposedly got R.A. Salvatore to write the backstory of the world.  But the gameplay itself was so much fun that I didn't really care.  There is one other issue that popped up for me late game tho - if you use the gem system to your advantage you can become EXTREMELY overpowered.  I walked through the entire last third or so of the game, including the final boss who was a joke. 

I really wanted to see that time make a follow-up to it, because I felt like they would have ironed out those issues and made something truly great.

The fate power makes you virtually unstoppable, too, as long as you manage it right and use it only when in dire situations.

But then this is no different than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. You became overpowered in those games, as well. (Same could be said for the story with those games, as well)

argyle

« Reply #1533 on: August 26, 2014, 04:45:18 pm »

The fate power makes you virtually unstoppable, too, as long as you manage it right and use it only when in dire situations.

But then this is no different than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. You became overpowered in those games, as well. (Same could be said for the story with those games, as well)

I suppose, but at least to me it seems like you have to work at it more to get overpowered in those games.  I did it by pure accident in KoA.  Anywho, KoA is more comparable to WoW meets Diablo than a Bethesda game. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1534 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »

I suppose, but at least to me it seems like you have to work at it more to get overpowered in those games.  I did it by pure accident in KoA.  Anywho, KoA is more comparable to WoW meets Diablo than a Bethesda game.

I've never played WoW. But more similar than Diablo? No, I can't agree. Diablo is similar to games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath. Those are more hack & slash-y. They also have this dungeon then town, dungeon then town feel to it; while KOA and ES games have this sense of discovery and exploration to them.

« Reply #1535 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:28 pm »
With the sale on Steam today and the release of all episodes of Season 2 of The Walking Dead, I step back into the depths of The Walking Feels.  First episode down and they nailed it pretty good, took some turns I didn't expect and got me really cringing a few times. The ending of the first episode bugged me, cause it's one of those decisions where you go "What was I supposed to do there? You kidding me?!"

Of course I won't delve into any details, the story is everything for the game, but its a good start.

*EDIT*
Episode 2 is building the drama and has some good moments, but I came across another thing like before in the first episode where I just have to ask the developers why they thought this was a good idea/being kinda poorly thought out.  It just bugs me when generally the story is pretty fine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:49:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

karyann

« Reply #1536 on: August 27, 2014, 03:51:30 pm »
Been playing Digimon World: Dawn on the Nintendo DS recently, I'm 10 hours into it. I'm still not sure whether I like it or not, as weird as that may sound. I like it, but at the same time I don't get why I do; all I ever do is search everywhere in poorly designed levels, keep getting too many annoying encounters, and the story isn't very deep. But I still enjoy playing it somehow! I really want to try the other Digimon RPG games though.

davifus

« Reply #1537 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
Grisaia no Kajitsu
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1538 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:54 am »
Played through all of Scott Pilgrim vs The World today with 4 people simultaneous (in the same room).

It was an epic amount of fun.

Man, I love that game.

« Reply #1539 on: August 28, 2014, 06:02:17 am »
Final episode of The Walking Dead Season 2 up next.  Third episode was pretty good and no particular issues with that one.  Same for the fourth episode.  Always have those moments where you go "I should've went with my gut and picked the other choice".  I felt right for most, but a couple afterwards, which probably wouldn't have changed the outcome, but made me feel better.  Looking forward to the last one which might be crazy.

karyann

« Reply #1540 on: August 28, 2014, 01:08:31 pm »
Played through all of Scott Pilgrim vs The World today with 4 people simultaneous (in the same room).

Man, I love that game.

Oh damn, I have to do that too! I've only ever played 2-players, it has to be awesome with 2 more people  :)

scott

« Reply #1541 on: August 28, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »
Diablo III holds me under it's sway once again. I'm digging Patch 2.1 so far and ran Great Rifts all night last night. Hopefully the others come back soon too so we can get some 4 player going.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1542 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »

Man, I love that game.

Oh damn, I have to do that too! I've only ever played 2-players, it has to be awesome with 2 more people  :)

By the end we were cheering each other's combos and counting the hits collectively. Every now and then one of us would get trigger happy and toss a brick or something at someone else.

I've played coop multiplayer online. But having four people physically in my living room playing was awesome.

I've never really had friends that were the come over hang out and game type.

So this was a first for me.

90snostalga

« Reply #1543 on: August 31, 2014, 01:28:52 pm »
Giving Infamous on the ps3 a try :)

foxhack

« Reply #1544 on: September 02, 2014, 12:45:27 am »
After clearing Waking Mars last night, I decided to give LA Noire another try again. I'm having fun with the game, flaws and all. I'm not doing as badly as I thought I'd be with the questioning, though combat and driving are still a pain in the ass.

Hell, combat in LA Noire, to me... feels exactly like combat in Bad Boys: Miami Takedown.