Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514914 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1635 on: November 02, 2014, 06:11:26 am »
Last finished & Platinumed =Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star,

Now Playing = Tears to Tiara 2: Heir of the Overlord,

Listening to: Drag on Dragoon (Drakangard) 3 OST; 2nd CD,

Warching = Tears to Tiara blu ray anime...   
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #1636 on: November 02, 2014, 04:42:39 pm »
I'm still playing some Fantasy Life on my 3DS. It's an excellent game, and really fun with friends too. I'm also playing some Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA on my PSP as well, which is also a great game. I'm also playing some Fairy Fencer F here and there as well.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1637 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:21 pm »
I'm still playing some Fantasy Life on my 3DS. It's an excellent game, and really fun with friends too. I'm also playing some Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA on my PSP as well, which is also a great game. I'm also playing some Fairy Fencer F here and there as well.

Mind summing up what Fantasy Life & Fairy Fencer F are like/about & giving your thoughts on them?

abe

« Reply #1638 on: November 02, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »

Mind summing up what Fantasy Life & Fairy Fencer F are like/about & giving your thoughts on them?

Fantasy Life is a really interesting game. It's easy to dump a lot of time into it. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's kinda like The Elder Scrolls (for its similarites in questing and skill leveling) combined with Animal Crossing (in its pace), with a wee bit of Ni no Kuni (for its fantasy style and similar music) thrown in. It's really easy to spend hours playing the game without even doing anything story related, not unlike The Elder Scrolls. I'm currently 24 hours into the game and can easily see myself spending much more time on it.

Fairy Fencer F is extremely similar in its design to the later entries in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. This is either good or bad, depending on how you feel about the series. I'm quite enjoying it so far. The music is nice, with most of the songs composed by Kenji Kaneko, and a contribution from Nobuo Uematsu (just like Hyperdimension Neptunia V's soundtrack). I find the characters funny and likeable, and the story is fairly interesting. The battle system is where the game is most like HDN V. The "Fairize" feature is similar to the "HDD" transformations in HDN as well. I'm only a couple hours in so far.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1639 on: November 02, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »
Getting ready to pop this in my XBox. Saw it at Redbox when grocery shopping!

So this one is a disappointment. Don't waste your money on it. Don't get me wrong, I am having fun with it. But it's VERY limited on the single-player campaign. With WWE '13 we played through the entire Attitude Era, with 2K14 we got to play through the history of WrestleMania. Both are fantastic storylines, right? So what do we get this year? Ruthless Aggression? WCW? 80s Rock-n-Wrestling? ...nope, we get HBK vs. HHH and John Cena vs. CM Punk. Oh, and if you look through the menu, there's some smaller side-storylines starring NXT guys nobody cares about.

But the basic gameplay is still there, and it was fun to relive HHH vs. HBK's rivalry at least. So like I said, it's still fun. My recommendation is to get this as a rental only (I'm playing this via Redbox, so not much lost), but don't buy the whole package. Keep your copy of WWE 13 or 2K14 for online play, and the better single-player package. Unless you just HAVE to play online as Sting.

davifus

« Reply #1640 on: November 02, 2014, 06:46:56 pm »
I been constantly playing Conception 2 and I plan on making it my first Plat. game.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1641 on: November 03, 2014, 07:28:54 am »
Thanks abe!

So, they're both turn-based?

azure

« Reply #1642 on: November 03, 2014, 08:02:18 am »
Currently playing:

Luigi's Mansion (GCN)

Persona 3 (PSP)

F.E.A.R (PC)

Smash Bros. (3DS)

abe

« Reply #1643 on: November 03, 2014, 08:07:25 am »
Thanks abe!

So, they're both turn-based?

Nope, Fantasy Life is an action RPG. Fairy Fencer F is turn-based though.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1644 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:07 am »
Right now I'm mostly playing Smash Bros.  I can play it for just a few minutes at a time.  It works out for me. 

I've spent a lot of time with Skylanders Trap Team with The Boy.  We're leveling up characters and trapping bad guys.  I actually play more of this than anything.

When I can slip away and have a little Daddy time, Dragon's Crown has been calling me as of late.  I really like this game.  It's a simple concept.  Hit shit with your sword before it hits you.  That's some logic I can get behind.

TL;DR

Smash Bros (3DS)
Skylanders Trap Team (WiiU)
Dragon's Crown (PS3)

karyann

« Reply #1645 on: November 03, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

When I can slip away and have a little Daddy time, Dragon's Crown has been calling me as of late.  I really like this game.  It's a simple concept.  Hit shit with your sword before it hits you.  That's some logic I can get behind.

I love these kinds of games! I wouldn't play only these, but I sure love to play them from time to time.

« Reply #1646 on: November 03, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »
Continuing on my exploration of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, I'm now onto Lightning Returns. Man, so many conflicting feelings about this game so far. The plot, narrative, and character dialog is a huge step above the previous two games, the combat is an interesting attempt at making the Paradigm system more real-time, and the game is absolutely gorgeous. It's also an incredibly frustrating, almost stressful game to play due to the strict time limit that dominates everything you do, almost complete lack of guidance early on, often unclear objectives, obnoxious nagging dialog from Hope, and massive jumps in difficulty and resource scarcity.

I'm on day 3 of 6 so far in-game so far. You can apparently increase the time limit by completing quests, but nothing I've done so far seems to have had any tangible impact. I feel heavily underpowered against a lot of the monsters I'm running across, and every battle loss causes you to lose an in-game hour. I'm honestly torn between soldiering ahead and taking the chance that I'll get a "Sorry, you failed at everything, start over." result or just grabbing a walkthrough and following it to the letter. The game almost feels explicitly designed to require one because unless you know exactly where to go and what to do, you'll waste too much time trying to figure out what you should be doing.

Eeeeek.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1647 on: November 03, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
Continuing on my exploration of the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, I'm now onto Lightning Returns. Man, so many conflicting feelings about this game so far. The plot, narrative, and character dialog is a huge step above the previous two games, the combat is an interesting attempt at making the Paradigm system more real-time, and the game is absolutely gorgeous. It's also an incredibly frustrating, almost stressful game to play due to the strict time limit that dominates everything you do, almost complete lack of guidance early on, often unclear objectives, obnoxious nagging dialog from Hope, and massive jumps in difficulty and resource scarcity.

I'm on day 3 of 6 so far in-game so far. You can apparently increase the time limit by completing quests, but nothing I've done so far seems to have had any tangible impact. I feel heavily underpowered against a lot of the monsters I'm running across, and every battle loss causes you to lose an in-game hour. I'm honestly torn between soldiering ahead and taking the chance that I'll get a "Sorry, you failed at everything, start over." result or just grabbing a walkthrough and following it to the letter. The game almost feels explicitly designed to require one because unless you know exactly where to go and what to do, you'll waste too much time trying to figure out what you should be doing.

Eeeeek.

How's the music of the three "13" games...do they re-use tracks from the previous entries...different composers and/or varying quality, tones, and themes from game to game?

« Reply #1648 on: November 03, 2014, 03:30:03 pm »
How's the music of the three "13" games...do they re-use tracks from the previous entries...different composers and/or varying quality, tones, and themes from game to game?

There's some re-use from game-to-game, but XIII-2 and Lightning Returns both have a lot of their own themes. XIII-2 definitely wins out so far as my favorite of the trilogy though, both the game and the soundtrack. Some really beautiful and creative music on that one - lots of nice dynamic shifts between quiet and loud, hard and soft.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:38:04 pm by insektmute »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1649 on: November 03, 2014, 03:41:25 pm »

There's some re-use from game-to-game, but XIII-2 and Lightning Returns both have a lot of their own themes. XIII-2 definitely wins out so far as my favorite of the trilogy though, both the game and the soundtrack. Some really beautiful and creative music on that one!

That's good to know!

IIRC, whatever the edition was that I got of XIII-2...it came with a 4-disc cd set of the OST.

I now have reason and motivation to dig them up & give 'em a listen; thanks Erik  ;D