Author Topic: UPDATE - Developers and Publishers are back and more.  (Read 4737 times)

matt

UPDATE - Developers and Publishers are back and more.
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:15:25 pm »
Hey all,

We just finished testing and pushing out an update to bring back the developers and publishers. For now this is only available when you edit an item as we are in the process of cleaning up the database. The old system allowed anyone to create a new entry which caused loads of duplicates and typos. We are using that list as our starting point but will be cleaning it up over the next few weeks. Once we feel like we have a good handle on it we'll roll out the devs and pubs to the create screen.

For now - new developers and publishers will have to be requested through the forum.

I also pushed out a fix for a login issue some people were having. If you've ever updated your email address on the site chances are your forum login / settings were screwed up. This updated corrects this and will keep things in sync going forward.

Let me know if you have any issues!

Thanks,
Matt

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: UPDATE - Developers and Publishers are back and more.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »
Thanks Matt!

We appreciate everything you do. :)

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:22 pm »
aww shucks. Thanks ;)

scott

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:43 pm »
Yay!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04:09 pm »
Alrighty, these have been added to the database tonight.

Nintendo Entertainment System [HK]
Famicom [HK]
Playdia Hardware
Playdia [JP]

The Commodore sections have been modified.
These were added to the database:
Commodore 64 Cartridges [EU]
Commodore 64 Cartridges [NA]
Commodore VIC-20 Cartridges [EU]
Commodore VIC-20 Cartridges [NA]

The original Commodore 64 and VIC-20 sections have been renamed:
Commodore 64 [NA] is now Commodore 64 Cassettes [NA]
Commodore 64 [EU] is now Commodore 64 Cassettes [EU]

Commodore VIC-20 [NA] is now Commodore VIC-20 Cassettes [NA]
Commodore VIC-20 [EU] is now COmmodore VIC-20 Cassettes [EU]

Since these were reorganized, that means there is a bunch of clean up to do with these sections now.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

abe

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:34:09 pm »
Yaaaay! Thanks! ;D

Quick question, since it doesn't seem to be listed in the style guide. What should be use for games that have more than one developer? Should we list all of a game's developers in the developer section, separating them with a semicolon or a comma? Or should we only add one main developer for each entry?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

retroone

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:37:34 pm »
Sweet! Keep up the great work!

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:05 pm »
Yaaaay! Thanks! ;D

Quick question, since it doesn't seem to be listed in the style guide. What should be use for games that have more than one developer? Should we list all of a game's developers in the developer section, separating them with a semicolon or a comma? Or should we only add one main developer for each entry?

Don't have a solution for this yet. We may add a 2nd field.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:43 pm »
Yes, I've been waiting for this for a while for some games. Thank you so much!

jcalder8

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:17:29 pm »
Thanks so much for adding this back!

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 12:00:34 am »
w00t time to bottleneck the edits queue!  8)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 01:26:36 am »
w00t time to bottleneck the edits queue!  8)
I second this.  Currently working on my game collection's information.

Thanks, matt!

Please check out the games I have for sale.

psydswipe

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:09:37 am »
For now - new developers and publishers will have to be requested through the forum.

I suspect you may need to keep it that way forever. Even if you write a style guide for it there are too many people that don't read that as is evidenced by all of the game duplicates and titling errors. Whether you do open it up to users or not, you'll need to decide how detailed company names should be and whether to use publishing brands or just the parent companies. There are quite a few companies who have changed their names too, sometimes it is minor and sometimes it isn't. Do you add both or just go with one?  Then there are numerous in-house development studios that can sometimes be difficult to track. Here are some examples:

-Team17 Software Limited became Team17 Digital Limited in 2012
-Namco Hometek, Inc. became Namco Bandai Games America, Inc. in 2006, switched their name around to Bandai Namco Games America, Inc. last April, and this April they are going to change to Bandai Namco Entertainment America, Inc.
-past Sega can get a bit complicated as they went through all of the in-house developer name changes with the AM teams and then going back to some of them and then dropping them completely
-Nintendo has had a bunch of studios too, and then there is Nintendo EAD which is all I ever use in my work but it can be broken down farther

Some of us can probably keep up but I think the average user doesn't pay very close attention to company details. I assume most of the duplicates come from some people just adding a broad name to those going detailed (Sega vs. Sega of America vs. Sega of America, Inc., etc.). I usually aim for the most accurate so I'd add the corporate bits like Ltd., LLC, Inc., GmbH, etc., but I'm guessing the majority of people might not. I'm sure you know all of this though as you had to take it offline for such a long time  ;) I imagine sorting through all of the past submissions is a major pain, good luck with that  :D

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 07:08:34 am »
Hi Matt,

When im on the site or forum, you still see that 'im not finished sign' above in the Tab page circling. I use Chrome as a browser

Now with writing this post, you see the NES cart, as it should be.

I hope it makes sense.

Edit:
Its wating for c.statcounter.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:10:15 am by fazerco »

matt

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:13 am »
Hi Matt,

When im on the site or forum, you still see that 'im not finished sign' above in the Tab page circling. I use Chrome as a browser

Now with writing this post, you see the NES cart, as it should be.

I hope it makes sense.

Edit:
Its wating for c.statcounter.

Yeah I'm noticing that too on some pages. We use them for our Analytics. I'll see if something is going on .