Author Topic: Xbox or Gamecube  (Read 10195 times)

Xbox or Gamecube
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:49:52 pm »
These are two underrated consoles bringing tons of great games (the former explaining the console gaming audience) and both for better or worse, changed the source of the companies behind them.

But which was better?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Xbox or Gamecube
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 02:09:25 pm »
Both are great and have good exclusives. Morrowind are Metroid Prime are both two of the best games to come out of that generation.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 03:12:12 pm »
Not by a huge margin, but I prefer the original XBOX.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »
I would choose Gamecube on this because the Wave Bird controller was the best Nintendo controller I've ever played with.  Using the GBA for games such as The Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures & Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was a fun and innovative way to play.  Plus, the Game Boy Player allows me to play my GBA games, especially the Golden Sun series, on TV.

As for the Xbox, I never enjoyed both controllers, the original bulky model and the compact version that came later.  As for games that interested me, they were available either on PC or multi-platform.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 04:24:57 pm »
Tough to say.  I know there were some good games on the Gamecube, but I never owned one and Xbox did great for Halo as I had so many LAN parties with Halo and Halo 2.  Got to the point that I was working with my small local gaming community to set up public LAN parties.  Probably hundreds of hours on both games.  There were a few other good exclusives too I'm sure, I just don't remember them as much anymore.  Kinda in comparison, I can think of more good exclusives on the Gamecube like Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4 (Till it went to the PS2), Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine (A game I didn't appreciate till later on), and a few others I didn't play, but are well liked, and it was already pointed out with things like the game boy player which allowed people to play handheld games on the TV which is a nice feature.  Wave Bird was also a fantastic controller, though the Xbox S Controller fixed a lot of issues the Xbox had lol

retroone

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 04:51:16 pm »

I prefer Gamcube.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 04:53:25 pm »
Gotta go with Xbox. Even though I like the aesthetics of the GameCube better, I've never really been a fan of Nintendo's game library.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 05:19:52 pm »
I'd say Gamecube probably because of the stuff with it. I know that Xbox has better multiplats in most cases and a better sound system and the hard drive. However, I feel like the Gamecube has a bit of a more diverse library of exclusive games compared to the xbox, and with optimal accessories like the gamecube, it can double as the perfect way to play all Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games on your TV in 480p( or 480i w/o component), which I feel is something that can't be overlooked given the amount of titles available. I also really like the controller for the Gamecube over the Xbox controller layout, and most of the multiplats I've found for gamecube are mostly good so far. Online support for gamecube is pretty bad compared to the xbox, but there are ways to still play a few games like Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+II online thanks to private servers. The graphics are pretty good for a 1999 chipset design and its got very fast loading times compared to xbox(+ps2)due to the mini-dvd discs( limited data is a downer) and design.

So I'd think I've give Gamecube a slight edge over the Xbox, and I enjoy picking up stuff for both( even if most of the xbox titles I find in the wild are usually sports games).

indenton

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
If you happened to have a Wii and an Xbox 360, I've looked up the backwards compatibility of the 360 before, and it looks like it has quite a lot of issues with a whole heap of games.  An original Xbox might be a more worthwhile investment. 

On the other hand, I'm not aware of too many Wii backward compatibility issues, no Game Boy Player I suppose

karyann

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 09:22:33 pm »
I'm definitely on the Gamecube side, there's a reason why I don't own any Xbox system at all haha. The exclusives appeal to me a LOT more, and for me the gamecube controller is the best controller to have blessed earth.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »
If you happened to have a Wii and an Xbox 360, I've looked up the backwards compatibility of the 360 before, and it looks like it has quite a lot of issues with a whole heap of games.  An original Xbox might be a more worthwhile investment. 

On the other hand, I'm not aware of too many Wii backward compatibility issues, no Game Boy Player I suppose

An original Xbox is pretty cheap too.  I regularly find them for 25 bucks and less at thrift shops.  I'd probably have an extra one or two for the heck of it if I had more money to blow on these things lol

indenton

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 09:33:44 pm »
I personally own neither of these consoles, I have a Wii which I take advantage of the backwards compatibility, I was thinking of getting some original Xbox games for my 360, but then I found out about what I mentioned previously (and now I've sold my Xbox 360). 

It looks like the majority here are swaying towards Xbox, but in the end, it comes down to what exclusives appeal to you.  Surely you should be able to find a list of exclusives available on each platform. 

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 12:49:43 am »
Looking at my game library it would seem I prefered the Xbox.

That said, it would be unnacceptable for me to not own both.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 03:02:27 am »
Id have to go with gamecube too, was never much of an xbox fan.....
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 04:14:29 am »
Hold the z button while you turn on your gamecube.  End of story.  Xbox can suck it.