Author Topic: Splatoon  (Read 2047 times)

Splatoon
« on: May 09, 2015, 04:08:44 pm »
Did anyone put some time into the demo? I think it's a pretty fun game overall, though I hope Turf War can have the chance of being abit longer.  It's pretty short, even if the turnaround time isn't that long between matches.  I feel like the roller is a mild bit OP in terms of paint spreading for the mode, though it is out-ranged by every other gun, even with it's shotgun-like paint fling and unless they get the jump on you, usually you can get them first.  The sniper also seems a little underpowered for the mode.  I know it can do long reaches fairly well in terms of paint spreading, good for long paths, but I think both the Uzi and the Roller do more generally and are more reliable in combat, though the sniper might just need some extra time to get good at it.

My favorite was definitely the Uzi as it spreads paint well, has a long tank life, and the gadget you get with the shield is great when you need to rush people.  Took three people out once with it on since you can run over enemy ink lol

I think this game is gonna be a refreshing thing for the Wii U.  It plays well, it's uniquely entertaining compared to any other shooter out there. Nintendo did right with this.

Re: Splatoon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:41:55 pm »
I'll have to download it tonight when i get home. Also: did they really name a gun the "uzi?" It's really weird Nintendo would reference a real world gun like that.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »
Yeah I got to play for an hour yesterday and it was a lot of fun. I don't really like using the gamepad though. I hope the full game supports the pro controller. I'll definately pick it up if I see it at the right price.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 08:31:06 pm »
The game seems like Garden Warfare but not as good. Most things I've heard about it sound like they are directly ripping off Garden Warfare.

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 08:54:14 pm »
The game seems like Garden Warfare but not as good. Most things I've heard about it sound like they are directly ripping off Garden Warfare.
I don't really get how this game is directly ripping off Garden Warfare; I can't see it. So far, from what my bro and I have played it the demo( along with other people), its actually pretty good and has some cool mechanics that defenitely set it apart from other games in the genre.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 09:34:37 pm »
I don't really get how this game is directly ripping off Garden Warfare; I can't see it. So far, from what my bro and I have played it the demo( along with other people), its actually pretty good and has some cool mechanics that defenitely set it apart from other games in the genre.
Well it's a colorful third person shooter with costumes and similar game modes. They're offering free DLC maps after launch like Garden Warfare did. There's a ranking system, you earn coins to buy new outifts. They're pretty similar.

I feel like most people overlooked Garden Warfare though and only care about Splatoon because it's an exclusive Wii U game.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 12:01:32 am »

Being a colorful third person shooter with unlocks hardly makes it a ripoff.  They have very different mechanics and ideas and really share very little.  Garden Warfare also doesn't have a hub world and singleplayer.  Garden Warfare was alright for a short bit, but I'm far more entertained by the ideas of Splatoon here.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 12:40:47 am »

Being a colorful third person shooter with unlocks hardly makes it a ripoff.  They have very different mechanics and ideas and really share very little.  Garden Warfare also doesn't have a hub world and singleplayer.  Garden Warfare was alright for a short bit, but I'm far more entertained by the ideas of Splatoon here.
How many other colorful third person shooters exist? You shoot stuff, that's the same mechanic. Single player is one new thing but the Splatoon single player really gives off the vibe of just being tacked on, since they hardly show it in videos and promotions. That's pretty baffling since Garden Warfare has way more modes than Splatoon. Gardens & Graveyards in an excellent mode in the game that takes about 15 minutes to complete and is always intense. Another big thing is that Splatoon is for some reason a $60 title which is outrageous. Garden Warfare offers way more and launched at $40.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 01:08:03 am »

How many other colorful third person shooters exist? You shoot stuff, that's the same mechanic. Single player is one new thing but the Splatoon single player really gives off the vibe of just being tacked on, since they hardly show it in videos and promotions. That's pretty baffling since Garden Warfare has way more modes than Splatoon. Gardens & Graveyards in an excellent mode in the game that takes about 15 minutes to complete and is always intense. Another big thing is that Splatoon is for some reason a $60 title which is outrageous. Garden Warfare offers way more and launched at $40.
One thing they will probably do is have a ton of extra added content over the summer since it's to compensate for a drought of new games on Wii U( they've already announced a huge update for August so they're going to be constantly adding stuff in the next few months). Garden Warfare has already been out for two years, and we've only had demos and promo videos so far so I think it's a bit too early to tell how much content will be on Splatoon. Also, Splatoon has got quite a bit more mechanics going on than Garden Warfare such as the usage of ink to add to territory, recharge your supply, and being linked to your different weapons; being fast-paced( these are my opinions from playing the demo). Another thing to note is that you need to pay for an online subscription to play Garden Warfare on any system ( except Windows PC's), so that adds another $40 bucks on top of the game just to play on a 360, One, PS3, or PS4.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:15:32 am by maximo310 »

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 01:24:28 am »

Splatoon isn't Garden Warfare.  It's fine if you aren't interested, it sounds like you don't know a ton about it, but I'm judging the game on its own merits and I'm more than fine with it.  I get singleplayer, which I've seen enough that looks good, and some fun multiplayer. Garden Warfare having a couple extra modes doesn't make it such a monumental game that others must surpass to exist.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 01:32:47 am »

One thing they will probably do is have a ton of extra added content over the summer since it's to compensate for a drought of new games on Wii U( they've already announced a huge update for August so they're going to be constantly adding stuff in the next few months). Garden Warfare has already been out for two years, and we've only had demos and promo videos so far so I think it's a bit too early to tell how much content will be on Splatoon. Also, Splatoon has got quite a bit more mechanics going on than Garden Warfare such as the usage of ink to add to territory, recharge your supply, and being linked to your different weapons; being fast-paced( these are my opinions from playing the demo). Another thing to note is that you need to pay for an online subscription to play Garden Warfare on any system ( except Windows PC's), so that adds another $40 bucks on top of the game just to play on a 360, One, PS3, or PS4.

Well they announced they were adding new maps but yeah since the Wii U won't have another game until September I would hope they add more content lol. Garden Warfare is barely a year old.. the Xbox versions were released February 2014, PC June 2014 and PS August 2014. The YouTube channel GameXplain has showed a lot of Splatoon including the single player levels and they're pretty dull. In Garden Warfare there are 8 different classes and for each class there's 8 different subclasses each one with a different weapon. You can also get upgrades to every characters weapon. Garden Warfare is also fast paced depending on which mode you play on. If you're gonna bring up that unrelated thing then how about the Splatoon Amiibos for $35 (if you can actually find them for retail price) to unlock all of the content for the game?

Splatoon isn't Garden Warfare.  It's fine if you aren't interested, it sounds like you don't know a ton about it, but I'm judging the game on its own merits and I'm more than fine with it.  I get singleplayer, which I've seen enough that looks good, and some fun multiplayer. Garden Warfare having a couple extra modes doesn't make it such a monumental game that others must surpass to exist.

I know as much as there is to know. I watched the Nintendo Treehouse stream last night and all it was were three minute matches and then waiting 10 minutes to find another match before they just decided to end the stream because Nintendo's servers crapped out. Single player is a good thing to have in the long-run since Garden Warfare will one day be unplayable since it's online only. Garden Warfare is underrated and will definitely still be a better game once Splatoon is released. If they were both available on the same system it would be really obvious what the better game is. I know Splatoon will get higher reviews than Garden Warfare though just because of the difference in publishers.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 01:58:16 am »
I've played both games.  Garden Warfare is just alright.  Nothing amazing, but it was better than I expected.  Didn't hold my attention too long.  Splatoon could be at the same level, I don't know, but still a very different experience.  Splatoon is more about the ink mechanics rather than just running around killing the other.  Wiping out the other team is secondary.

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 03:29:04 pm »

Well they announced they were adding new maps but yeah since the Wii U won't have another game until September I would hope they add more content lol. Garden Warfare is barely a year old.. the Xbox versions were released February 2014, PC June 2014 and PS August 2014. The YouTube channel GameXplain has showed a lot of Splatoon including the single player levels and they're pretty dull. In Garden Warfare there are 8 different classes and for each class there's 8 different subclasses each one with a different weapon. You can also get upgrades to every characters weapon. Garden Warfare is also fast paced depending on which mode you play on. If you're gonna bring up that unrelated thing then how about the Splatoon Amiibos for $35 (if you can actually find them for retail price) to unlock all of the content for the game?
My bad, I though Garden Warfare was older. To be honest, I hope that the single player campaign won't be too bad and that there's more in store for Splatoon. For Garden Warfare, even with the different classes and modes, it didn't really hold my interest too much when I tried it out to be honest, and the main multiplayer wasn't too fast paced, but maybe there was something I missed. I really don't think you should dismiss the added cost from a required subscription just to play the regular game of Garden Warfare. If you bought it on launch, and didn't have any subscriptions before, that's $40+$40-50 to access the game for 1 year based on retail prices, and even with discounts you're still paying quite a bit out of pocket to play the game for a limited time; its just seems underhanded. You don't need the  Amiibos to just play the game, but they will add in 20 special levels each w/outfits I think as a supplement to the other stuff being released. You can choose not to buy them and still enjoy the game.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 07:18:08 am »

My bad, I though Garden Warfare was older. To be honest, I hope that the single player campaign won't be too bad and that there's more in store for Splatoon. For Garden Warfare, even with the different classes and modes, it didn't really hold my interest too much when I tried it out to be honest, and the main multiplayer wasn't too fast paced, but maybe there was something I missed. I really don't think you should dismiss the added cost from a required subscription just to play the regular game of Garden Warfare. If you bought it on launch, and didn't have any subscriptions before, that's $40+$40-50 to access the game for 1 year based on retail prices, and even with discounts you're still paying quite a bit out of pocket to play the game for a limited time; its just seems underhanded. You don't need the  Amiibos to just play the game, but they will add in 20 special levels each w/outfits I think as a supplement to the other stuff being released. You can choose not to buy them and still enjoy the game.

Well I got Garden Warfare for free when EA gave it away to celebrate PlayStation's 20th anniversary.  :P

I don't hate Splatoon but I'm annoyed by all the hype there seems to be surrounding it. Garden Warfare didn't get much recognition at all when it was released.

maximo310

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 02:16:05 pm »

Well I got Garden Warfare for free when EA gave it away to celebrate PlayStation's 20th anniversary.  :P

I don't hate Splatoon but I'm annoyed by all the hype there seems to be surrounding it. Garden Warfare didn't get much recognition at all when it was released.
Nice job for saving that money man. I'm just not a fan of the fact that you need to pay for playstation plus or live gold just to play the game, and although there are probably a good number of people that already are subscribed to those services, it doesn't really help people who don't want to pay for these additional online services and just want to play the game.

Splatoon is defenitely hyped up probably because its the only first-party Wii U game that will be releasing and stick around for summer, but I think some of that hype is deserved, especially after playing the demo and really enjoying the mechanics. I'm looking forward to seeing what else can be added in the game. I think part of the problem with Garden Warfare was that it had segmented releases first for the Xbox platforms, PC, and then Playstation and that it got massively overshadowed by big ip releases, at least during the release on the xbox platforms.