Author Topic: "Limited Run Games" is Producing Physical Copies of Games in Limited Quantities  (Read 200007 times)

desocietas

One of the more popular XBLA games back when XBLA was big. It was known for it's interesting way of laying out the landscape and the narrator's voicework:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX48y24t9iU

This was Supergiant's first game - they went on to make Transistor and Pyre. One of my few digital-only purchases! Glad to see it on physical after all these years.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:57:21 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

Supergiant has been super stubborn with making their games digital only. I, for one, am glad to see that someone finally broke through that wall. I havent played any of their games but now I will get to. And since that wall is broken, its possible they will allow their whole library to be put on disk allowing the people such as myself the opportunity to own and play their games.

desocietas

Supergiant has been super stubborn with making their games digital only. I, for one, am glad to see that someone finally broke through that wall. I havent played any of their games but now I will get to. And since that wall is broken, its possible they will allow their whole library to be put on disk allowing the people such as myself the opportunity to own and play their games.

Pyre doesn't really look like something I'd enjoy that much, but I'm really hopeful that Transistor will have a physical release at some point :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

I ended up getting Bastion as it sounds like a cool game! It's also preorder which I prefer over the standard way LRG does things.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

desocietas

I ended up getting Bastion as it sounds like a cool game! It's also preorder which I prefer over the standard way LRG does things.

yeah, they've been doing that more often, thankfully, for the popular titles. they'll still sometimes do limited runs of a collector's edition, but if all you want is a physical disc with box, the open preorder is really nice.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

Has anybody gotten word on CSH? I thought they said they would be shipping in August.
Currently Playing:

Flashback2012

Has anybody gotten word on CSH? I thought they said they would be shipping in August.

I got an e-mail from them the other day and this is what they had to say about it...

"Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4)

The developers at Zeboyd Games wanted to fix some issues that were encountered during the Vita version's development and they made the decision to wait for that patch to be completed before pressing the discs. This allows us to include that final patch on the disc, which will result in a complete and final physical product. We expect this to ship in early September. With the 76 page manual - we guarantee this will be worth the wait!"

telly

Ohh okay! I'm cool with that :)
Currently Playing:

kashell

I was wondering the same thing.

Fierceness is worth waiting for.

desocietas

Random question for LRG collectors/fans... Out of all the games they've released so far, do you have a favorite that you'd recommend to play first? I know this is subjective, but just curious!

I have so many of their games now but I don't think I've played any of them yet  :-[
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

I have actually played quite a bit of the LRG titles (considering my library, Im shocked at how many games Ive actually gotten to play). Here's my breakdown.

Aqua kitty - Kind of like an underwater Gradius. Wasnt too bad and you can co-op
Astebreed - Generic Shmup
Chariot - Co-op game where you are driving this weird little vehicle around. Its kind of like pulling a wagon. Platformer. Semi entertaining.
Dear Esther - You walk around and try to figure out why the character you are playing is who it is. Not really sure how to describe it. Beat it in about 3 hours.
Dragon Fantasy - 8 bit styled RPG. Not bad. Didnt delve into much cause its the sequel to the one that hasnt got printed yet so waiting on it to play the first.
Drive!Drive!Drive! - A wtf driving game. Very hard to play cause you are bouncing between layers of map.
Factotum 90 - Felt like Metal gear while being a box.
Flinthook - Generic platformer
Furi - Unique fighting game. Controls take a bit to get used to. Could have been cool.
Jotun - Probably the LRG game I have the most time into. Very different adventure style game. Was super cool although some of the boss fights will make you want to pull your hair out.
Neuro Voider - a metroidvania style of game. Didnt quite capture me.
Night Trap - I tried to like this, I really did. Just couldnt do it. You watch videos trying to keep a couple of intruders away from the group of teens.
Octodad - You are an octopus but no one can tell trying to fit into life. You can control all the legs and do weird things.
Oddworld - Very basic side scroller platformer.
Pang Adventures - Co-op game sort of like Bubble Bobble. Definitely can get difficult. My son and I played it for hours and got pretty far.
Rainbow moon - Strat RPG. Probably the best strat RPG Ive ever played. Im almost to the end of the game. Story drags on though.
Saturday morning RPG - Basic RPG. Battles are turn based but with different kinds of options than a normal RPG. Got distracted and havent went back. Was fun what I played however.
Shantae titles - Kind of like Wonder boy but with a girl who attacks with her hair. Not bad, not outstanding.
Typoman - The game that I talked to the devs about getting published. Was worth the wait. A very cool word adventure game. You spell words to do different stuff. Puzzle based.
Ys Origin - Great action RPG. If you like Ys, play this game. If you dont like Ys, play this anyhow!

desocietas

Octodad - You are an octopus but no one can tell trying to fit into life. You can control all the legs and do weird things.

Thanks, Soera! Very helpful :) I forgot I'd played a bit of Octodad already! Just the first couple of stages i think. I need to go back to it and try out the co-op mode.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

Random question for LRG collectors/fans... Out of all the games they've released so far, do you have a favorite that you'd recommend to play first? I know this is subjective, but just curious!

I have so many of their games now but I don't think I've played any of them yet  :-[

Nurse Love Addiction was a great VN if you enjoy those. Most of the time it's light and airy, but things can get real dark and depressing real quick.

Shadow Complex was a blah/meh Metroidvania. It had good ambition, but messy execution.

I played a bit of Ray Gigant. It looks like it could be fun.

I played some of Ys Origin on Steam years ago. Good stuff, but I didn't get very far because PC gaming.

argyle

Flinthook - Generic platformer

I couldn't disagree more. I popped this one in on a whim weekend before last and was instantly hooked. It's a rogue-like platformer with RPG elements and a touch of Bionic Commando, and it's extremely well done. In the same class as Rogue Legacy IMO. *HIGHLY* recommended!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis