Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 70081 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2016, 10:02:24 am »
Updated my review page with four reviews, one of which is for a game that has been replayed.

Kash, how do you review each game? Do you take notes when you play the game? I'm always impressed how in-depth your reviews are. Really wish there was a strong site where user reviews could be posted and appreciated.

kashell

« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2016, 10:52:06 am »
Updated my review page with four reviews, one of which is for a game that has been replayed.

Kash, how do you review each game? Do you take notes when you play the game? I'm always impressed how in-depth your reviews are. Really wish there was a strong site where user reviews could be posted and appreciated.

Thanks so much!

I don't take notes or anything fancy like that. I just play the game (usually to completion) and try to write my thoughts down as soon as I finish watching the credits. After some heavy editing, I'll just submit them for approval.

I've actually thought about using something like Word Press to have my own review site since I can't stand the new "heart system" GameFAQs uses.

PlayerC90

« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2016, 03:07:01 pm »
Failed to update in a little while, so here goes:

40. The Walking Dead + 400 Days [steam]: 4/5, ~13 hours
Been meaning to play this for years. Gameplay's pretty clunky, but worth it imo. 400 Days DLC isn't so great unfortunately.

41. The Walking Dead: Season 2 [steam]: 4/5, ~9 hours
Not quite as good as the first game, but it was still very enjoyable for me.

42. The Wolf Among Us [steam]: 4/5 ~10 hours
Setting and Style of this game is amazing. Sadly I encountered a few bugs and crashes while playing.

43. Resident Evil Zero HD Remaster [steam]: 3/5 27 hours and counting
This game isn't as good as I remembered it. I'm still having fun with it, but it's probably my least favourite classic-style RE. Gonna do another run on hard to pick up the last achievements.

« Reply #348 on: August 28, 2016, 04:20:04 am »
32 - Shadow Warrior (PC) - 11 Hours FINISHED - I've had this game for awhile and even put 6 hours into it initially, but stopped for whatever reason.  With Shadow Warrior 2 coming out soon and looking really cool, figured I'd finally beat this.  Much like a lot of the other reboots of the old 90's shooters, it has a lot of the same kinda feel you'd get out of Serious Sam, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Doom, that kind of wave based action shooter with lots of blood and violence.  Shadow Warrior does stand out more by the melee and magic it utilizes and that it feels more like Duke Nukem should've been than what happened with Duke Nukem Forever lol  Overall it's a solid action shooter, lots of humor, though the last few chapters are buggy as hell.  Audio issues, delayed subtitles, and I almost got stuck on a level when the doors stopped working, but luckily there was a save I had not too far back.  It's weird that it's only in the last few chapters once you get to the mountains, because otherwise the game was playing fine before.  I'd recommend it if you are into these styles of shooters and can get it cheap.

« Reply #349 on: August 30, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
Just hit 100 games played.  Only 89 beat and some of the games I stopped playing I don't know if I can be bothered to go back and finish.

telly

« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2016, 06:16:34 pm »
Game 25 - Wipeout XL (PS1) - 2 hours

+ This game was pretty fun while it lasted. It has great gameplay, visuals and a decent soundtrack. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play with friends as well.

- This game was brutally short and shallow. I beat every race with all gold and one bronze in under 2 hours. And as far as I know, there aren't any hidden tracks or cars to unlock like in Mario Kart. It was really dissapointing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:41:09 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2016, 03:52:26 am »

+ This game was pretty fun while it lasted. It has great gameplay, visuals and a decent soundtrack. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play with friends as well.

- This game was brutally short and shallow. I beat every race with all gold and one bronze in under 2 hours. And as far as I know, there aren't any hidden tracks or cars to unlock like in Mario Kart. It was really dissapointing.

Play Alan Wake if you haven't already! :)

maximo310

« Reply #352 on: September 03, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
Huge update incoming: * still working on it, will resume in a bit

33. Fixeight ( Arcade, Toaplan V.2. board, 1cc completed on Euro/Jap versions)- Refer to pg.18 of this thread for more info.  Awesome vertical run n gun with a ton of characters and varied stages. You have two main weapons ( can hold one at a time) and can pick up question marks for various items for each character. The color palette is very subdued, but I think this gives it a unique look.  Soundtrack was a bit weak. There's also multiple scoring opprotunities and fast bullets( Japanese version mostly) to worry about. Defenitely give this one a shot if you enjoy arcade games. 8.8/10   My 1cc run of the Japanese ver is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z70fsfxr_wE

35.  Pacman & Galaga Dimensions (3DS)- This is a collection of Pac -Man and Galaga games, which includes Galaga, Galaga Arragement, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, and Pac Man Championship. Overall it's a nice package for getting your fix on pac man/ galaga on the go, but it could have had more content from other classic namco games, or championship dx. 6/10

36. Metal Slug Anthology- (Wii, MAME, Completed 1cc on 1, X)- This is the reason I bought a Wii, and I decided to revisit it a month or two ago. This contains all of the Metal Slugs released at the time ( 2006), and allows you to unlock art gallery, interviews, and music tracks through repeated playthroughs. My favorities on this collection are Metal Slugs 1,X,3 and 6. The biggest problem of the Wii port ( same for the PS2) is that the emulation is pretty off at certain points, and that the control schemes besides the sideways Wii remote aren't very good. If you're looking to clear the games on a 1cc, MAME is a far better option but if you like a collection on consoles, then stick with the PS2 version. 7/10

37. Metal Hawk- ( Arcade, Namco System 2 board ,1cc completed)- I played this game a year ago not getting very far, but this time it was a completely different story. It's mainly a shmup with a xevious style of gameplay, although the main difference is that your helicopter can change altitude and direction ( free roaming style) thanks to the sprite rotation and scaling supported as hardware features. You need to get a certain amount of points within the time limit in each area in order to advance to the next stage. The soundtrack is very good, offering a 80's hard rock backdrop with a mix of FM and lots of PCM songs that fit the game's style. The game is pretty short, but can quickly get difficult due to the agressive enemies and ground targets, along with a necessary knowledge of the controls. Graphics are also some of the best of 1988, and because of the scaling was planned to have a 32x port but was canceled. A very unique game for its time, and its the only game of its kind, so check it out if you can. 8/10
 I was able to clear it (first in the West it seems) and here is my run here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-cmKknc1Q

38. Outzone (Arcade, Toaplan V.1. board,1cc, completed)- This is the prequel to Fixeight, although you have to worry about your energy bar instead of an invisible timer.  The gameplay is mostly the same, but there is a greater amount of special weapons. The one weapon that will carry you through the game is the super ball, which spins in a ridicuolously huge area and can shoot projectiles across the screen.  This game isn't too hard, but it can easy to screw up and lose a run on one part. 8/10.

39. Assault/ Assault Plus( Arcade, Namco System 2 board or Namco Museum Vol. 4, PS1, Plus Easy 1cc completed)- This is a game where you control a tank from an overhead perspective. It predates Metal Hawk by half a year, and has many of the same effects and soundtrack composers as Metal Hawk. The tank can flip over ( useful for dodging waves of shots), launch regular shots, ranged nuclear missles and use assault pads to damage far ranged enemies. The controls are a twin stick method with a fire button on the left stick, but on MAME you map the sticks to keyobard keys, or to buttons on the PS1 Museum port.  There is a very interesting story in that you are reclaiming your home planet from an invasion by Earth's forces, and there are variety of different areas where your goal is to destroy different types of cannons in each area within the time limit.  The main game is made up of 11 stages ( only have gotten through 5 on 1 credit), while Plus has ( an improved color palette and fixes the 0 sec glitch), an Easy mode with 5 stages based off the original version, and a Super mode with reworked stage layout that is 10 stages. The graphics are some of the best of 1988, and the soundtrack is pretty good, although imblanced ( due to the PCM sound driver being incomplete; this is fixed for the Namco Video Game Graffati soundtrack vol. 3). It's defenitely a very unique and challenging game, and its a shame that Namco never made an  offical sequel.  9/10
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:16:50 am by maximo310 »

« Reply #353 on: September 03, 2016, 11:24:22 pm »
My newest review. This will probably go down as a top five game this year. Excellent, EXCELLENT STORY and just an amazing game all around!

35. The Last of Us (PS3):
First off, this game is incredible from start to finish; the story and characters are by far the biggest standouts, and this game is definitely one of the best looking on the PS3. While it wasn't bad by any stretch, the gameplay was at times frustrating, creating limitations at certain parts of the game that made for some frustration. And this is a personal bias, but I'm not a huge fan of stealth is games, and this game definitely favors that approach during the majority of enemy encounters. I can't bitch too much though; the game was amazing and definitely one of the best games on the PS3 for sure.

telly

« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2016, 09:38:13 pm »

Play Alan Wake if you haven't already! :)

I should get Quantum Break at some point! That comes with a copy of Alan Wake too, no?
Currently Playing:

shfan

« Reply #355 on: September 07, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »
16) Evil Dead: A Fistful Of Boomstick (Xbox)

Not a brilliant game, it's yet another of those Xbox/PS2/GC era walk-around-and-shoot games with little bits of NPC chatter and exploration thrown in (reminds me of the Punisher, for instance). It's good at a basic level, but far too easy to wander around and completely miss the thing you need to grab/activate to proceed, the last area had me pulling my hair out. Still, not bad.

Any hope of reaching 52 is pretty much gone, Toukiden Kiwami (monster hunter clone) has already swallowed more time than a JRPG or two.

shfan

« Reply #356 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:07 pm »
17) Metal Slug 3 (Xbox)

Oh, OK, that was quick. Not easy, though. In order to beat this I had to use the option to start on any stage (limited continues), reached the final stage but then ran out of continues, so restarted at that stage and even then finished with only 2 lives remaining. Phew! Still, MS games are so much fun to play, this is why I love to have my PS2/Xbox always set up in the den :D Looking forward to trying some more games from their libraries to take a break from monster slaying.

telly

« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2016, 03:21:56 pm »
Game 26 - Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS2) - 17 Hours

I loved the first Sly Cooper game, and this one is pretty good as well. However, I still think I like the first one a bit better, though they both come rather close.

+ The game play in Sly 2 is a lot better. It's really fun to travel around the more open world finding loot, clue bottles and pick pocketing guards. I loved a lot of environments, particularly the ones in Canada and the first level. There's a really nice amount of variety in the missions, from shoot em ups, turret sections, fighters, pretty much everything. It was also cool to play as the additional characters other than Sly, though at the beginning of the game I found myself wanting to play as Sly anyway.

- Some of the voice acting was kind of off for me, Neyla and the new voice they gave Carmelita were particularly bad. There were also some villains who barely got any screen time or development, like Arpeggio. Lastly, it seemed to me like there was a lot of padding in some of the missions, requiring you to do the same thing 3, 4 or 5 times to actually finish the mission.

Halfway there!

Back to my list
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:38:53 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

maximo310

« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2016, 03:39:42 pm »
17) Metal Slug 3 (Xbox)

Oh, OK, that was quick. Not easy, though. In order to beat this I had to use the option to start on any stage (limited continues), reached the final stage but then ran out of continues, so restarted at that stage and even then finished with only 2 lives remaining. Phew! Still, MS games are so much fun to play, this is why I love to have my PS2/Xbox always set up in the den :D Looking forward to trying some more games from their libraries to take a break from monster slaying.

If you're a fan of that stuff I'd reccomend picking up Metal Slug Anthology for the PS2, or if that's out of your price range, then get the Metal Slug 4/5 pack on Xbox.  Anthology gives you all 6 Metal Slug games, and extra bonus content with it.

« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:59 pm »
I still might have a chance at getting 52 games beat this year.  52 games played will be easy, but only about half way there on beaten.  I got about 6 or 7 games coming out the rest of the year that I plan to buy, I got 2 games to finish on my list already, and I have a backlog of like a dozen games on PC and PS4 that have built up and I just added 2 more with Journey and Lords of the Fallen coming out for free on PS+.