Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 70175 times)

rayne315

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #315 on: July 27, 2016, 12:28:52 pm »
added 51-55 on my post on page 19. a few reviews are not completed yet and 2 of the games were beat by my GF.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

shfan

« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2016, 05:59:37 pm »
12) Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition (3DS)

Candy Crush but even simpler, with visual effects and a basic RPG-like party lineup system, did enjoy it but could have beaten a couple of shorter action games on the Xbox 360 in the time it took to put this to bed.

PlayerC90

« Reply #317 on: July 28, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »
Original post: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg111013.html#msg111013

35. Grow Home [steam]: 3/5, 5-6 hours
Fun little game, but after finishing it I feel very little desire to go back and collect everything.

36. Ryse: Son of Rome [steam]: 2/5, ~8 hours
Yeah, this game is no good. I played it to see just what my new PC can do, and man does it look spectacular. But boy, both gameplay and story are really bad.

37. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 [NDS]: 4/5, ~15 hours
Finally got around to play this! I really enjoyed my time with this game, great atmosphere. The puzzles tend to be a bit on the easy side, could have been a little more challenging I guess. Still, very nice game.

telly

« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2016, 03:17:18 pm »
Game 21 - Metal Gear Solid (PS1) - 11 Hours

Ughhh long review this time around! Let me begin by just saying that I have never been a particularly big fan of the Metal Gear Solid series. The only game I really enjoyed was MGS3,  but after playing through 2-4, I wanted to see what the first game was like. It was after all the game that kick-started a lot of interest in the series in the first place.

+ First, this game did a ton of really interesting and innovative things. I loved how they took full advantage of the vibration and memory card features in the PS1. It never gets old and is still really cool to see. There were also some great moments in this game, like the credits and ending, and the big buildup in the first moments of the story. I also really enjoyed most of the boss fights and VR missions. There also are a lot of hidden secrets, references and replay value, which I can appreciate.

- There were two big things I do not like about this game. The first is the gameplay and controls. It is so hard to hit anything by shooting that I usually just drop a stun grenade and auto knock out all soldiers in the stage. In addition, the radar is wayyy to overpowered and completely breaks any difficulty the game has to offer. Being able to see enemy movement, looking cone, position and the layout of the terrain makes the game too easy. Taking the radar away in hard mode, however, makes the game impossible if your a first time player like me. So, most of the game was me running around keeping my eyes glued to the radar instead of the actual game, and throwing stun grenades to walk by enemies that I couldn't engage because the fighting controls are so unresponsive and inaccurate, it's not worth trying. It was overall very unfulfilling and boring to play this game, whereas later games in the series do have a lot better and more refined gameplay

The second thing I personally don't like about this game is the story: I have always had issues with storytelling in Metal Gear games, and this one was no different. It seems to me like every MGS story has:
1. Bloated, redundant, plodding, confusing and ridiculous writing that's not concise or centralized at all.
2. Plot twist after plot twist and betrayal after betrayal explained by information that's hastily added in after the fact to make it actually make sense
3. Multiple different central themes and ideas that dilute the main idea of the game. In this game in particular, nuclear nonproliferation conflicts with love on the battlefield, genetics and destiny, following orders and superiors, the cost of advancing technology and science... it's just too much content in my opinion; this game has many ideas to tell but excels at telling none of them.

After seeing all of the above again in this game and hearing Snake repeat the last word of whatever was said last with a question mark on the end over and over again, I gave up. I just couldn't enjoy the game anymore. I thought this game would be more like MG3 and scale things a little, but I was still disappointed.

So, TL:DR, I personally do not like this game. The issues I have with the storytelling in MGS games are still here, but now the gameplay sucks as well. I would like to try out Twin Snakes and MGSV at some point, but I for me, MGS3 is still the best game in the series (I would argue it's the only good one, too  :o). This was quite the ranty post from me, sorry guys.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:16:52 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #319 on: July 29, 2016, 04:10:21 pm »
Yeah MGS has always been kinda messy.  I also love MGS3, it's probably my favorite, with MGSV in second, which I think says something about an unfinished game.

« Reply #320 on: July 29, 2016, 04:53:42 pm »
I loved MGSV.  I've only played Metal Gear and MGSV... and maybe 10 minutes of MGS and MGS2.  I'm planning on playing all of the games in the franchise this year, but I always get conflicted on whether or not I want to play MGS or Twin Snakes.  I feel like I'll enjoy Twin Snakes more than the original.

« Reply #321 on: July 29, 2016, 04:58:07 pm »
I loved MGSV.  I've only played Metal Gear and MGSV... and maybe 10 minutes of MGS and MGS2.  I'm planning on playing all of the games in the franchise this year, but I always get conflicted on whether or not I want to play MGS or Twin Snakes.  I feel like I'll enjoy Twin Snakes more than the original.

The original MGS is kinda rough to go back to.  I'd probably recommend Twin Snakes over that.  Not that I've played much of either, but what I saw was that it was definitely a worthwhile improvement, especially if wanting to go back to it today.

« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:12 pm »
Newest review:

30. Killer Instinct Gold (N64): Having only played this game once before when it first came out, I forgot how deep and fun the combat in this game is! The famous combo system is pretty fun to master and when you pull it off you feel like a total boss! The characters all play pretty different and the stages are really cool. For what it's worth, it's one of the best fighting games on the N64.

telly

« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2016, 06:34:53 pm »
Game 22 - Super Monkey Ball 2 (10 Hours)

+ This game was really a lot of fun! It's got good level design and challenging but addicting gameplay; it was really hard to put this game down, I wanted to play the next challenge after! Also the game has a lot of fun party options as well, I'm looking forward to trying it out with some friends at some point.

- I had some issues trying to center the camera behind myself. Since movement is based on the camera, it can be a little tricky to navigate some tough platforms when you can't be directly behind your monkey. It would have been nice to have a button that automatically re-centered the camera.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:57:22 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2016, 08:17:41 pm »
Now with the "reviews"

1.   Not a Hero (Steam) 7/10, ~6 Hours

A crazy bunny man runs for Mayer of the world and contracts mercenaries to apply his campaign strategy, killing all bad guys. Seems like an act of justice, but is a gore massacre delivered by you, the player.

Its similar to Gunpoint, but with more fast packed action gunfight and an insane level of difficult, at last for these how try 100%.

2.   Gravity Ghost (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours

A beautiful tale about family, friendship and death. Control a girl trough the spirit realm and save the day while recovering memories. For that, use your ability to float in low gravity levels and acquire terraforming powers.

3.   Batman (NES) 5/10, ~2 Hours

An action platform featuring batman as a hero in a world that has not to do with him, except for the existence of Joker. In general a pretty easy and fun game, until the last boss. Some levels seems a bit broken as well.

4.   Flame Over (Steam) 7/10, ~9 Hours

An arcade game at the mold of the classic Fireman (SNES), and with some elements from Ignition Force (SNES). Short, difficult, but fun.

5.   One Upon Light (Steam) 4/10, ~1Hour

Puzzle game about light and shadow. You’re a scientist how can’t traverse light due to a mysterious accident. Very poorly design on some levels, and very boring.

6.   Earthbound (SNES) 10/10, ~30 Hours

SNES RPG Classic. Need to say more?

7.   Star Fox Zero (Wii U) 9/10, ~4 Hours

It’s a remake of Star Fox 64... wich was a remake of Star Fox (NES). Basically, Nintendo still don’t know how to create a new game for the franchise at the mold of these old classics, and therefore contracted another company to reset the timeline again.

The result although was an incredibly beautiful and well made game.

8.   Dark Souls (PS3) 9/10,  ~200 Hours

The hardest game on earth…. Kkkkkkkkkkk. Ok, not so much. I actually find it ok on the difficult level. It just take time to learn the enemies pattern and to grind sometimes.

9.   Dark Souls 2 – Scholar of the First Sin (PC) 7/10, ~131 Hours

This one is harder, at last on the DLCs. Not as good as the first one.

10.   ChromaGun (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours

Miss Portal? Then try this. Awesome action puzzle with a color gun.

11.   Firewatch (Steam) 8/10, ~4 Hours

The new adventure game from the creator of Gone Home. Beautiful scenery, interesting story and fantastic characters. Still, could be better.

12.   Luftrausers (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours

Incredible 2D dogfight game. Hard, but awesome!

13.   Dreaming Sarah (Steam) 9/10, ~2 Hours

Cinematic platform as you never seen before.

14.   Blitz Breaker (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours

Very fast-paced 2D action platform with fantastic level design.

15.   Project Neon (Game Jam) 9/10, ~30 Mins

Shoot targets, bounce on arrows. Seems to simple, but the result was an amazing game. Extremely creative.

16.   She Wants Me Dead (Steam) 7/10, ~2 Hours

Super Meat Boy was easy, this is hard.

17.   The Ninja Warriors (SNES) 7/10, ~2 Hours

Single player beat em up with robot ninjas. Short, but fun.

18.   Aladdin (SNES) 9/10, ~2 Hours (Replay)

Just play it, ok.

19.   Mighty No. 9 (Steam) 7/10, ~4 Hours

Sorry reviewers and Megaman fanbase, but this game is good. It’s just not the best one, have a lot of flaws on the last level and had spending close to nothing of the collected money, but still good. 

20.   Titan Souls (Steam) 8/10, ~5 Hours

Shadow of Colossus 2D. Ideal for those how like boss fights.

21.   Neon Drive 8/10, ~1Hour

Psychedelic hybrid between race and rhythm game. Lot’s of great music and frenetic gameplay. Love it.

22.   Dropsy (Steam) 8/10, ~6Hours

The sad clown that can’t speak adventure. Good, but I was expecting more. The semi open world and the side missions ware great.

23.  Ghost 1.0 (Steam) 10/10 (Steam), ~18Hours

A hybrid between Metroidvania and Rogue Like from the creator of Unepic. Very challenging, funny dialogues with nerd references to sci-fi and a fantastic weapon system.

PlayerC90

« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:54 am »
38. Final Fantasy III [steam]: 3/5, 52 hours and counting
I forgot how much I like FFIII. Sure, the job system isn't as complex as in V, but still fun to mess around with. This mobile port isn't the best, but that's okay. I beat the game at less than 30 hours, but a lot of grinding is required to even have a chance against the superboss  :-\
39. Pony Island [steam]: 3/5, ~3 hours
Not much to say about this one, short and pretty fun.

shfan

« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2016, 12:06:14 pm »
13) Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires (360)

The game I got with my first 360, hard to believe it's a decade old, though its PS2 graphics don't lie. It's much simpler than modern iterations, a bit grindy, but it was still fun for the most part. The hilarious voice acting is also a huge plus. I'm not sure if I ever did manage to beat this back in the day, but it's done now.

kashell

« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
Finally, those reviews I submitted were accepted. It took them long enough!

telly

« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
Game 23 - Batman : Arkham Asylum (PS3) - Unknown play time, probably about 12 hours

+ This game was really really good. I really enjoyed the combat, stealth elements exploration and hunting for all the hidden secrets and Easter eggs that the Riddler leaves for you. I really liked some of the more darker and interesting/scary moments in the game, especially the times fighting Scarecrow and exploring the containment areas of Arkham Island. I must say, I think I like this game a little better than Arkham City

- The one thing that I did not like about this game was the boss battles, particularly the final boss battle, which was awful. That's really the only thing I can think of though, this is a great game and worthy of the praise, at least to me.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:17:00 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

kashell

« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2016, 04:15:38 pm »
I gotta believe! I finished the PSP version of PaRappa the Rapper. It's such a great game!