Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 66095 times)

abe

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
Yesss. For me, I just wish they could do more with the show and make it more consistent. I get frustrated when Ash never wins a League championship for once, his Pikachu still sucks in battle, and all the gym battles and episodes are really formulaic from season to season, especially in the later ones.  >:(

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, I get that there are certain sacrifices that need to be made because it's targeted at kids. Doesn't mean I have to like it any more lol
I actually want to see the Pokemon series where it's based off of the games with Red and Green/Blue instead of Ash and Gary.

There is a short 4 episode special series thingie called Pokemon: The Origin that features Red and Green/Blue.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2016, 09:15:27 pm »
Yesss. For me, I just wish they could do more with the show and make it more consistent. I get frustrated when Ash never wins a League championship for once, his Pikachu still sucks in battle, and all the gym battles and episodes are really formulaic from season to season, especially in the later ones.  >:(

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, I get that there are certain sacrifices that need to be made because it's targeted at kids. Doesn't mean I have to like it any more lol
I actually want to see the Pokemon series where it's based off of the games with Red and Green/Blue instead of Ash and Gary.

There is a short 4 episode special series thingie called Pokemon: The Origin that features Red and Green/Blue.
Yes, that.  I thought it lasted longer than 4 episodes.

abe

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2016, 09:23:38 pm »

Yes, that.  I thought it lasted longer than 4 episodes.
Unfortunately not. :(

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:42 pm »
Man, Stardew Valley has killed my forward momentum on my list lol I am starting to get a little bored at about 50 hours into the game, so I might go back to try and get through Wind Waker.  Really wanting to beat that so I can get to Twilight Princess.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:53 pm »
Can I count all the games I played at the Louisville Arcade Expo? 

Robotron 2084 - Sweet Baby Jesus!  I need more of this game.  What a good time.  It's got such a unique control style with 2 joysticks and no buttons.  Man, I enjoyed this. 

*Must fight the urge to buy this cabinet*  *Must just play it in MAME*

kashell

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:08 am »
Can I count all the games I played at the Louisville Arcade Expo? 

Robotron 2084 - Sweet Baby Jesus!  I need more of this game.  What a good time.  It's got such a unique control style with 2 joysticks and no buttons.  Man, I enjoyed this. 

*Must fight the urge to buy this cabinet*  *Must just play it in MAME*

Hell, I'd be at 152 if counting the arcade games and console games played at the Arcade Expo:

Bubble Bobble
Contra
Mega Man 8
Smash 64
Melee

And that was just during the first evening.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:02:48 am by kashell »

retroone

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2016, 03:32:22 pm »
1. Portal Stories: Mel (Steam) Completed The closest thing we're gonna get to Portal 3! Amazing mod! Achievement Progress 100%
2. Emily is Away (Steam) Completed I have no idea why I played this Achievement Progress 100%
3. The Walking Dead (PS4) Completed I played the series in reverse but this game is overall better than Season 2 Trophy Progress 100%
4. Teslagrad (PS4) Completed Would recommend to anyone who is interested in Metroid-esque games. Trophy Progress 100%
5. LittleBIGPlanet 3 (PS4) Completed Great game, but ruined but numerous glitches and bugs. Trophy Progress 100%
6. inFAMOUS Second Son (PS4) Completed This game is amazing. Play it now. Trophy Progress 100%
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) Completed Great game, never play through the game on UBER legit. Trophy Progress 100%
8. Gun.Smoke (NES) Beat Blistered thumbs! Used unlimited continues.

*Added Gun.Smoke (NES)

spac316

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2016, 05:22:21 pm »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:42:21 pm by spac316 »

abe

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2016, 03:13:32 pm »
Finished playing through Kirby 64 today. It was enjoyable and cute as expected from the series, though I felt it didn't control quite as well as other Kirby games. Maybe it was just my controller. ??? The graphics are pretty decent for an N64 game. The 3D environments were nice, but the way some of the levels were laid out suffered as a result. In particular, the mall level (or toy factory, whatever it was supposed to be) was pretty awful. It was still more than enough fun for what I paid for it, despite its shortcomings.

Finished Games (replayed games are in purple)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Jan-17
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA) Jan-31
  • Hoshi no Kirby 2 (GB) [JP] Feb-07
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) Feb-09
  • Hoshi no Kirby (GB) [JP] Feb-16
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) Feb-16
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS) Mar-01
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (WiiU) Mar-11
  • Pikmin 3 (WiiU) Mar-13
  • Hoshi no Kirby 64 (N64) [JP] Mar-17 **New**

kashell

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2016, 09:28:11 am »
Some reviews have been added to my original post!

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »
13 - Metal Slug 3 (PC) - 80 Minutes FINISHED - This was a miserable, torturous, experience, that was thankfully short. On the other hand the charm it has is top notch and it has the best sprite work.  These games are just not fun.  If it had like half the enemies and projectiles, it might be more of an actually entertaining experience.  Thankfully with basically infinite lives, I could just brute force my way through.  I think it said I used 60 continues lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:27:01 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »
Jesus! I've been playing through one game that is seemingly never ending! Whenever I think I'm almost done, nope! There's more! I think I started it back in early February and am still trucking away. I may have to play something in between because I'm getting slightly fatigued.

maximo310

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2016, 10:29:10 pm »
13 - Metal Slug 3 (PC) - 80 Minutes FINISHED - This was a miserable, torturous, experience, that was thankfully short. On the other hand the charm it has is top notch and it has the best sprite work.  These games are just not fun.  If it had like half the enemies and projectiles, it might be more of an actually entertaining experience.  Thankfully with basically infinite lives, I could just brute force my way through.  I think it said I used 60 continues lol
I think X and 3 were great for challenging 1ccs, but 3 especially is quite on the long side. Metal Slug 1 would probably  be a more enjoyable experience if you feel overwhelmed by the sheer challenge of Slug X/3, etc. It's got a lot less enemies to deal with, and the overall difficulty level is easier compared to the later games.

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2016, 11:46:23 pm »
I think X and 3 were great for challenging 1ccs, but 3 especially is quite on the long side. Metal Slug 1 would probably  be a more enjoyable experience if you feel overwhelmed by the sheer challenge of Slug X/3, etc. It's got a lot less enemies to deal with, and the overall difficulty level is easier compared to the later games.

I'm cool with the length, it's only an hour and a half and that's from me just dying constantly all the way through.  I imagine like a more comfortable run of the game is closer to an hour.  It's just an artificial challenge to me, rather than one designed around good enemy patterns and relying on your skill.  I know it's because it's an arcade game, it's designed to be purposefully unfair, but I'd rather the challenge of the game come from quality enemy patterns that push you, but are realistic with its difficulty.

I might check out Metal Slug 1 if it's more reasonable, maybe on a sale sometime since I know it's a very short game.

maximo310

« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2016, 12:28:07 am »

I'm cool with the length, it's only an hour and a half and that's from me just dying constantly all the way through.  I imagine like a more comfortable run of the game is closer to an hour.  It's just an artificial challenge to me, rather than one designed around good enemy patterns and relying on your skill.  I know it's because it's an arcade game, it's designed to be purposefully unfair, but I'd rather the challenge of the game come from quality enemy patterns that push you, but are realistic with its difficulty.

I might check out Metal Slug 1 if it's more reasonable, maybe on a sale sometime since I know it's a very short game.
I think you're right about enemy patterns and such, but I remember the biggest problem when doing the 1cc is that the huge length of stage 5 makes it significantly harder to not lose lives over the various sections of that stage. It doesn't help that there are no extends in the game to help ease the difficulty at all, especially due to the length ( it usually it about 60 minutes for a reg run), because I haven't really gone back to it since I beat it 2 years ago.

Metal Slug 1, in comparison feels a lot shorter and more managable; the game was intentionally not supposed to have many enemies, since the developers were worried about the possibility of slowdown from too many enemies and wanted to keep the action to be fun and fast. It's too bad that none of the other entries are as fair as Metal Slug 1.