Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 70087 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:54 am »
I still might have a chance at getting 52 games beat this year.  52 games played will be easy, but only about half way there on beaten.  I got about 6 or 7 games coming out the rest of the year that I plan to buy, I got 2 games to finish on my list already, and I have a backlog of like a dozen games on PC and PS4 that have built up and I just added 2 more with Journey and Lords of the Fallen coming out for free on PS+.

It's honestly going to be a photo finish for me this year. I've had a crazy year so far and my life for better and for worse has got in the way of me playing a lot of games in my backlog. Sadly, many of the games i have played/beat have been games you can easily get through in a few hours if even that. I did a fair amount of these reviews last year, but I made a point to try and do more in depth games this year. Sadly, next year will likely be a year I may only reach half of the 52 games goal since there is already looking to be a significant amount of stuff I'll need to do. But for what it's worth, I will try and finish strong and get 52-games out of the way before year's end.

« Reply #361 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:41 am »
Not making much progress at all.  I don't think I beat many games in August and haven't beaten any so far this month.  I've been playing Fallout 4 for quite some time.

I played a little Dark Souls since my wife's cousin came over.

kashell

« Reply #362 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:46 am »
I (slightly) updated my review page. Reviews that are in teal are for games that I did not finish.

« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2016, 01:08:04 am »
33 - Journey (PS4) - FINISHED - I'm glad I never bought this, but I didn't hate my experience.  The character and "co-op" are charming, and visually it's quite a treat, but I feel like generally it was fairly boring.  It feels more like it would be better served as like a 20 to 30 minute high quality CG short than a 2 hour game experience.  It's kinda grown as this darling gaming gem since it released and in the end, but I feel it's slightly overhyped.  Maybe because of the generic background plot to the whole thing and the nothing ending just mostly kept the experience kinda flat.  Again, I don't hate it, but I'm never likely to play it again.  I guess I can be thankful they didn't just pad it out for like 5 hours or something.  That would've actually made me hate the game lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2016, 01:15:18 am »
I still might have a chance at getting 52 games beat this year.  52 games played will be easy, but only about half way there on beaten.  I got about 6 or 7 games coming out the rest of the year that I plan to buy, I got 2 games to finish on my list already, and I have a backlog of like a dozen games on PC and PS4 that have built up and I just added 2 more with Journey and Lords of the Fallen coming out for free on PS+.

It's honestly going to be a photo finish for me this year. I've had a crazy year so far and my life for better and for worse has got in the way of me playing a lot of games in my backlog. Sadly, many of the games i have played/beat have been games you can easily get through in a few hours if even that. I did a fair amount of these reviews last year, but I made a point to try and do more in depth games this year. Sadly, next year will likely be a year I may only reach half of the 52 games goal since there is already looking to be a significant amount of stuff I'll need to do. But for what it's worth, I will try and finish strong and get 52-games out of the way before year's end.

I don't think I'll be hitting 52 this year. I've picked some pretty involved games and have committed to playing them to completion. I don't regret it, but I'm only at 24/52.

PlayerC90

« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2016, 01:51:04 pm »
Original post: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg111013.html#msg111013

45. Hexcells Plus [steam]: 3/5, ~9 hours
A lot harder than the first game, but enjoyable nonetheless.

46. DOOM [steam]: 4/5, 17-18 hours
Easily one of my favourite FPS in years. Maybe a bit slow at the start, but once it picks up, boy does it pick up.

47. Hexcells Infinite [steam]: 3/5, ~10 hours
Quite similar to Hexcells Plus, except that it also has computer generated level. These aren't that good unfortunately.

48. Dino Stalker  [PS2]: 2/5, <1 hour
This game is really not good heh. Bad controls and super short. Now only Dino Crisis 3 is left, unfortunately I don't have an Xbox currently.

kashell

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2016, 06:23:06 pm »
Finally, got some new reviews posted. One for Conception II and the other for Hatsune Miku Project Diva X.

telly

« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2016, 10:55:40 pm »
Game 27 - Super Mario World (SNES) - Unknown play time

+ Obviously this game is a classic. Classic gameplay, music, and just a ton of fun. I haven't played SMB 2 or 3, so I don't know how innovative this game was over the last entry in this series (Yoshi obviously), but regardless, this is a game that everyone enjoys and for good reason.

- My only nitpick is that the spare item drops out automatically whenever you get hit, whether you're ready to receive it or not. I wish you could save it even after you got hit so you could use it when you want to. Sometimes you get hit and the item will drop through a high wall and will become inaccessible, or in a place where you can't get to it without dying.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:12:20 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2016, 05:39:04 am »
34 - Attack on Titan (PS4) - FINISHED - This ended up being a much more fun game than I was expecting.  I thought it was gonna be too similar to the other Musou games, your Hyrule Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Dragon Quest Heroes, etc, but the complete shift in combat that deals with Titans using the maneuver gear really amps things up.  Rather than just mindlessly dealing with waves of pointless enemies, you are specifically targeting titans.  Makes it feel like you are in more control rather than just spamming combos. 

It does have a lot of the same setup and extra stuff that those games have, side-missions to grind for leveling up, gear to unlock and craft, but as a fan of the series, I think it does enough to draw you in.  It even has some bonus material after the main story that seems to be from the manga and upcoming season, though it's honestly kinda silly, but it is new content, so I'll finish that up and spend time doing the survey missions to try and unlock more.  It's much like Hyrule Warriors was in that way, though it feels less intimidating because there are a lot less characters and items to deal with.

Sidenote, if you plan to get the game, I'd recommend grinding the expedition stuff a good bit after every chapter.  I did one full survey area before I left with the Scout Regiment out of the city and you are out in the plains and such fighting, but there's a definite up tick in difficulty around when you gotta start dealing with the female titan.  She's meant to be hard, but I felt like my damage was pretty low at times fighting her, even with Levi.  Just got a tad frustrating dealing with her in a bunch of missions, so definitely recommend extra grinding to really beef up your gear and particularly Armin and Levi going against her if you can.  You'll have to do it anyways, so might as well do it when it benefits you more.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:44:52 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2016, 08:41:44 am »
Gah, I don't know if I've beaten more than 2 games in the past 2 months.  My ratio is totally down.  After a day or two more of Fallout 4, I really really need to move on to something else.

kashell

« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2016, 08:51:57 am »
Gah, I don't know if I've beaten more than 2 games in the past 2 months.  My ratio is totally down.  After a day or two more of Fallout 4, I really really need to move on to something else.

Haunting Ground!

« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:10 am »

Haunting Ground!
Good Gosh, Kash.  Keep yelling at me to play it, I might just remember when I'm done with Fallout 4.  I got the last achievement yesterday, now I want to check out the mods and survival mode.  I'm already pretty tired of survival mode.

Haunting Ground will likely have to be one of those games I play with my wife.  It'll be what is probably my second foray into the survival horror genre.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:58:09 am by ignition365 »

kashell

« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2016, 09:10:14 am »
I got your back. I'll keep reminding you.

kashell

« Reply #373 on: September 26, 2016, 09:39:50 am »
Time to start writing some reviews. I finished both 7th Dragon III and Mega Man Xtreme! I'm still waiting for the review for Baten Kaitos Origins to get accepted.

« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2016, 08:15:43 am »
I got your back. I'll keep reminding you.
Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.  I don't like Hewie.  Hewie is the worst.

I'm trying to use a walkthrough for the game, but events are definitely not happening in the same order.  I got chased by Debilitas, but I couldn't get rid of him.  Eventually I flipped a bookcase on to him when he was trying to play peekaboo.  So I'm like, good, he's taken care of until I get to a cutscene where he'll get free, awesome.  Well, the walkthrough told me, "Tell Hewie to hide in this hole in the wall, he won't come out until you tell him to", so I did.  I proceeded like it told me, and then I decided to walk back for some damned reason, and Debilitas respawned.  So I went and hid in some bushes.  Debilitas is running around like a chicken with his head cut off.  Eventually he gives up and starts walking away.  Right as Debilitas is about to walk off screen into another "zone", HEWIE FUCKING COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND TAUNTS THE BASTARD.  So Hewie brings the Debilitas back to me and then Hewie runs into the zone I need to go into and Debilitas follows... and then I get the Coast Clear message.

Hewie is the worst.