Author Topic: sticker on box removal  (Read 3052 times)

htimreimer

sticker on box removal
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
i have a odyssey 2 game box that has a sticker on the front how do i remove it

ffxik

Re: sticker on box removal
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »
not ture there is a way to remove it without damaging the box.  You could try Goo GOne or the like, but I won't guarantee anything.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »
Depending on how old/crusty the sticker is, use lighter fluid.  It will take pretty much any type of sticker or adhesive off.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:15:56 pm »
Lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol. If you get some isopropyl alcohol and dab it on most stickers will come off. It evaporates quickly too which helps to not damage the box.

scott

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:17:53 pm »
Ya I'd go Matt's route before attempting goo gone. That stuff scares me. It took off the paint on an aluminum sheet at work once, when we were trying to remove a decal.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
I use goo gone exclusively and I haven't had any issue with it on any cart or guide book. You just dab some on the sticker, let it sit for about 15-30 minutes and peel it off. I always take a slightly damp paper towel to wipe away the goo gone after I get the sticker off.

I've never damaged anything with it.

soera

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
I had bought a few CD games on Ebay with some guard thing on it. I used lighter fluid and it took it off.

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
Lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol are good alternatives.  Although like darko I have never had any problems with Goo Gone.  

As far as CD games go I haven't found anything that will remove Movie Gallery protective covers. They're usually plastic and nothing is able to penetrate to the adhesive. I wrecked a Mega Man X6 disc trying to remove the blasted thing. Paper Game Exchange labels are easy though.

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »
Have you tried heat on those plastic covers?  I've never ran into one, so I can't be sure, but a hair dryer on low might work.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

soera

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »
Thats what mine was ... the protective cover. What I did was get a razor to start getting under it. Once I got enough of the edge around the CD removed, I just peeled it off. Those things are tough as hell and out of 4 disks, not one ripped (they were so tough that one of my disks actually broke in the pulling off process but the stupid guard still didnt rip). Once I got the guard off, I just cleaned the top of the disks.

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:22 pm »
I have used Goo Gone on boxes before. I just slowly peeled the sticker away sooner than I would if it was on a case.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:03 am »
Have you used Goo Gone on cart labels?  I have a few that need some stickers off, but I'm scared I'll ruin the label. 

darko

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 01:02:56 pm »
I've used it on SNES and NES cart labels before. As long as you are careful it should be fine. I would try to remove as much of the sticker as possible before applying the googone. Also, I would put some on a paper towel, dab on the googone and then let it sit for about 2 minutes. After that see what you can get off and repeat the process until you're satisfied. This should keep the label intact and enable you to remove the sticker residue.

If it's an N64 game I'd be really careful since the labels don't have the nice shiny layer over the art.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
I would be scared to try goo gone to remove a sticker on colored cardboard.  I personally would try a blow dryer first.  If you heat up that glue a little it may peel off easily.  On plastic goo gone works great, but I've tried to use it to remove stickers that overlap the labels and had it ruin the label too.

darko

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:42 pm »
For what it's worth I used goo gone to get sticker residue off of a 360 label today, as in the paper, not the plastic :)