Author Topic: What's the most you've ever spent on a single game?  (Read 2944 times)

What's the most you've ever spent on a single game?
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:31:12 am »
What game did you spend the most money on, ever?

For me it was Shenmue 3 during the Kickstarter campaign last summer. I dropped $700 on it, which honestly I would have dropped more if I could have afforded it. I decided to put my money where my mouth was and back the game I spent years syaing I'd do anything to see it become a reality.

If we're talking a non-crowdfunded game, I spent $130 on Misadventures of Tron Bonne for PS1 about a year ago. Found it at a game store in mint condition and the price was relatively excellent so I went for it.

Re: What's the most you've ever spent on a single game?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:55:30 am »
194 On a mint CIB Complete obviously Chrono Trigger, The least I ever spent on a game that became expensive is Suikoden 2, I found it in my moms garage while cleaning after her tenant up and vanished without paying rent. Biggest score of my collecting career.

kashell

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:11 am »
I won't say how much, but the most expensive game I purchased was Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Luckily, it's been worth every rosy-red cent so far and I'm already anxious to replay it.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:36:01 am »
Kickstarter... I spent $210 I think on Bloodstained.  I don't recall how much I spent on Mighty No. 9, but I regret it, but that's neither here nor there.

Non-Kickstarter... My wife made me buy the Clap-trap in a box Borderlands collection, that was definitely more than $210.  I don't know if I've ever spent more on a game than that.

Non special edition purchase... Probably Mega Man X3 or Mega Man 7 at about $150.  I think the two of those were my biggest individual secondhand purchases.

indenton

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:30 am »
The Indivisible Crowdfunder was looking pretty sketchy towards the last few days, I upped my pledge twice, so I ended up throwing in $175 + $15 for shipping to try and bring Indivisible to life.  That translates to about £131.00. 

But then, one dark and stormy night, the scalpers stole Fire Emblem Fates: Special Edition from me, I sank 170 Euros (that's about £133) for the sheer convenience of not slaving over a website waiting for a mere chance that someone cancels their order.  Does that count as 3 games?

Money's no object anymore, I know I'm going to love both of these games
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:40:15 am by indenton »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 09:11:38 am »
I bought Little Samson.... last year.... at a convention..... Yeah, it wasn't cheap.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:35 am »
Maybe around $500 on Diablo II. I have 2x base game and 2x Expansion, not from Battlechest. My original copies of base+expansion were day 1 release purchases, I believe the other two came later. Then a few hundred in P2W purchases.

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:46:27 am »
I bought a copy of megaman x3... not gong to get into how much I spent on it but rest assured I spend way more than e-bay and regret paying the price I paid for it. But I did find it in the wild and I did take it apart to make sure it was real and worked.

EDIT: good news is the e-bay price seems to be catching up with my purchase.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:48:54 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:54:38 am »
I bought a copy of megaman x3... not gong to get into how much I spent on it but rest assured I spend way more than e-bay and regret paying the price I paid for it. But I did find it in the wild and I did take it apart to make sure it was real and worked.

Why would you pay more than eBay price in person? Not sure why anyone would think selling something over eBay price is okay. Meh.

Anyways, to answer the question. $210 for a mint authentic Earthbound cartridge.

Badges

abe

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:28 am »
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, with the Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance limited edition in second place. FE: PoR isn't a particularly cheap game, but I really wanted and decided it would be worth it to me personally to get it for the price it goes for now. Disgaea 5's LE was as expensive as it was for me only because the Canadian dollar was pretty shitty at the time I paid for it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:19:37 am »
$125 for the COD NVG
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

rayne315

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 11:28:10 am »

Why would you pay more than eBay price in person? Not sure why anyone would think selling something over eBay price is okay. Meh.

Anyways, to answer the question. $210 for a mint authentic Earthbound cartridge.

a couple of reasons.
1. at the time I did not know the price for it
2. it is the only copy I have EVER seen of it in person even to this day. (and I have seen more than a few other collectors collections)
3. I knew without a doubt that if I did not buy it then I would not have another chance at it. And finally
4. I have a love for mega man games

as an additional note as I said I regret the price I paid for it.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 11:42:26 am »
75 euro's on a pal Castlevania symphony of the night CE for ps1.

Don't regret it value wise it has sky rocketed aside from being an excellent game that drove me towards ps1 and ps2 collecting.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:43:57 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:19 pm »
For a non-collector's edition, I spent $125 on a complete in box copy of Castlevania Dracula X for the SNES. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:12:07 pm »
Also Shenmue III for me, payed $100 through the kickstarter. That's unusual for me since I rarely spend more than $50 buying games in a single sitting but I think it was worth it  :)
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery