Author Topic: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?  (Read 13347 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Does anyone find the PS3, and xbox 360 boring?
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2016, 02:21:55 pm »
I would also include walls of text to that as well, eesh  :o

Telly, see all posts by:  Dreama and sword-dud.

Heh, I guess that sword-dud's sticking then, eh?  :o

LOL...another VGCer used that a while back.  The originator should claim his bragging rights!   
:P

Yep, that was me. <3

*steps lightly off of Kash's toes*

You can step harder. I like it rough.

Don't tease!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

dreama1

« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2016, 12:53:33 am »
Do I find the PS3 and/or 360 boring?

I don't find either one even nearly as boring as dreama and/or sworddud's drivelly-antagonistic-laden posts or topics...That might just be me, though  ::)
Yet here you are, and making your own ones, which are instantly hip and cool but of course, and It's to bad this place isn't liberal arts museum. But it's fine, it's in good humour I guess.  ;)

Really through, nothing wrong with some Socratic dialogue. They were both clearly very passionate in what they believe; that's good, and it was informative at least to me reading back their exchange if you get down to the meat of it. But maybe we are the two that everyone loves to hate on here guilt free.  :P

これは良いと罰金、ありがとうございます・
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:02:17 am by dreama1 »

theflea

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 01:05:38 pm »
Do I find the newer games boring? Well some I do. But I love a lot of them.
They are fun to play, just once you beat them they usually never get touched again. I loved games like Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas but after beating them into the ground having nothing left to do but start over or just mess around in their vast worlds I don't see me playing these games again.
While old classics I find I can put in again and again and still want to play them.
I do think older games have better replay value over newer games.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:29 pm »
I think you'd be hard pressed to find any console with a decent library size that could be unequivocally called boring.  There just has to be something that you enjoy in there somewhere.  Especially on the 360 (can't speak quite as much to the PS3).  Don't like the AAA titles?  X-Box live has some phenomenal games that are as radically different from COD and GTA that you can get.

HarvestDude

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2016, 10:34:26 pm »
Coming to answer very, very late, so...

Absolutely not!

Both Ps3 and 360 were true "flexible" consoles of their generation.

You could find games for every taste, high-tech or with that old 8 and 16-bliss...

Also, that generation became real multimedia, playing videos, music and playing online, with chat n´all, things only pc´s could properly do until them.

They were packed with a ton of games and they did a great step forward on making videogames real entertainment machines for your home.

Nothing boring about them at all. That generation really impressed me compared to others, in a very good way.

HarvestDude™

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2016, 03:32:07 am »
When the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out I had actually been on a hiatus from gaming because of career and marriage (life was way too busy). I mainly bought the PS3 to take advantage of the Blu-Ray player. I had just picked up a 65 inch HD tv and was ready to use it to its full potential. The PS3 came out a few months after the $1000 Blu-ray players so I waited it out and picked one up on day one. The 360 I picked up because it was an intriguing console. I had missed out on the first Xbox and had heard good things about Microsoft and what they brought to the console field.

I ended up loving both consoles especially after Sony finally got their online setup fixed.

No way is either console boring. Xbox 360 revolutionized online gaming in that time period. Sony revolutionized digital gaming with PlayStation Plus. I'm glad to have been so active in those years they were fun!
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

Warmsignal

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:08 pm »
Has anyone mentioned yet, that Xbox 360 and PS3 are definitely not classic gaming?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2016, 09:07:35 pm »
Has anyone mentioned yet, that Xbox 360 and PS3 are definitely not classic gaming?
"Pretty much anything pre-Current Gen fits in here" I think that the 360/PS3/Wii fit in that description now especially since we are on the 3rd/4th year of this console cycle. not to mention we are already in talks about a successor to the Xbone & Wii U coming next year.

Warmsignal

« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:24 pm »
"Pretty much anything pre-Current Gen fits in here" I think that the 360/PS3/Wii fit in that description now especially since we are on the 3rd/4th year of this console cycle. not to mention we are already in talks about a successor to the Xbone & Wii U coming next year.

Well, I personally won't ever consider anything 5th gen or beyond to be classic. Aging maybe, but it'll always be far removed from the origins of mainstream console gaming, despite how old it may eventually get.

sworddude

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:11 am »

Well, I personally won't ever consider anything 5th gen or beyond to be classic. Aging maybe, but it'll always be far removed from the origins of mainstream console gaming, despite how old it may eventually get.

Same here I would never consider anything after 5th gen to be classic gaming.

Except Dreamcast wich is 6st gen but it was 2 years 1998 older earlier than all the other systems even though 6th gen. Furthermore to much classic gaming goodness 2D fighting games and shoot em ups.

Gamecube xbox ps2 etc not that much, also in my eyes wii, xbox 360 and ps3 and onwards will never be considered retro even though it being old since the games are way to different.

I think some different terms will be used when allot of time has passed since i don't think the term retro or classic gaming will suffice on consoles such as the ps3 xbox 360 and pre gen.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
Like it or not, ready or not - I think the day of the "traditional" console is over with PS3 and Xbox 360 being the last of their kind.  Maybe the NX since Nintendo is stuck in the past more often than not.

With the PS4 and Xbox One, we are now seeing these incremental upgrades like the Neo, S and Project Scorpio.  Consoles are now moving into a more PC-like space where different machines can run the same games but at different performance levels.  To me, that is very PC-like.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2016, 12:41:00 pm »
Like it or not, ready or not - I think the day of the "traditional" console is over with PS3 and Xbox 360 being the last of their kind.  Maybe the NX since Nintendo is stuck in the past more often than not.

With the PS4 and Xbox One, we are now seeing these incremental upgrades like the Neo, S and Project Scorpio.  Consoles are now moving into a more PC-like space where different machines can run the same games but at different performance levels.  To me, that is very PC-like.

But that hasn't happened, yet. It's going to be based on how sales do on these incremental systems. If they don't do well, then that's not the future.

I don't know about the masses, but in most of my gaming groups/boards, it seems the gamers that already own a PS4 or XBox One aren't interested. I know I feel that way personally, as well.

gf78

« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
But that hasn't happened, yet. It's going to be based on how sales do on these incremental systems. If they don't do well, then that's not the future.

I don't know about the masses, but in most of my gaming groups/boards, it seems the gamers that already own a PS4 or XBox One aren't interested. I know I feel that way personally, as well.

Well, naturally it hasn't happened yet because we are a few months off from the release of the Xbox One S.  But it is coming.  It's price isn't significantly different from the current model and these systems will sell.  So the proverbial foot is in the door now.  Developers are already making games with these scaling graphics so they will be available at launch.  Being that both Sony and Microsoft have gone on record stating that the games will scale to work on every variation of their platform.  While you or I or any number of people may not have any interest in upgrading, we know not everyone who buys a console "jumps in" in the first, second, third or even fourth year a console is on the market.  Heck, some come even later.  There are still people buying their first 360 or PS3 right now.  For some people, the Neo or S or Scorpio will just be the system they happen to buy. 

Then you have your early adopters and the people who want the "latest & greatest" regardless if they bought a new system last year or last month.  See:  iPhone users.  They buy a new iPhone every year regardless if it does anything different than what they already have.  I myself bought a Galaxy S7 Edge when I just bought my S6 last year.  I did it for the larger screen and waterproofing as well as the expandable storage.  Does the S7 run software that the S6 can't handle?  Nope, not that I have seen. 

While I have no plans of upgrading my PS4 (or Xbox One) to a newer system, I can't rule out the possibility entirely.  At this time, my television is your standard HD.  But my wife and I have been eyeing a Samsung 4K model for over a year now.  We may take that plunge next year when we get our taxes back.  4K gaming at the moment is pointless to me since my television couldn't display it.  But that may all change next year.  If 4K resolutions make a noticeable difference in the games, I may take that plunge as well. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:11 pm »

Well, naturally it hasn't happened yet because we are a few months off from the release of the Xbox One S.  But it is coming.  It's price isn't significantly different from the current model and these systems will sell.  So the proverbial foot is in the door now.  Developers are already making games with these scaling graphics so they will be available at launch.  Being that both Sony and Microsoft have gone on record stating that the games will scale to work on every variation of their platform.  While you or I or any number of people may not have any interest in upgrading, we know not everyone who buys a console "jumps in" in the first, second, third or even fourth year a console is on the market.  Heck, some come even later.  There are still people buying their first 360 or PS3 right now.  For some people, the Neo or S or Scorpio will just be the system they happen to buy. 

Then you have your early adopters and the people who want the "latest & greatest" regardless if they bought a new system last year or last month.  See:  iPhone users.  They buy a new iPhone every year regardless if it does anything different than what they already have.  I myself bought a Galaxy S7 Edge when I just bought my S6 last year.  I did it for the larger screen and waterproofing as well as the expandable storage.  Does the S7 run software that the S6 can't handle?  Nope, not that I have seen. 

While I have no plans of upgrading my PS4 (or Xbox One) to a newer system, I can't rule out the possibility entirely.  At this time, my television is your standard HD.  But my wife and I have been eyeing a Samsung 4K model for over a year now.  We may take that plunge next year when we get our taxes back.  4K gaming at the moment is pointless to me since my television couldn't display it.  But that may all change next year.  If 4K resolutions make a noticeable difference in the games, I may take that plunge as well.

I say this to anyone who decides to buy a brand new state of the art tv. Wait till after black Friday when people get it and realize they don't want it. my mom got a 75" 4k tv after Christmas from walmart with an open box for under a grand. (I believe $600-800)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »
BTW, I'm in agreement that everything pre-current gen should be considered retro. But IMO, a generation isn't really over until you can't buy them at big-box stores (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, ShopKo, etc.) anymore.

Right now, you can still find PS3 and XBox 360 games in big box stores. So I think it's still current, for now. We're still in that in-between period.