Author Topic: A question for those that played Final Fantasy VII *major spoilers*  (Read 2051 times)

kashell

As mentioned, there are some major spoilers ahead if you've been living under a rock. So, proceed with caution and such.

Last warning...

So, I was thinking of replaying FFVII and had a thought: if Aeris wasn't killed, would I use her in my final party set-up? In all of the times I have played FFVII, the party would always be Cloud, Tifa and one other. One time it was Red XIII, another time it was Vincent. But, I thought it would be fun to have Aeris in the party because of her high magic ability. Also, her Limit Breaks were really useful.

Alas, Sephiroth had other plans.

What about the rest of you that played it? Would Aeris have had a place in your party?

retrogemcollector

I personally never liked her or Tifa. I always went for the same party the 6 or 7 times I played the game. I always had a sausage party lol : Cloud, Barret and Later Cid.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:03:13 pm by thedarkpersian »

soera

I absolutely would. Her healing limit break is great and I could imagine it got better with levels.

Im the opposite of the above poster. I always used Tifa and Aeris and Yuffie.

shepard11

I usually had her in my party along with Cloud and I always rotated my 3rd. But Vincent was always a strong contender more so once she died.

haloofthesun

My party is almost always Cloud, Cid, Vincent. If Aeris were available, I'd replace Cid with her probably.

Like you, Cloud and Tifa are a must.

Even before she is offed my Sepheroth I barely used her to be honest. I love her character and her getting killed was genuinely sad, but in terms of strategy and my play style I'm not a big fan of healers (white mages).

My final party has always been Cloud/Tifa/Vincent or Cloud/Tifa/Barrett

soera

I think thats why I like her the most. Every game I play ends up with a white mage of some sort.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Likewise.

Not only for FF VII, though -but- whenever possible, in any and all RPGs (nay, make that *especially* when it comes to RPGs - what with their excessively long play-times and multiple play-throughs that are often required) that I play, I'll always go with strictly female parties...even if it means that I might not have all of the optimal stats and/or maximized build potentials at the end of the game.

Why?

Well, because it's just more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Mind you, that's more *aurally* than it is visually, too...Any game where I'm going to be hearing and listening to 50 plus hours of tween-ish angst and repetitive and cheezed-out battle cries and/or spell and attack names called out - for my sanity - it's damned well going to be the fairer voice, of the fairer sex that I'm gonna be listening to  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

These are some interesting responses. I'm enjoying reading them. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that Aeris would have been left in the reserves. Cloud is required and a powerhouse, so no loss there. Tifa is just wonderful. I think she's misunderstood as a character because of her outfit. Yeah, she's damn fierce but there is a strong yet vulnerable woman behind that fierceness. Also, fisticuffs. The last character has always rotated. Vincent is devilishly sexy and mysterious. Red XIII works as a mage or a fighter.

The next time I play, I might go with Cid. Barrett is my least favorite character for battle, even though he's a cool character for the story.

Likewise.

Not only for FF VII, though -but- whenever possible, in any and all RPGs (nay, make that *especially* when it comes to RPGs - what with their excessively long play-times and multiple play-throughs that are often required) that I play, I'll always go with strictly female parties...even if it means that I might not have all of the optimal stats and/or maximized build potentials at the end of the game.

Same here! When I played Suikoden III, Star Ocean 2, Star Ocean 3 and a bunch of others I went with an all female cast. Power to the people.

telly

I always thought it was weird and potentially frustrating how they gave Aeris the full menu of limit breaks yet she ends up dying, it would suck if you had some decent time invested in her. But I guess they wanted to totally mask her getting killed.

My first play through I did Cloud/Vincent/Cid. The second time I did Cloud/Tifa/Barrett. Since then I usually like to have at least 50/50 male and female in my party
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

Re: A question for those that played Final Fantasy VII *major spoilers*
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:25:16 am »
Poor Cait Sith. He sucks and no one likes him.

telly

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:43 am »

Wasn't his limit break entirely chance based and it could kill your party or something like that?
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 10:36:19 am »

Wasn't his limit break entirely chance based and it could kill your party or something like that?

Yeah. His second (and final) Limit Break was completely randomized. And, if you got two Lucky 7s and a Death Sign (or maybe it was two Death Signs and a 7) you got you a Game Over. It happened to me once and I was furious.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 12:02:25 pm »
Aerith + LB3/4 + Mime => Permanently invincible party

"Sephiroth" was right, the end game would have just been a total cheese if Aerith would have lived.

Though Barrett + Ungarmax + Mime => Insane DPS

You can kill even a weapon-class monster in less than 90 seconds if you boosted him with the power sources, so you may not even have time to use invincible lol.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
I would have had Aeris(th) in my party in the final fight for sure. I was so bummed when she died because I had built that character up so much. I grind a lot in JRPGs so her level was quite high from what I remember.

As other posters wrote - I enjoy having a white mage style character in my party. Especially during the 90's I used to focus more on HP and healing than damage leveling.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01