Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 8764 times)

rayne315

No Man's Sky
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:26:03 am »
I'm thinking everyone who is playing this game is having a little bit of difficulty and would also like a place to put anything interesting they have found.

This game is super confusing and I'm having a bit of difficulty with it. It asked me if I wanted the tutorial and I hit yes but nothing ever popped up. I managed to figure out how to get off of my starting planet but there does not seem to be a way for me to get out of my 2 planet solar system. I'm assuming I need to buy a warp drive at the space station around my planets but as of yet I have not found any from the traders coming and going.

the good news is my 2nd planet although a dead world and a massive drain on life support has very abundant gold reserves so as soon as I find a warp drive I can just straight up buy lots of fuel for it and travel a great distance. through the 4 hours or so I have played (because of my gold world) I have already purchased a MUCH larger ship. 28 inventory slots instead of the starting 15. but the downside is it is bigger bulkier and harder to maneuver so if I ever get into a space battle I am screwed.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

necrosexual

Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:19 am »
mmmm i want this game a bit but a lot of people seem to be having difficulty and i'm dumb as a rock and don't wanna pay so much money to get my ass handed to me ;I

and i was going to play solo offline anyway

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:24:46 am »
The game is a solely singleplayer experience.  You literally cannot interact with other players.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 11:34:48 am »
I want to try this game out, but from what I've read and seen, I have a feeling I will be one of those people that cannot understand the appeal of this game. I know you can explore nearly countless planets, but you are dealing with recycled assets that have slight variations in them from one planet to the next. Given, you'd probably have to sink some serious hours before really seeing these sort of things, but this would definitely take the wind out of my sails while playing. Still, I will suspend judgement until I have a controller in my hands and have played around with it at least for several hours.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:48:03 am »
My understanding is that everything is generated dynamically.  When you discover a new species, the game literally generated the model, name, etc itself.  Not like Borderlands where their bajillion weapons are literally 6 guns with a bunch of interchangeable parts, levels, and flavors.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »
It looks amazing. What a day we live in where it seems that a new video game has lived up to its announcement trailer. I've been watching Waffle play it and really that has sold me on it. I will be playing it when it unlocks on Steam.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »
I bought the game an popped it in and… yeah, I'm not having too great a time. While I do think everything is absolutely beautiful, the amount of time and effort you'd have to put into this game to make it actually fun to play is a bit overwhelming. I'll never say never, and I'll try to play it quite a bit more, but for now the game isn't really too fun for me.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

rayne315

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:58 pm »
The game is a solely singleplayer experience.  You literally cannot interact with other players.

you CAN interact with other players. the problem with it though is with the vastness of this game the chances of you running into another player would be the equivalent of winning the lottery. im assuming as the game progresses and more people get to the center of the universe we will start seeing real people.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:37:13 pm »

you CAN interact with other players. the problem with it though is with the vastness of this game the chances of you running into another player would be the equivalent of winning the lottery. im assuming as the game progresses and more people get to the center of the universe we will start seeing real people.
No.  You CANNOT.  Sean Murray confirmed that it is a strictly singleplayer game.  2 players met up on 1 planet and could not see each other.  Changes made on the planet did not change on the other player's game.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762688708764135425

necrosexual

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 01:36:13 pm »
I bought the game an popped it in and… yeah, I'm not having too great a time. While I do think everything is absolutely beautiful, the amount of time and effort you'd have to put into this game to make it actually fun to play is a bit overwhelming. I'll never say never, and I'll try to play it quite a bit more, but for now the game isn't really too fun for me.

still trying to gather other opinions before i put money down on this one and i can safely say this won't bother me at least. ;I monster hunter and disgaea both have this 'issue'. takes a number of hours (?20?) before those games get really interesting and fun.

mostly i'm worried about the survival aspects... as i'd not really kept up with news about it on purpose (i never do tho) and what i had known before was it was more exploration than anything. so this "exploration behind surviving" aspect is worrisome. i'm waiting for people (NOT professional reviewers and NOT comments on pro review sites, ugh) who are ~20 hours in to come forward and give out details, i guess.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 02:02:20 pm »

No.  You CANNOT.  Sean Murray confirmed that it is a strictly singleplayer game.  2 players met up on 1 planet and could not see each other.  Changes made on the planet did not change on the other player's game.

that's a bit weird because of this

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270259080097792

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:57 pm »

that's a bit weird because of this

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/763270259080097792
Read the replies, read the articles, read the posts.  They literally did NOT meet each other.  They were literally on the exact same planet, at the same (real life) time, at the same place, streaming on twitch.  They couldn't see each other.  They did things to the planet that were not reflected in each other's game.

kashell

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 02:28:37 pm »
Is Sean the developer? He sounds like a moron. And a liar.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »
Is Sean the developer? He sounds like a moron. And a liar.
Director, Designer, Programmer, Founder of Hello Games.

soera

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »
The answers are so fucking vague. If the game is simply just a single player planet exploration option, consider me sold on not playing it ever.