Author Topic: What is the best deal you have ever gotten in the wild?  (Read 17977 times)

kashell

Re: What is the best deal you have ever gotten in the wild?
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 11:37:00 am »
So, is it a random comparison like you earlier stated or is it because both games are relatively expensive?

I was initially wondering why you were comparing them in the first place because the CDi games are (reportedly) terrible whereas Ogre Battle 64 is fantastic. I didn’t know you were comparing them based on their value. I didn't realize that the Zelda CDi titles were so pricy.

sworddude

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 11:44:47 am »
So, is it a random comparison like you earlier stated or is it because both games are relatively expensive?

I was initially wondering why you were comparing them in the first place because the CDi games are (reportedly) terrible whereas Ogre Battle 64 is fantastic. I didn’t know you were comparing them based on their value. I didn't realize that the Zelda CDi titles were so pricy.

Ofcourse it was based on value, since the games are pretty pricey and have some value like ogre battle. It is a topic about deals after all.

Some variants of the zelda and link ones are reaching steady prices of 70 - 80 + euro's

But zelda's adventure comes close to being as expensive as the us version of panzer dragoon saga.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:48:33 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 11:54:12 am »
Like I said, I didn't realize what you were talking about with the two games.

I did a quick check on the usual eBay/Amazon and cannot believe some of these prices. The games are supposed to be awful.

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:03 pm »
I suppose at this point, my best deal was my Super Nintendo. I had a friend who had recently moved back in with her mom (her parents were split & she'd been living with her dad). Mom was giving her crap over owning too many videogames, so she gave me her SNES collection to appease her. It included, amongst others: Mario RPG, Zelda, Donkey Kong 1-3, Starfox, and Evo. Nothing special at the time, all fairly valuable now. I did have a couple stolen, unfortunately. Luckily it was still before the prices really took off so replacements weren't expensive. Zelda switched from cart-only to a nice, minty CIB for only $20.

Aside from that: I bought my first Sega CD with a genesis from another friend leaving for college for $20. It died shortly after. I got a replacement from a local flea market for a total of $10. It was marked $40, but they took the price down when I told them not to give me controllers or hookups except for the genesis, since theirs was a model 2 and mine was a model 1. I sold them the broken one the broken one the next week (they mostly wanted the power supply for the gen model 1). The games I got from my friend included Lunar and Vay. Later on at that same flea market, I got 2 memory carts. One in box for $5 and one loose for $1. I also got a pristine copy of Sonic CD for $5.

I had a co-worker bring me a stack of Dreamcast games since system was long gone. The most notable was Lodoss War. I didn't own a Dreamcast at the time, so I picked one up with 2 controllers for $40 at the flea market (damn do I miss that place!), and a VMU for $6. Went over to Gamestop because they were closing out DC stuff, got another VMU for $10 and Evolution 2 for $5ish. When I got home and un-taped the case, a disc fell out- they'd put a disc-only Evolution 1 in the case on top of Evo 2. I was pretty happy about that, since I'd been iffy about buying the sequel first.

I also found good stuff during the $5 Classic Plastic sale (I wish Game Crazy was still around sometimes). Tail Concerto, Vagrant Story, Zelda DX for GBC... and Suikoden 2. I wouldn't let go of that one, I just held it out for the clerk to scan.

Most of my more recent hits have been accidents. Last summer, I found some boxed SNES games for a dollar each at a yard sale and bought them, just because when am I gonna find boxed SNES games at a yard sale again. Looked up prices on Ebay later... did not realize how much Wolfenstein 3d was worth on the SNES. That was a nice surprise.

stlgamer75

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2016, 09:58:40 am »
I got a top loader NES with bone controller for a box of candy bars I got for a couple dollars from the company store (I work for a food company).
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

Warmsignal

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2016, 08:30:46 pm »
Blood Will Tell - 1.95$

This game is insanely rare. I have seen a total of one in person, ever, and it is the copy I have in my collection. Paid $30 for it at the time. which from what I've seen is a steal now.

It is amazing that there are in fact, rare PS2 games. Why make a PS2 game if you aren't going to do a large print? The PS2 was only one of the most owned game consoles of all time. I must have looked through thousands of PS2 games back when they were first being cleared out everywhere, and I never ever saw Blood Will Tell, God Hand, or Rule of Rose. Thankfully, I bought RoR online before the price really jumped.

sworddude

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2016, 04:56:48 am »
Blood Will Tell - 1.95$

This game is insanely rare. I have seen a total of one in person, ever, and it is the copy I have in my collection. Paid $30 for it at the time. which from what I've seen is a steal now.

It is amazing that there are in fact, rare PS2 games. Why make a PS2 game if you aren't going to do a large print? The PS2 was only one of the most owned game consoles of all time. I must have looked through thousands of PS2 games back when they were first being cleared out everywhere, and I never ever saw Blood Will Tell, God Hand, or Rule of Rose. Thankfully, I bought RoR online before the price really jumped.

Dammit, I always thought it was a pretty crappy rpg by only looking at the cover, never looked it up never bothered with it since I didn't want it anyways.

So many chances I could have own this game for ****  :-\

it is a bit cheaper here in europe 40 dollars  but still a waste since it is a really good game.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:58:25 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:59 am »
Blood Will Tell - 1.95$

I never saw a copy of God Hand. The only times I saw Rule of Rose and/or Blood Will Tell was when I bought my copies.

Craziness.

Warmsignal

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 11:50:06 am »
Blood Will Tell - 1.95$

I never saw a copy of God Hand. The only times I saw Rule of Rose and/or Blood Will Tell was when I bought my copies.

Craziness.

It seems entirely plausible that one might still find these in a yard sale. I'm sure a ton of non-collectors still have a ps2 stored away somewhere with a random selection of games, unaware that anything so recent could be valuable. However, nothing is going to sneak by a retail store nowadays.

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 01:33:06 pm »
My favorite deal was when I got my TurboDuo. It was summer 1995. There was a store nearby called The Good Guys (anyone remember them?) that I used to go to for my electronics needs. I saw they had a TurboDuo so I asked the salesperson how much it was. He looked it up in their system and since it was their last one he said it was on clearance for $99.99. I was excited! When it was released in 1992 the MSRP if I remember correctly was $299.99. Since it was in the evening I couldn't go to the bank and withdraw money. The next day I went to the bank, withdrew money and went back to The Good Guys. When the salesperson rang it up, he said it was priced at $49.99. I was in disbelief. I then asked if he thought it would be discounted some more if I wait a few more days. He said he didn't know but he muttered to himself "If I had only known I would have got this for myself".

I still have that TurboDuo, it's still in brand new condition in the box with all nomenclature and plastic bags too.

Another deal I had was back in either Fall 1995 or Fall 1996.  I bought a brand new model 1 Sega CD for $39.99 from an outlet store called Music For A Song.  I'm guessing it was NOS because by that time the only Sega CD systems found in mainstream stores were the Model 2 versions.

I wouldn't call this a deal, more like I got it for a steal.  I shoplifted a Super Nintendo from Target back in 1992.  I'm not proud of what I did but back then as a dumb kid I didn't feel bad about it.  Karma caught up two years later when I got caught shoplifting and had to pay restitution.  Had to pawn that Super NES and other belongings in order to come up with the money for restitution.

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:24 pm »
I wouldn't call this a deal, more like I got it for a steal.  I shoplifted a Super Nintendo from Target back in 1992.  I'm not proud of what I did but back then as a dumb kid I didn't feel bad about it.  Karma caught up two years later when I got caught shoplifting and had to pay restitution.  Had to pawn that Super NES and other belongings in order to come up with the money for restitution.
Lol how did you get a SNES out of the store.

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2016, 02:52:12 pm »

Lol how did you get a SNES out of the store.

Back then the boxes were just out on the shelves.  This was before Target used glass cases and alarms by the front door.  I bought the cheaper Control Deck for $99.99.  I then went back in the aisle where the Super Nintendos were.  Just hung out watching other kids play on the display set up.  Then I took the Deluxe Set and put it in the same brown paper bag as the Control Deck.  Walked out, got on my bike and went home.  Came back the next day to get a refund on the Control Deck.  Another time I opened up one of the SNES boxes and took a controller out, then to avoid detection by undercover loss prevention I took an AsciiPad to the register and paid for it.  Then I did the button swap to make the SNES controller look like a Super Famicom controller.

topspot123

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2016, 07:52:34 pm »
I've gotten several great deals at well under expected value, but here are the first three I thought of.  A Nintendo VS dual arcade cabinet with VS Super Mario Bros and VS Mach Rider for just under $200.  Killer 7 for Gamecube new and sealed on clearance for $3.74.  And finally...

rayne315

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2016, 12:32:18 pm »
truly I don't get very many fantastic deals but the best one I ever made was at an estate sale for a "broken box tv" that had a "hole where the power, volume, and channel buttons used to be" along with searching through boxes and boxes to find some "old 8-track tapes" and an "old rotary projector controller". what I had gotten was a Vectrix, a second controller, and about 10 games for $5 total because the people that were running it had never seen one before and assumed it was nothing.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2016, 03:55:53 pm »
truly I don't get very many fantastic deals but the best one I ever made was at an estate sale for a "broken box tv" that had a "hole where the power, volume, and channel buttons used to be" along with searching through boxes and boxes to find some "old 8-track tapes" and an "old rotary projector controller". what I had gotten was a Vectrix, a second controller, and about 10 games for $5 total because the people that were running it had never seen one before and assumed it was nothing.
Caught them slipping