Author Topic: What is the best deal you have ever gotten in the wild?  (Read 17997 times)

Re: What is the best deal you have ever gotten in the wild?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2016, 10:43:16 pm »

Lol how did you get a SNES out of the store.

Back then the boxes were just out on the shelves.  This was before Target used glass cases and alarms by the front door.  I bought the cheaper Control Deck for $99.99.  I then went back in the aisle where the Super Nintendos were.  Just hung out watching other kids play on the display set up.  Then I took the Deluxe Set and put it in the same brown paper bag as the Control Deck.  Walked out, got on my bike and went home.  Came back the next day to get a refund on the Control Deck.  Another time I opened up one of the SNES boxes and took a controller out, then to avoid detection by undercover loss prevention I took an AsciiPad to the register and paid for it.  Then I did the button swap to make the SNES controller look like a Super Famicom controller.

that's definitely a "steal" then...

stlgamer75

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2016, 09:58:05 am »
My favorite deal was when I got my TurboDuo. It was summer 1995. There was a store nearby called The Good Guys (anyone remember them?) that I used to go to for my electronics needs. I saw they had a TurboDuo so I asked the salesperson how much it was. He looked it up in their system and since it was their last one he said it was on clearance for $99.99. I was excited! When it was released in 1992 the MSRP if I remember correctly was $299.99. Since it was in the evening I couldn't go to the bank and withdraw money. The next day I went to the bank, withdrew money and went back to The Good Guys. When the salesperson rang it up, he said it was priced at $49.99. I was in disbelief. I then asked if he thought it would be discounted some more if I wait a few more days. He said he didn't know but he muttered to himself "If I had only known I would have got this for myself".

I still have that TurboDuo, it's still in brand new condition in the box with all nomenclature and plastic bags too.

Another deal I had was back in either Fall 1995 or Fall 1996.  I bought a brand new model 1 Sega CD for $39.99 from an outlet store called Music For A Song.  I'm guessing it was NOS because by that time the only Sega CD systems found in mainstream stores were the Model 2 versions.

I wouldn't call this a deal, more like I got it for a steal.  I shoplifted a Super Nintendo from Target back in 1992.  I'm not proud of what I did but back then as a dumb kid I didn't feel bad about it.  Karma caught up two years later when I got caught shoplifting and had to pay restitution.  Had to pawn that Super NES and other belongings in order to come up with the money for restitution.

A brand new Turbo Duo for $50....while not the literal steal you got for the SNES back in the day, I would definitely say that was your best deal based on current worth and rarity.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

sworddude

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2016, 06:18:33 pm »
My favorite deal was when I got my TurboDuo. It was summer 1995. There was a store nearby called The Good Guys (anyone remember them?) that I used to go to for my electronics needs. I saw they had a TurboDuo so I asked the salesperson how much it was. He looked it up in their system and since it was their last one he said it was on clearance for $99.99. I was excited! When it was released in 1992 the MSRP if I remember correctly was $299.99. Since it was in the evening I couldn't go to the bank and withdraw money. The next day I went to the bank, withdrew money and went back to The Good Guys. When the salesperson rang it up, he said it was priced at $49.99. I was in disbelief. I then asked if he thought it would be discounted some more if I wait a few more days. He said he didn't know but he muttered to himself "If I had only known I would have got this for myself".

I still have that TurboDuo, it's still in brand new condition in the box with all nomenclature and plastic bags too.

Another deal I had was back in either Fall 1995 or Fall 1996.  I bought a brand new model 1 Sega CD for $39.99 from an outlet store called Music For A Song.  I'm guessing it was NOS because by that time the only Sega CD systems found in mainstream stores were the Model 2 versions.

I wouldn't call this a deal, more like I got it for a steal.  I shoplifted a Super Nintendo from Target back in 1992.  I'm not proud of what I did but back then as a dumb kid I didn't feel bad about it.  Karma caught up two years later when I got caught shoplifting and had to pay restitution.  Had to pawn that Super NES and other belongings in order to come up with the money for restitution.

A brand new Turbo Duo for $50....while not the literal steal you got for the SNES back in the day, I would definitely say that was your best deal based on current worth and rarity.

Have to disagree.

He stole it so it costed him nothing at al, % wise the steal is his best deal since the profit is unlimited while for the turbo duo 200 - 300% profit.

Didn't look up the prices for a duo but even if you stole a piece of candy wich is worth absolutely nothing it is the better deal since you made infinite % profit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:20:10 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

stlgamer75

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »

Have to disagree.

He stole it so it costed him nothing at al, % wise the steal is his best deal since the profit is unlimited while for the turbo duo 200 - 300% profit.

Didn't look up the prices for a duo but even if you stole a piece of candy wich is worth absolutely nothing it is the better deal since you made infinite % profit.

Yes, so by that logic the best deal is the stolen deal based on % profit. I'd take the Turbo Duo for $50 any day though so in my book it's the best deal.

sworddude

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2016, 04:51:35 am »

Have to disagree.

Yes, so by that logic the best deal is the stolen deal based on % profit. I'd take the Turbo Duo for $50 any day though so in my book it's the best deal.

If both items are brand new even though the turbo duo is more rare a snes console fetches far more pretty sad actually. And he did bought them brand new so the snes console for the win even money wise is the better deal.

New unopened boxed Snes consoles reach around 1000 $ and that's a standard one while the turbo duo reaches around 800 even when brand new if there are no games included.

stlgamer75

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2016, 09:28:13 am »

Have to disagree.

If both items are brand new even though the turbo duo is more rare a snes console fetches far more pretty sad actually. And he did bought them brand new so the snes console for the win even money wise is the better deal.

New unopened boxed Snes consoles reach around 1000 $ and that's a standard one while the turbo duo reaches around 800 even when brand new if there are no games included.

Yes, but I have a SNES but not a turbo duo so I'm still sticking with Turbo Duo for the win. Agree to disagree on this one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:29:48 am by stlgamer75 »

sworddude

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2016, 09:43:08 am »

Have to disagree.

Yes, but I have a SNES but not a turbo duo so I'm still sticking with Turbo Duo for the win. Agree to disagree on this one.

If you sold the brand new snes console you could buy a turbo duo brand new for the highest price and at least keep 200 in the bank account. Okay 130 -  150 after ebay charges and that's for the cheapest most basic one other versions fetch more.

I'll go for the brand new snes console.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:46:45 am by sworddude »

gomi321

PRO Supporter

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2016, 01:04:13 pm »
I picked up a Sega CDX for $20 at a thrift store. The owner thought it was just a CD player.

3DS: 3952-8105-2656 Nintendo Network/Steam/XBox/PSN: gomi321

mrnikon

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2016, 01:25:01 pm »
I think mine was my Goodwill find. Contra, TMNT 2 The Arcade Game, Rad Racer, Operation Wolf, Wrestlemaina for the NES, and Super Pinball Beyond the MAsk for the SNES. 12 bucks for all of them!

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 08:21:37 am »
I once got a box with a black gamecube, three controlers and 10 games including Mario Kart with Zelda bonus disc
10 euros for all, I was super happy that day :P
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

creag4

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 04:21:37 pm »
My best deal was probably my almost complete Vectrex CIB collection for $100.  I typically help clean out/move people into their new homes or get their home ready to be put on the market.  It was pretty ironic, but the weekend before at the one flea market I went too, one of the buddies I sell with picked up a loose Vectrex for $100 off a random vendor.  Before this, I have never seen or known of what it was before, and he told me a bit about it's rarity and collectability.  I have always been a big time SNES/Gamecube collector so it was fairly new ground for me.  Anyways, i'd like to say 2-3 days later, I was helping a gentleman remove the contents from his crowded basement, and saw a huge box with a CIB vectrex on the top (It's so hard to try and hide excitement when these kind of things happen).  I looked through the box to see what I thought was maybe 20 or so CIB Vectrex games.  I immediatley asked him if he was willing to sell it, and he responded with "It's my son's and I think he wants to keep it.". I responded with an offer of $100 for the lot of it, and after a bit of hesitation took the offer.  I didn't even know what I had until I came home afterwards.  The box was so damn heavy, I needed my brother to help me carry it inside.  In the end it ended up to be 2 Vectrex, one CIB and one broken (won't power on), a CIB 3-D Vectrex Imager (Which apparently is super-rare), and maybe 6-8 games short of a complete CIB collection.  Ever since then I've been a pretty decently big Vectrex enthusiast.  Not to mention The retro store I goto is actually owned by Sean Kelly, and I see him on a daily basis.  The world is a crazy place...
Currently playing: Evo: The Search for Eden (SNES) & Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1).

stlgamer75

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2016, 01:32:26 pm »
My best deal was probably my almost complete Vectrex CIB collection for $100.  I typically help clean out/move people into their new homes or get their home ready to be put on the market.  It was pretty ironic, but the weekend before at the one flea market I went too, one of the buddies I sell with picked up a loose Vectrex for $100 off a random vendor.  Before this, I have never seen or known of what it was before, and he told me a bit about it's rarity and collectability.  I have always been a big time SNES/Gamecube collector so it was fairly new ground for me.  Anyways, i'd like to say 2-3 days later, I was helping a gentleman remove the contents from his crowded basement, and saw a huge box with a CIB vectrex on the top (It's so hard to try and hide excitement when these kind of things happen).  I looked through the box to see what I thought was maybe 20 or so CIB Vectrex games.  I immediatley asked him if he was willing to sell it, and he responded with "It's my son's and I think he wants to keep it.". I responded with an offer of $100 for the lot of it, and after a bit of hesitation took the offer.  I didn't even know what I had until I came home afterwards.  The box was so damn heavy, I needed my brother to help me carry it inside.  In the end it ended up to be 2 Vectrex, one CIB and one broken (won't power on), a CIB 3-D Vectrex Imager (Which apparently is super-rare), and maybe 6-8 games short of a complete CIB collection.  Ever since then I've been a pretty decently big Vectrex enthusiast.  Not to mention The retro store I goto is actually owned by Sean Kelly, and I see him on a daily basis.  The world is a crazy place...

That's awesome, big Vectrex fan too (hence my current avatar) and getting that CIB 3D Imager was an amazing steal within an amazing steal. I'm sure you've done some research to know how much those are going for nowadays.

brazbit

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2016, 10:58:52 pm »
The core of my collection was mostly bought retail at or near release, they are only retro because I'm getting old. ;) Even my best deal kind of falls into this category, although the system involved had already halted production 2-3 years before the purchase was made, so technically it wasn't a current product. But it has turned out to be a highly collectable flop.

I bought my Jaguar a second controller and 5 games for $25, all still factory sealed. Clearance sales at Kay Bee Toys stores were awesome.

At the time my wife thought I had overspent, it was a Jaguar after all and this stock had probably been sitting on their shelves for 5-6 years at this point. But we were newly married, had a young nephew and no game systems at all (My parents still had the NES/Coleco/Atari/Etc... at this point) so she relented and let me get the Jag. I wish I had been able to talk her into the $15 JagCD bundle to go with it but she was already convinced this was a waste, she didn't grow up with any consoles other than a few months with a 2600 and a one time rental of an NES so the value of a game system was not apparent to her yet.

At the time it wasn't much of a deal as Jaguars were not uncommon on clearance shelves but the total for those items today likely makes it the best deal monetarily. Dusting this system off years later and giving it another go is what got me interested in retro gaming so on the sentimental side it wasn't a half bad deal either.

darkragnorok

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
In recent years I bought an original Xbox from a pawn shop I go to alot. Needless to say one day they had the original Xbox in there store with all the hookups, 2 controllers and I picked out a copy of Splinter Cell with it. Total cost was $8.

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:49 pm »
I have yet to find a better deal than this in the wild since my town is kinda booty for yard sales and such.  I scored a $15 working Gamecube with controller, cables and the portable TV attachment a few years back.