Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch (Formerly NX) - March 2017  (Read 18754 times)

rayne315

Re: The Nintendo Switch (Formerly NX) - March 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
Terrible name it's almost as bad as the wii u

Not really.  While it might not be the best, it's actually a pretty good name to represent the system far better than the shitty Wii labeling.  It's the Switch, switch from portable to TV whenever you want.  Works out to me.  It's at least not a nonsense word.

also because of the naming it can no longer be though of as a wii add on so its already off to a better start than the wii U.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:43 am »
I think I was most excited about the cartridge slot that they showed  ::)

They definitely were aiming this at the cool kids and not a younger audience. I imagine lots of kids losing half the system by misplacing those side controllers.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:12:20 am »
I'm in.  Where do I preorder?

I will bring my tithe to the Temple of Mario to receive the blessings of what was once the NX, but from this day forth will forever be known as the Switch.

Yeah, I like it.  Third Party Support is key though.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:51 am »
I'm in.  Where do I preorder?

I will bring my tithe to the Temple of Mario to receive the blessings of what was once the NX, but from this day forth will forever be known as the Switch.

Yeah, I like it.  Third Party Support is key though.

This is making the rounds right now.  Doesn't confirm games, but gives a basic idea of the system support as it is right now.

kashell

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:56 am »
Interesting. Now I'm slightly more interested seeing companies like Atlus, Inti, KT, etc. With the right game announcement, I'll be pre-ordering ASAP.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:22 am »
To seemingly bolster their launch lineup, it looks like they are releasing enhanced versions of both Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.  No confirmations exactly, but both games looked the same as before, but now have all new content and features.  I'd be cool with rebuying Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon if they have enough new stuff at reasonable prices.

Odd things I noticed about this system though...No emphasis on touch or motion capabilities at any point.  Perhaps cost saving measures?  I'm curious what this means for backwards compatibility.  Enhanced versions are one thing, but there are games that require those things if you want to bring in at least digital versions of Wii U games or 3DS games to boost that library of content for the Switch, which will be one of its greatest features.

Just said on twitter from Bethesda...

"Thrilled to be a publishing partner for #NintendoSwitch! The platform presents exciting opportunities for our studios & fans."

Skyrim was confirmed, but I wonder if this means we'll also see stuff like Doom, Fallout 4, and future games show up on the Switch.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:56:03 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 12:01:10 pm »
What I'm curious about is whether or not Nintendo will allow mods on Skyrim.

Also, it has been reported that the Switch is region-free.

Also, as if it needed to be stated, I'm getting it day one.  This is exactly what I expected the NX to be.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:03:22 pm by ignition365 »

rayne315

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »
my major concerns are if they updated their online services to allow easier access to friends and online games, if there is going to be enough system memory for all the download games that will be coming out (if you primarily download them), and if the cartridges are going to have enough space for current and future AAA games.

I also believe they should have increased the size of the cartridges just so they are easier to keep (its hard keeping track of little ds games already.

overall I am very impressed with how it looks and will likely buy it day 1 (depending on system specs)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
Yeah it would be nice to know more proper details, but this was just a preview event, hopefully we get an announcement for a Direct soon.  I'll be grabbing this Day 1 as it's very much what I wanted.

kashell

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 12:30:08 pm »
Region free? Damn, I've moved from not feeling it to hopeful to excited in a matter of hours.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »
I am slightly interested, but need way more info. I really want nintendo to do well.

mostly price, and more details on the system, controllers, etc
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:55 pm »
Ehh...I'm not feeling it.

Thank goodness. I'm there with ya. Until your post I though maybe I've become a hater. :)

I'll get one of course. But for how secretive they've been the trailer is pretty underwhelming and only really shows us stuff we already knew.

This is basically Nintendo's take on the PS Vita/TV 2.0.

It didn't work out for Sony but maybe Nintendo can make a better go at it.

I like the Vita a lot especially cross-play titles that support cross-device save.

Region free is cool, but without a disc slot it doesn't help for Wii/WiiU titles which is where I'd like to put it to use first.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:56:47 pm by dashv »

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:31 pm »
Tons of concerns and curiosities obviously, but personally with how well this looks, I'm hoping they have all the right answers for online, storage, and the other minor things.

I've heard some rumors about Nintendo working very hard on their online services, I watch the job market for these types of things and Nintendo has been on quite a hiring spree lately for these types of positions.

Storage I'm very very curious about.  For home console gaming, I see no issue with using external hard drives, that is what I do in most cases (curse you PS4), but being able to have that digital content/patches/install files on the portable device, it is definitely a concern.  Nintendo does have a history of making their games play straight out of the box, so hopefully that will continue.  Flash media is going places, you can get 200GB flash cards for about $60, games don't usually take more than 40GB.  You can get a 64GB flash card for about $20, and that's consumer prices.  I don't believe it costs more than a few dollars for these companies to produce these cards, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for Nintendo to design a flash memory based board capable of storing upwards of 128GB while still maintaining an effective cost to price ratio.  With the 3DS for instance, I don't think it was ever a size limitation issue so much as what the system itself could handle.  And looking back at older cartridge systems, they were much more expensive to produce compared to today

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 12:54:25 pm »
Ehh...I'm not feeling it.

Thank goodness. I'm there with ya. Until your post I though maybe I've become a hater. :)

I'll get one of course. But for how secretive they've been the trailer is pretty underwhelming and only really shows us stuff we already knew.

This is basically Nintendo's take on the PS Vita/TV 2.0.

It didn't work out for Sony but maybe Nintendo can make a better go at it.

I like the Vita a lot especially cross-play titles that support cross-device save.
The Vita/PSTV had 2 major flaws that killed it.  Expensive proprietary media, and censorship.  Censorship may not be the right word, but Sony blacklisted so many games and apps from the PSTV for no good reason.  You could bypass it, but potentially get banned from PSN.

If these two things were remedied today, I'd actually use my PSTV.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:27 pm »
The Switch seems like what the Vita and Wii U should've been, so basically take two systems that didn't do great, grab the best features, and then put them into one better unit.