Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 246908 times)

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2012, 04:53:29 pm »
I can help ya with a decent playable rpg list

Nes : Final fantasy, Dragon warrior 1-4, Destiny of an Emporer, Ultima: Quest of the Avatar, Gargoyle's Quest.
SNES : Final Fantasy 2/3, Chrono Trigger, Tecmo: Secret of the Stars, Breath of Fire 1/2, Super Mario RPG (the game Im currently playing atm).
SMS : Ys, Miracle Warriors, Phantasy Star, Ultima IV.
Genesis : Phantasy Star 2-4, Sword of Vermillion.
PS1 : Tales of Destiny 1/2, Dragon Warrior VII, Alundra 1/2, Suikoden 1/2, Breath of Fire 3/4, Final Fantasy (Origins, Anthology, Chronicles, 7), Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar 1/2, Arc the Lad.
PS2 : Dragon Quest VIII.
Sega CD : Vay, Lunar 1/2.
Saturn : Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey.

This is a start. My definite favorite genre is RPG and I enjoyed almost everything listed on here.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm working on one console at a time right now but I'm really looking forward to discovering SNES RPGs as I never had a chance to play any when I had one.

« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2012, 05:44:45 pm »
Welcome shoryuken4u, pyro5050, and thedisappearer!  ;D

« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »

Thanks fellow newbie!  :)

scott

« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »
The Elder Scrolls games are totally RPGs. They are built like the old RuneQuest p&p skill building system. Where how you play develops your character.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:58 pm »
I can help ya with a decent playable rpg list

Nes : Final fantasy, Dragon warrior 1-4, Destiny of an Emporer, Ultima: Quest of the Avatar, Gargoyle's Quest.
SNES : Final Fantasy 2/3, Chrono Trigger, Tecmo: Secret of the Stars, Breath of Fire 1/2, Super Mario RPG (the game Im currently playing atm).
SMS : Ys, Miracle Warriors, Phantasy Star, Ultima IV.
Genesis : Phantasy Star 2-4, Sword of Vermillion.
PS1 : Tales of Destiny 1/2, Dragon Warrior VII, Alundra 1/2, Suikoden 1/2, Breath of Fire 3/4, Final Fantasy (Origins, Anthology, Chronicles, 7), Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Lunar 1/2, Arc the Lad.
PS2 : Dragon Quest VIII.
Sega CD : Vay, Lunar 1/2.
Saturn : Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey.

This is a start. My definite favorite genre is RPG and I enjoyed almost everything listed on here.

And that's just console-only... the GBA and DS have an amazing collection of RPGs as well.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »
Also, remember there distinct differences between NA and JP RPG genres.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2012, 07:28:27 pm »
The Elder Scrolls games are totally RPGs. They are built like the old RuneQuest p&p skill building system. Where how you play develops your character.

I guess I've been narrowly defining the RPG genre based on the fundamentals of JRPGs. My first foray into the genre was a JRPG so I tend to measure all RPGs against that. The lack of turn-based battle confuses me! :o So is JRPG a subgenre of RPG or is it a totally separate genre in and of itself?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:18 am »

I guess I've been narrowly defining the RPG genre based on the fundamentals of JRPGs. My first foray into the genre was a JRPG so I tend to measure all RPGs against that. The lack of turn-based battle confuses me! :o So is JRPG a subgenre of RPG or is it a totally separate genre in and of itself?

*Opens up the can of worms*
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #293 on: October 14, 2012, 10:39:37 am »

Watch yourself around *this* fellow-NooB...He's an 'under-cover' Admin...
 8)

soera

« Reply #294 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:07 am »
Yes the jrpg is definitely a subset of rpgs. If you noticed my list, I didnt list any of the hack and slash rpg (diablo, baldur's gate, champions of norrath, etc) nor did I mention any of the tactical rpgs (ff tactics, ogre battle, ultima exodus, etc) plus the beginner jrpgs (final fantasy mystic quest, ghost lion, etc) and there is another kind of rpg that is sort of adventure rpg (Ys, Valkyrie profile, Elder scrolls). There is another type that I basically call pen&paper rpg (Swords and serpents, the AD&D games, etc). They are all differently played types. I love the hack and slack type cause most of them are multi player and thats what me and my buddy do when we get together. I do not like the tactical rpgs as they are so slow and boring for me. Beginner jrpgs are really short and linear. The battles are all predictable and they help you through the game. They dont hold much replay value imo. Adventure rpgs have their moments. While I consider Ys one of my favorite lines of games of all time, I really did not enjoy Valkyrie profile. Same thing with the pen&paper. I actually am one of the few people that probably really enjoyed Swords and Serpents. Hated the AD&D games though. Its just a personal preference. I will 95% of the time however prefer the jrpg to any other of the subsets. Its what I have played for so long and what I revert back to everytime. If you are a rpg fan in general I do suggest that you give all the subsets a try. It could help you decide which you want to focus on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:03:44 am by soera »

« Reply #295 on: October 14, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »

8)
Not undercover anymore ;)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:25 am »

8)

Ha Ha!

You 'came-out'
:P

« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »

8)

Asuka best girl, amirite?

« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »
Hey, I'm Brandon.  I'll play just about anything once.  My favorites are RPG, Action-adventure, platforming stuff.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
Hey, I'm Brandon.  I'll play just about anything once.  My favorites are RPG, Action-adventure, platforming stuff.

Hey Brandon, welcome to the site :)