Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 251833 times)

scott

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:10 pm »
Welcome to the site! Man I wish I could have a pinball machine... but I have no room for one and I only really, really want a Fireball machine. It's such a cool game!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »
Fireball is a blast to play  and its backlass is just wonderfull!

jcalder8

« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:38 pm »
Thank you guys for your warm welcome.

I have a Bally Eight Ball 1977, Gottlieb Spring Break 1987 and Williams Flintstones 1994. My parents in law have an electo mecanical machine  Gottlieb Sufer 1976 which is also in my gameroom :)
That's a great selection! I would love to get another one but the pickings are very slim in AB.

« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2013, 09:04:12 pm »
Thank you guys for your warm welcome.

I have a Bally Eight Ball 1977, Gottlieb Spring Break 1987 and Williams Flintstones 1994. My parents in law have an electo mecanical machine  Gottlieb Sufer 1976 which is also in my gameroom :)
That's a great selection! I would love to get another one but the pickings are very slim in AB.

So would i but i do not have enought room and i could not get rid of any of them :)

« Reply #439 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »
Hey guys. Robert from Sweden here. I stumbled upon this site by someone linking to their collection on a forum and thought it looked interesting. I've been keeping an excel sheet of my collection for some time now, but this site seems really cool and the potential for a collection list with tons of interesting data is huge. So I'll be migrating my collection list to this site soon.

I've been playing games since I was old enough to hold a controller, and have been collecting games for a while now mostly for Nintendo platforms, although I don't have a ton of games yet. I basically only collect games that I find interesting. I don't collect to have, for example, a complete PAL NES collection. I only aim to have the great games on my shelves. :D So games like Stadium Events or other ultra rare-but-boring games aren't really of interest to me. I also usually only buy one game at a time instead of lots. I've been focusing on the NES/FC for some time now, but recently started getting more serious about Game Boy games as well. But anything Nintendo is interesting to me.

I'm a little confused about one thing here though. I've been adding some items, mostly PAL NES games, to the database (hopefully correctly...) and I see that for some games there are multiple entries. For example, Excitebike on the NES has one entry for the 3 screw version and one for the 5 screw version. I think it's fine to have different entries for different regions and remakes and such, but these multiple entries for the same region is a bit confusing I think. Wouldn't it be better to just have a general release page and then if the user wants he could add a note saying if it's the 5 screw version or not? Or maybe somehow combine the two pages into one and let the user specify which release he has there by checkboxing it. I have no idea how the database works and if that's even possible though. So what are the thoughts around this?

Either way I think I'll find myself right at home here and look forward to see the site evolve and get better. :)

Regards,
Robert

jcalder8

« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:25 pm »
Hey guys. Robert from Sweden here. I stumbled upon this site by someone linking to their collection on a forum and thought it looked interesting. I've been keeping an excel sheet of my collection for some time now, but this site seems really cool and the potential for a collection list with tons of interesting data is huge. So I'll be migrating my collection list to this site soon.

I've been playing games since I was old enough to hold a controller, and have been collecting games for a while now mostly for Nintendo platforms, although I don't have a ton of games yet. I basically only collect games that I find interesting. I don't collect to have, for example, a complete PAL NES collection. I only aim to have the great games on my shelves. :D So games like Stadium Events or other ultra rare-but-boring games aren't really of interest to me. I also usually only buy one game at a time instead of lots. I've been focusing on the NES/FC for some time now, but recently started getting more serious about Game Boy games as well. But anything Nintendo is interesting to me.

I'm a little confused about one thing here though. I've been adding some items, mostly PAL NES games, to the database (hopefully correctly...) and I see that for some games there are multiple entries. For example, Excitebike on the NES has one entry for the 3 screw version and one for the 5 screw version. I think it's fine to have different entries for different regions and remakes and such, but these multiple entries for the same region is a bit confusing I think. Wouldn't it be better to just have a general release page and then if the user wants he could add a note saying if it's the 5 screw version or not? Or maybe somehow combine the two pages into one and let the user specify which release he has there by checkboxing it. I have no idea how the database works and if that's even possible though. So what are the thoughts around this?

Either way I think I'll find myself right at home here and look forward to see the site evolve and get better. :)

Regards,
Robert
Firstly welcome to the site Robert!

Thanks for your hard work already with the EU releases.

In terms of the 3 vs 5 screws or any of the minor differences, I personally don't find it a big deal which version I have but some people are very passionate about have the 3 or 5 and tracking which ones they still need of each. There has been talk about linking similar entries but I don't know how far that has gotten.

Welcome again!
Jon

« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:25 pm »
Thanks!
Hmm yes I didn't think of the fact that people might own both the 5 screw version and the 3 screw one. That's true. That does warrant multiple release pages.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #442 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
WELCOME TO THE SITE -

Robert from Sweden :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:18 am »
Hi! I'm Sean or LiberNullMal, found this website looking for a way to keep up with my collection and what I'm looking for. I live in Houston, Texas and lived here for most of my life though 3 years in New York due to servicing the country by joining the Army. I've loved Video Games since I can remember and started out with Atari as my first console System. I've started collecting console systems and Video Games around 14 when I found out my dad had pawned my systems and games because I chose my mom over him in the divorce. I've collected some of the things I've lost but some things are rare or expensive to actually get a hold of..  I'm currently a IT Manager for a Valve Company though I'm also a Jack of all trades and tend to take up the slack a lot of times. Some of the things I've done is created websites, created Databases built computers, repair computers. My favorite thing and something i would like to do is Game Design or Game Programming though my only problem is that I've never been able to pick up the programming language like I would like to have. I would also like to thank Matt for making this great website and hope to talk to many of you later on.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
Hi! I'm Sean or LiberNullMal, found this website looking for a way to keep up with my collection and what I'm looking for. I live in Houston, Texas and lived here for most of my life though 3 years in New York due to servicing the country by joining the Army. I've loved Video Games since I can remember and started out with Atari as my first console System. I've started collecting console systems and Video Games around 14 when I found out my dad had pawned my systems and games because I chose my mom over him in the divorce. I've collected some of the things I've lost but some things are rare or expensive to actually get a hold of..  I'm currently a IT Manager for a Valve Company though I'm also a Jack of all trades and tend to take up the slack a lot of times. Some of the things I've done is created websites, created Databases built computers, repair computers. My favorite thing and something i would like to do is Game Design or Game Programming though my only problem is that I've never been able to pick up the programming language like I would like to have. I would also like to thank Matt for making this great website and hope to talk to many of you later on.

Hey Sean!

Welcome to the site & looking forward to talking/hearing more from you, too :)

matt

« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:21 am »

Welcome and thanks for the kind words!

« Reply #446 on: January 10, 2013, 10:26:28 am »
I feel pretty welcome and apart of the VG Cult... I won't drink from the punch bowl full of poison though.. I've learned my lesson about that trick.
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2013, 11:04:23 am »
I feel pretty welcome and apart of the VG Cult... I won't drink from the punch bowl full of poison though.. I've learned my lesson about that trick.

YES!

Don't drink the Kool Aid!!!

jcalder8

« Reply #448 on: January 10, 2013, 11:50:58 am »
Welcome to the site Sean!

nanner666

« Reply #449 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:13 pm »
well figured i may as well introduce myself.

My name is Brannon and i live in the mid west. mainly right around the ST.LOUIS area.

Im 29 years old and I have been playing video games all my life. Even when getting a cd- rom drive installed in your computer was a big deal. (xmas gift one year) I can still remember sitting with my father trying to decide what to delete off the hard drive JUST to make room for the game DOOM.
 Recently i quit playing competitive paintball and decided to collect retro games. Seems when i pick a hobby i get really into it. That being said. i started REALLY collecting retro games only about 4 or 5  months ago. Already have over 240 sega genesis games most in box. Only around 45 NES games and just a few games from other consoles.

I mainly ONLY collect sega GENESIS games. Keeps me from spending WAY too much money by collecting other consoles and games.
Plus its just my console of choice.

Im really glad i found this forum, seems very well laid out. plus the people and info on this site seem very helpful.

so i guess thats it.

any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Brannon