Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 246859 times)

soera

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #825 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:43 pm »
Once I am done with Ni No Kuni I might actually take a stab at my first SNES RPG.

First off, hi ... I am the SOERA that has been mentioned all over. No need to fear me and actually hero worship is not only permitted but accepted as norm in here.

Second, I hate to say it but if you are going to follow Ni no Kuni with anything, you will be disappointed. Everyone knows how I feel about the game so no need to say anymore on that. :)

If you are going to play some SNES RPGs, I would suggest FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Breath of fire and SMB RPG (and on a smaller level, Tecmo secret of the stars). FF Mystic quest is too basic, FF IV is good but doesnt quite reach VI levels, Earthbound was not appealing to me gameplay wise at all. Breath of fire II is good but the original is the best. Ys III is a horrible example of the series. The Ultima games dont hold a candle to Ultima IV. Ogre battle is a tactical RPG and not my style. I also could not get into the action RPG style of the Lufia/Mana/Gaia games. Not much else to mention.

soera

« Reply #826 on: June 23, 2014, 11:24:47 pm »
I also noticed you mention the PS2. Definitely one of the greatest systems ever. With the ability to play PS1 and PS2 RPGs all on one system, you can fill your time with nothing else and be occupied for months on end. Just dont over look the hack and slash games like Baldur's gate and Champions of Norrath series. Awesome awesome games to play co-op and it already sounds like you have a partner to do that with!

90snostalga

« Reply #827 on: June 24, 2014, 12:20:50 am »
Soera is being very moddest  ;)  It's clear he forgot to mention his wonderful love for the Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast.  He has always been highly supportive of those two systems especially for multi-player 8)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #828 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:39 am »
Definitely agree with soera on most of his recommendations, although I actually enjoy tactical RPGs.  Time-suck though they are.

Also, Secret Of Mana is at least easier compared to Secret Of Evermore.  Multi-player or not, you'll eventually have 2 assisting characters that can do more than just attack enemies, although you won't have a treasure sniffer like your dog companion.

Anyway, welcome to VGCollect!

Please check out the games I have for sale.

bobster

« Reply #829 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:30 am »
Once I am done with Ni No Kuni I might actually take a stab at my first SNES RPG.

First off, hi ... I am the SOERA that has been mentioned all over. No need to fear me and actually hero worship is not only permitted but accepted as norm in here.

Second, I hate to say it but if you are going to follow Ni no Kuni with anything, you will be disappointed. Everyone knows how I feel about the game so no need to say anymore on that. :)

If you are going to play some SNES RPGs, I would suggest FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Breath of fire and SMB RPG (and on a smaller level, Tecmo secret of the stars). FF Mystic quest is too basic, FF IV is good but doesnt quite reach VI levels, Earthbound was not appealing to me gameplay wise at all. Breath of fire II is good but the original is the best. Ys III is a horrible example of the series. The Ultima games dont hold a candle to Ultima IV. Ogre battle is a tactical RPG and not my style. I also could not get into the action RPG style of the Lufia/Mana/Gaia games. Not much else to mention.
We don't currently own Breath of Fire sadly. Those games are amazing. Maybe I'll bump those up on priority so she can play them :D

I did enjoy what little I played of the Lufia games though. That was back in my emulating days in high school. I played through Gaia, again, not too long ago, I don't think it interested her.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

soera

« Reply #830 on: June 24, 2014, 11:00:40 am »
Breath of Fire 1&2 are also available on the GBA which should be cheaper and more available. 3&4 is on the PS1.

argyle

« Reply #831 on: June 24, 2014, 11:24:43 am »
Don't forget Secret of Mana! the great thing about that is that you guys could play it together too. The only SNES RPG I know of that has a multiplayer option.
That's a good suggestion! I recently played through that game a couple months ago, and it was a lot more brutal than I remembered. But playing multiplayer might make it easier!

I didn't even realize that it was multiplayer, don't think Bobster told me about that. That will be on the list as well to play soon.
So many RPGs not enough time.

The curse of every RPG fan...

Breath of Fire 1&2 are also available on the GBA which should be cheaper and more available. 3&4 is on the PS1.

3&4 are also available as PSN downloads - well, I *know* 4 is, I'm pretty sure 3 is as well.  I've never played the first two, but 3&4 are both awesome games.

And of course, I could rattle off killer PS2 RPGs all day...Dragon Quest VIII, Suikoden V, SMT Nocturne, Persona 3/4, Dark Cloud 2, FFX/X-2, Wild Arms 3, Shadow Hearts series....man, that was such a great system.   ;D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #832 on: June 24, 2014, 07:32:50 pm »

Hi Soera!
I am thinking I might just play FFV so then I can play FFVI since I am trying to play them in order so I can get to FFX HD (I <3 that game and haven't played HD version yet)
I guess I really just have to take a look at what Bob and I have as well to figure out what to play. He is my biggest influence and he loved Earthbound which is why it was on my list.

maximo310

« Reply #833 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:47 pm »
FFV is pretty-time consuming depending how long you want to develop your jobs, but I'd recommend a playthrough of the game. Not the best story(depending what version you play, the story can be really boring and flat), but the gameplay and music makes up for that.

« Reply #834 on: July 02, 2014, 10:43:32 am »
Hello guys,

New dude here, i just found out about this page like a couple of weeks ago and fall in love right away. I used to manage my collections first in IGN and then with the "Shelves" application in my ipod that for some reason crashed and loose all the data ¬¬. So this is a new attempt to manage my collections.

Please be aware that it is my intention to add more items to the overall list. Like downloadable versions of some retail/classic games. If that is ok with you. Please let me know. Also i would like to ask if it's ok to add to the list some DLC?

Cheers

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #835 on: July 02, 2014, 11:25:53 am »
Hello guys,

New dude here, i just found out about this page like a couple of weeks ago and fall in love right away. I used to manage my collections first in IGN and then with the "Shelves" application in my ipod that for some reason crashed and loose all the data ¬¬. So this is a new attempt to manage my collections.

Please be aware that it is my intention to add more items to the overall list. Like downloadable versions of some retail/classic games. If that is ok with you. Please let me know. Also i would like to ask if it's ok to add to the list some DLC?

Cheers

Welcome to VGC New DooD!

While it is okay to add things here (we are always happy to have NEW items added), be careful about (and familiar with) using our (un)stylish "Style Guide" (in link below) AND be certain that you're not adding duplicates of items that are already in the database :)

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #836 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:07 am »
Hello guys,

Cheers

Welcome!  I think disgaeniac christened you with a new name.  You're New DooD now.   ;)

We all appreciate you folks adding new stuff to the database.

Again, welcome.  It's great to have new folks.

gomi321

PRO Supporter

« Reply #837 on: July 04, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »
Hello all. I'm Gomi and I've been collecting everything and anything for some time now. I really have no idea what to put here except thanks to everyone that works on this site. You've saved me from buying quite a number of duplicates.

3DS: 3952-8105-2656 Nintendo Network/Steam/XBox/PSN: gomi321

argyle

« Reply #838 on: July 05, 2014, 12:16:20 am »
Hello all newcomers.  :) 

Feel free to add to your heart's content, just make sure you post good hi-res images with no white space around them, or my eye will start to twitch and...bad things will happen.   ;) :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

thekosmickollector

« Reply #839 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
I've been here a couple days and I've posted before but I haven't properly introduced myself so, without further ado;
Hello, I'm TheKosmicKollector! I recently started collecting once I finally got some space and I found a bunch of old PS2 games from when I was younger. Since I'm probably one of the youngest here and I've only recently started collecting, my collection's one of the smaller ones. But regardless, I love gaming and my collection and I like to collect a bit of everything (Whatever I can find on my pretty tight budget really). I've got a long way to go until I have a really awesome collection like a lot of you guys do, and there are a whole bunch of systems I really want to get but just haven't found yet for cheap (i.e NES, SNES, Saturn etc) :)