Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 246834 times)

matt

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:33:56 am »
@amauriel

Welcome to the site! We really appreciate the additions especially because no one has really started to tackle most of the Japanese games. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Thanks for the kind words!

scott

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »
Gratz on the site, guys! I've tried out other collection sites before but this is probably the easiest one I've seen.  And the Android App makes me very happy as well!

Thanks! Hopefully we can put more love into the Android app soon. There just so much going on the to-do list for the site itself, that it's currently getting a little overlooked. I have a feeling, the next couple weeks are going to be pretty hectic.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 01:32:28 pm »
I might as well introduce myself since I've started poking around the site.

I'm Nancy and am pretty excited about this site.  For a while I've been griping to friends that there's no good collection site that's a) free, b) not terrible to look at, and c) not opposed to input on really getting at filling a void.  So far, I'm really digging everything and can see the potential for even more great stuff.

Anyway, to finish off the intro:

I'm not quite so old skool as to personally own anything before my Playstation 2 (though my brothers and I did grow up with the Atari, NES, and 80s PC games), but I do love my video games.  I'm making a list of to-add titles, many of which so far are on portable consoles.  RPGish stuff.  The list is twenty deep already, and it's only a portion of my DS games.

Also, I work in a library and am big on details, so I'm all about stuff like proper cataloging and style guides.  Consistency is so important with things like this.

Hope I'll be of some help!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:07 pm »
Welcome aboard!

matt

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 02:56:14 pm »
Welcome aboard! I created the site to solve all of those problems. Seems like it's working out pretty well so far. ;)

We are always working towards consistency so I appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have.

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »
Hi all, just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello too. Had been on the lookout for an alternative to my current MS Excel and Word based inventory for a while now and then out of the blue I noticed the collection image in someone's signature on some other forum which lead me here, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised to see how well everything is already coming along such as the badge system and android app... brilliant :-)

I myself am Belgian which prolly makes me the second European guy on the forum or so... That and the fact that I too have quite a few Japanese games will leave me with a load of work it seems before I have my entire collection on here.

I have around 700 games I think, ranging from the really old stuff like Atari and Videopac through to NES, SMS, SNES, Megadrive, Mega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS1 and PS2, and the handhelds like Gameboy classic, advance, DS, and Game Gear, and of course PC. It's clear to me that I have a lot of work to do seeing as there aren't that many PAL games in the system yet, but I hope to be able to start adding all of my stuff systematically over the next days/weeks.

I've already added a couple of items to get the hang of it and everything does indeed feel very user friendly. Great job so far!!!

scott

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 12:45:21 pm »
Welcome from the other side of the world! If you see anything that isn't correct regarding European/PAL games, don't be afraid to speak up. Its no secret that there is a real lack of PAL support currently, that should change soon though.

madmax

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »
I'm Max.

I collect Final Fantasy Games (Everything Final Fantasy) along with the systems to play them. I wanted to start collecting at a younger age but didn't have the funds. A month of so ago I saw a friend of mines collection (mega man), got nostalgic and started my collection.

Being administrator for a website where it needs people to grow and submit information, I just had to join this website and try to give it a hand in away way I can.

To fun times!

matt

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:27 pm »
Welcome madmax!

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 12:33:59 am »
I'm Andrew, but feel free to just call me @andrew around here!

I graduated a few months ago with some BS degree in math & physics. Around that time is when I stated to consider myself a collector, even though I have been playing (and apparently collecting) games my whole life. I love the SNES (probably for nostalgic reasons), and I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. I will be going to graduate school, but I decided to take one year off so I can catch up on my video game playing! Either that, or to teach in China, but I'm still trying to get everything straightened out. You'll probably be seeing more of me around here.

Cheers!

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »
Hello all. I'm Anthony.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer in training. I was just about to try programing something to catalog my collection when I found this place through /r/gamecollecting.

I collect just about anything from the NES on (I'm not really into the old atari and computer stuff). I worked at a video game store for about three years and I'm currently working at another video game store that was just opened by my friend, who was the manager at the other store. I'm also just now getting really interested in collecting arcade games and I have a MAME cabinet project in the works.

I love what I've seen of the site so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow.

matt

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:32 pm »
Hello all. I'm Anthony.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer in training. I was just about to try programing something to catalog my collection when I found this place through /r/gamecollecting.

I collect just about anything from the NES on (I'm not really into the old atari and computer stuff). I worked at a video game store for about three years and I'm currently working at another video game store that was just opened by my friend, who was the manager at the other store. I'm also just now getting really interested in collecting arcade games and I have a MAME cabinet project in the works.

I love what I've seen of the site so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing it grow.

Welcome Anthony. Looks like we have a lot in common. i'm a web dev, collect NES, worked in a video game store and have build my own MAME cab. :) You'll fit right in around here.

scott

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:46 pm »
Hello all. I'm Anthony.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer in training. I was just about to try programing something to catalog my collection when I found this place through /r/gamecollecting....

...I'm also just now getting really interested in collecting arcade games and I have a MAME cabinet project in the works.

Welcome! I'm also into graphics, mostly self taught, though I did go to college for it for a bit. Things came up, long story, blah blah. I've also built my own MAME cab from scratch. It's a great project, I'm sure you'll have fun working on it.

darko

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
Guess it's about time I posted in here. My name is David. I'm a commodities trader by profession and I collect for anything NES and up. The NES was my first console when I was young and my collecting began several years ago when I was on a nostalgia kick. I've always played games but didn't become a serious collector until about 3 years ago. I really enjoy modding/hacking any little electronic device I can, systems included. Most of the systems I have have been modified in some way. I probably should have chosen a degree in computer science or engineering while I was in school but my job pays the bills and I enjoy going to work so I can't really complain.

I have had the desire to build a MAME cab for several years. Guess I need to get on that soon so I can be one of the cool kids!

amauriel

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:55 pm »
@darko: I've two empty cabinets sitting here ready to be redone (one for MAME, the other was originally Street Fighter II so is slated to be restored) so that I can be one of the cool kids too!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."