Author Topic: Intro thread  (Read 251146 times)

komidore64

Re: Intro thread
« Reply #1110 on: May 05, 2015, 11:48:32 am »
Hello folks, I'm Adam!

I've been a gamer since I was little guy, saving up money to get my next game or console. I've grown up playing consoles like the N64, Playstation, Dreamcast, and Xbox to name a few. Within the last year, I've started getting very interested in checking out games before my time and also what games I've missed on consoles I have. I wouldn't really consider myself a "collector" because I only want games that I would find interesting. I'm not after completing any system's library. Not yet anyways ;) . At the end of high school I got into PC gaming also, so I've since spent far too much money on a graphics card. I feel like my collection is fairly small, but after watching lots of Game Sack and Classic Game Room my wishlist has been growing at an alarming rate!

My favorite series/franchises:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Phantasy Star Online
- Oddworld

Outside of video games, I collect mechanical keyboards and key caps along with Gundam anime. I have an ErgoDox that I built myself and customized which I'm very proud of. I also recently acquired a fairly rare IBM Model M SSK (Space Saver Keyboard) manufactured 27 November 1989 that I was excited to find. It's in good condition aside from a couple sticky keys that I need to fix. As for Gundam, I think (?) I have all the Gundam DVD/Bluray collections that released in the U.S. aside from small one-release episodes. I'm starting to look into importing other Gundam series that never made it over the pond, but that's going to be expensive :)

VGCollect is a great site! I know my collection isn't huge, but it is really nice to have it all cataloged with notes. I just started running into instances where I think, "Wait, do I own this game?" I started looking for cataloging software, and VGCollect looked like nicest one. I'm looking forward to having VGCollect along for the ride on growing my collection!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1111 on: May 08, 2015, 10:40:44 am »
I haven't posted in here in a while. 

Welcome to all you fresh new faces/avatars!  It's good to see this community grow. 
Jump right in an make yourself at home.  Just remember one thing: Beware the Soera.  He's a weiner.

And if you really want to stand out here, send me your games.  ;D

soera

« Reply #1112 on: May 08, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »

Welcome to all you fresh new faces/avatars!  It's good to see this community grow. 
Jump right in an make yourself at home.  Just remember one thing: Befriend the Soera.  He's a winner.

And if you really want to stand out here, send Soera your games.  ;D

Fixed your obvious type errors. Glad I could help.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1113 on: May 08, 2015, 01:23:16 pm »

Jump right in an make yourself at home.  Just remember one thing: Befriend the Soera.  He's a winner.

And if you really want to stand out here, send Soera your games.  ;D

Fixed your obvious type errors. Glad I could help.

Yeah, those were obviously typos. :o

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1114 on: May 08, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »
Welcome to all the new guys, and remember, new guy buys a round of drinks for the other members. Ill take a Stone IPA please.  ;D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #1115 on: May 10, 2015, 10:35:44 am »
Welcome Komidore64!!!

It seems like we have similar tastes when it comes to consoles/games ;)

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #1116 on: May 16, 2015, 09:09:46 pm »
Hey all, hows it hangin'?

My name is Asa (ace-uh), and I only really started seriously collecting about a year ago, though I've been gaming for most of my life. There's still a TON of consoles, games, etc. that I would like to get at some point, but I'm still quite the n00b. I'm an upcoming senior in college too (nursing is my other passion alongside video games), so my time and money to spend on video games is also limited somewhat.

Regardless, it seems like this is a great site with some really great users, so I'm glad to get things started here!  :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1117 on: May 16, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »
Welcome Asa. You found a sweet spot on the interwebs.

Don't worry about being new to this. No one here cares. If it's what you want, it's your collection. Enjoy it.

soera

« Reply #1118 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:58 am »
Don't worry about being new to this. No one here cares. If it's what you want, it's your collection. Enjoy it.

Exactly. :)

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #1119 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:37 pm »

Exactly. :)

Thanks! 'preciate it.  :D

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1120 on: May 18, 2015, 07:08:35 am »
Nice to meet you, fellow collectors :)

I've been using VGC for quite some time, and it's about time I show up in the forums..

I'm a gamer from France and I collect mainly retro NTSC games and hardware - not a easy task in our PAL territories. I have a retrogaming room project that I'll be able to start by 2016 when my house construction will be over, I'll post some updates on my progress if you like !

I'm working in IT engineering as a front-end developer and I'm running a small blog about my hobbies, it's written in french though.. ;)

In advance I apologize if my english is a bit flawed, it's not my native language  :-X
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

madmax

« Reply #1121 on: May 18, 2015, 07:58:03 am »
Bienvenue!

It's great to see fellow French speaker! I understand your woes of collecting NTSC in a PAL territory. Although I am Canadian, I moved away for a few years into a PAL territory (that has no retro gaming culture) and finding games in next to impossible.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1122 on: May 19, 2015, 03:32:12 am »
Bienvenue!

It's great to see fellow French speaker! I understand your woes of collecting NTSC in a PAL territory. Although I am Canadian, I moved away for a few years into a PAL territory (that has no retro gaming culture) and finding games in next to impossible.

Merci! ;)

For most games I have to import them as well but luckily there are some cool online sellers with fair prices in UK and Netherlands that got a lot of NTSC stuff, when available it saves me the import taxes. It's usually harder to get US than JP though...
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

stealthrush

« Reply #1123 on: May 20, 2015, 08:48:50 pm »
As you may have noticed my specific taste in video-games are primarily from 1980-2005. I have been a gamer as long as I can remember. My first console being the Nintendo Entertainment System back in 1990s shortly after Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Being an only child I was spoiled to a point of playing most releases for these consoles at launch either from rental or store purchase. Besides console gaming, arcade games also are a favorite of mine. Personally I enjoy playing titles that didn't reach the mass audience and/or that were shelved away from either lack of exposure or from an over-saturated market on a specific formula at the time. Original, genre-breaking titles are also very captivating to me.

I'm a video gamer that was born in the 1980s. I would consider the new generation of gaming more of a ponzi scheme; recycled game play with content deliberately removed so the consumer is forced to shell out more cash for it. The whole Download content, micro-transactions, pay-as-you-play method is atrocious - more or less the elephant in the room for contemporary gamers. Although I consider myself a gamer I have very little interest in the seventh, and current generation of systems and games. The last console I bought was the Microsoft Xbox 360 solely for arcade ports of my favorite series.

In 2004 I contributed to a dozen of p2p communities one of them being the private 'Sega Saturn Torrents'. I've done so weekly for a year until one-by-one the websites were shut down or discontinued. I'm also the administrator of a retro video game website entitled 'Special-Attack' that was online from 2005-2012 that featured reviews of obscure games, articles, opinions, composed by myself. Special-Attack is temporarily shut-down but all the posts were saved+encrypted and will return to the net in the coming future.

As of 2010 to present I've sold much of my collection to focus on primarily two Japanese systems; NEC PC Engine CD and Sega Saturn. You can view my gallery @imgur NEC1989 X SEGA1994

■ Fan of classic Sega / Hudson / Compile
■ Enjoys Fighter / Platform / Puzzle / Shmup genre
■ Dislikes FPS / Sport / Racing / GTA-esqe genre
■ Dislikes emulation / M.U.G.E.N

I'm also active member & contributor on Unikgamer(now defunct), Favslist community.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:51:47 pm by stealthrush »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1124 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:17 am »

Jump right in an make yourself at home.  Just remember one thing: Beware the Soera.  He's a whining-weiner.

And if you really want to stand out here, send disgaeniac your games.  ;D

QFT, baby! ;) ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"