Author Topic: Is the collecting bubble shifting?  (Read 3624 times)

Is the collecting bubble shifting?
« on: December 15, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »
Has anyone else noticed that prices on NES and SNES, particularly on less rare and more sought after games are slowly decreasing. I've also noticed quite a bit more inventory for these systems are local stores around town, who only a year ago maybe had a dozen or so NES titles, but now have an abundance of games? I certainly have, but at the same time I've also noticed a huge spike in prices and demand for PS1, N64, Saturn and Dreamcast games. Even PS2, while not hevily on the rise yet, has been jumping a bit. Does anyone think that the retro collecting bubble is shifting to slightly new consoles, and if so what is your theory behind this?

Re: Is the collecting bubble shifting?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:41:56 pm »
People who were playing these systems during their informative years are now reaching that point in their life where they have, or feel that they have, disposable income.

My little brother is getting ready to graduate from college.  I wouldn't be surprised if he started collecting GCN games.  Though, as far as I'm aware, he still owns his gamecube games.  I've mentioned to him before if he decides to sell them to sell to me, but I'm sure he wouldn't bother to let me know.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:34:17 pm »
It is what it is.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:59:39 pm »
i do think the market is starting to shift, the people who are into collecting nes and snes probably have what they want or are starting to sell their games as most are probably starting to look at retirement soon. though we probably won't see anything actually drop for at least another 5-10 years.

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:53:16 am »
I'm not sure. I guess that since I get most of my games in the wild anyways instead of searching for prices on eBay, that I have basically been living in a bubble myself!

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:54:58 am »
Online seems to be a difference. Since I primarily collect Sega games for consoles, I am seeing more online recently. Locally it is about the same. Very few games I don't have, which is a shame.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
I'm not sure. I guess that since I get most of my games in the wild anyways instead of searching for prices on eBay, that I have basically been living in a bubble myself!
Same lol

Flashback2012

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:52:19 am »
Has anyone else noticed that prices on NES and SNES, particularly on less rare and more sought after games are slowly decreasing. I've also noticed quite a bit more inventory for these systems are local stores around town, who only a year ago maybe had a dozen or so NES titles, but now have an abundance of games?

Around here I haven't noticed any surplus in inventory at the local mom n' pop stores. Their selection on the sought after titles is still sporadic. If they do have an abundance of titles then it's because they've priced themselves out of reach.  :P

I certainly have, but at the same time I've also noticed a huge spike in prices and demand for PS1, N64, Saturn and Dreamcast games. Even PS2, while not hevily on the rise yet, has been jumping a bit. Does anyone think that the retro collecting bubble is shifting to slightly new consoles, and if so what is your theory behind this?

I haven't paid much attention to PS1 or Dreamcast prices. N64 always seemed like it was a continuation of the nonsense that stemmed from scalpers/flippers of NES and SNES games. I'm seeing shops put games like Conker's up for $100-125 and sometimes $150 for a raggedy ex-rental cartridge only copy.  ???

One thing I have noticed is Saturn prices for domestic titles is getting a little out of hand lately. The more desirable import releases have been steadily climbing the last 10 years now but certain domestic titles are starting to hit nosebleed prices. I can't find Clockwork Knight cheap to save my life whereas not too long ago it could still be had for $20 or better. I have the second one but trying to complete the set so to speak has been nothing short of a chore.

PS2 has an abundance of titles and anymore it's a super chore to scour through a TON of commons trying to find a decently priced diamond in the rough. I have noticed some price creep on titles and I've also noticed some shops pulling back more PS2 inventory for their display cases. Also, now that the PS4 is the mainstream system for Sony, I've started to notice some PS3 games starting to creep up.  :-\

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 12:53:49 pm »
Another thing I've noticed is a lot of collectors exiting the hobby, mostly people who were heavily into 8 and 16-bit games. There were at least 4 huge collectors in my area that sold of literally thousands of their games due to leaving the hobby. One of these people had a Flea sized collection. The winds of change are definitely in the air regarding this hobby.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 01:01:35 pm »
It's not just this hobby, it's pretty much any kind of physical media. America is getting rid of everything and going digital.

However, I'm seeing it happen to this hobby a lot slower than I am with movies, CDs, and books. Prices are still quite high (still much higher than a just a few years back). And it's still quite hard to come across certain types of games in the wild (Saturn, SNES, Sega CD, etc.).

I remember the days before Angry Video Game Nerd and such when I actually used to be able to go to a thrift shop and find Saturn and Sega CD games. When we start seeing stuff like that again, then I'll believe the hobby is dying down.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:20 pm »
The biggest bubble will be for childhood systems for those in their late 20s-30s aka people with the most disposible income. So as we are now shifting through SNES and Genesis I expect we will see N64 and PS1 prices begin to climb a little bit. I would say if you're playing the game of trying to get the cheapest games go for PS2/Xbox/GC era right now, those seem to be the cheapest relative to what they could be.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »
Every year this topic comes up, and every year the prices go up.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »
Atari dropped like a rock.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:41 pm »

I don't recall Atari 2600 EVER being expensive to collect for, far back into the 90s even. (Except for the rare exceptions, of course, like Chuck Wagon.) I always remember seeing Atari 2600 carts going for under $5 a piece.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

I don't recall Atari 2600 EVER being expensive to collect for, far back into the 90s even. (Except for the rare exceptions, of course, like Chuck Wagon.) I always remember seeing Atari 2600 carts going for under $5 a piece.
About 10 years ago Atari games were desirable because they were in their bubble.