Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 60121 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2017, 12:54:03 pm »
Hot damn I'm on fire. I finished Battle Monsters and Clockwork Knight yesterday. Hopefully the reviews won't take long to get posted.

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2017, 01:09:54 pm »
18 - Tales from the Borderlands (PC 2014) - PLAYING - I've had this one for like a year now, grabbed on a Steam sale, but couldn't pull myself into it for some reason, though a little bit is that I kinda lost interest in the Telltale formula and that all their games feel like they are 10 years old because of their never improving engine, which is true for Borderlands.  I'm one episode in though and it does hold up as being pretty funny, which will keep me going.  It reminds me how much I enjoy the series and am looking forward to Borderlands 3.  Might have to go jump back into Borderlands 2 or the Pre-Sequel after this.

maximo310

« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
[/i]27. Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (Arcade): My initial thoughts upon playing and beating this game was that it was finally a Cave game on par with the original Dodonpachi, one of my favorite SHMUPs of all time. After about 10 playthroughs, several which I played right after or before playing the original Dodonpachi, I have to say this game is almost as good as the original, but doesn't quite do it for me as much in the music or gameplay department, which overall creates a slightly less enjoyable experience for me. Don't get me wrong though, this is a top notch shooter and one that any die hard bullet hell enthusiast must play at some point! (4/4/17)

Dude, I'd highly recommend going for the 1-ALL ( 1 credit clear) in dodonpachi or daioujou black label. Both of them aren't too bad for survival clears, and you get a few extra lives over the course of 5 stages if you learn a few basic chains in the earlier stages. Plus, I wanna see you 1cc a shmup since you're really into the genre!

« Reply #228 on: April 10, 2017, 01:21:23 pm »
27. Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (Arcade): My initial thoughts upon playing and beating this game was that it was finally a Cave game on par with the original Dodonpachi, one of my favorite SHMUPs of all time. After about 10 playthroughs, several which I played right after or before playing the original Dodonpachi, I have to say this game is almost as good as the original, but doesn't quite do it for me as much in the music or gameplay department, which overall creates a slightly less enjoyable experience for me. Don't get me wrong though, this is a top notch shooter and one that any die hard bullet hell enthusiast must play at some point! (4/4/17)

Dude, I'd highly recommend going for the 1-ALL ( 1 credit clear) in dodonpachi or daioujou black label. Both of them aren't too bad for survival clears, and you get a few extra lives over the course of 5 stages if you learn a few basic chains in the earlier stages. Plus, I wanna see you 1cc a shmup since you're really into the genre!

I'm still working on 1CC for Dodonpachi; I can get to the fourth stage without losing a ship, but the last couple stages totally kick my ass every time. I think the best I've done is beating it on 4 credits. I feel like the difficulty in DOJ is on par with this original so I could see myself someday 1CCing that too.

« Reply #229 on: April 10, 2017, 01:29:29 pm »
Tried to start Nights of Azure this past weekend, but the music was stressing out my wife so she made me play Life is Strange...

wolfen

« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2017, 10:13:31 pm »
FINALLY after a whole month+ I have completed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. At times I felt like I would never stop playing the game because there is so much to find and interact with plus I really just enjoyed traversing the landscapes. I could go on and on, but no amount of words could describe how fantastic, full, and wondrous this game is.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Start - March 3
  • Finish - April 10
  • Total Time - 190+ Hours

I'm not sure what my percentage was but, I got all the shrines, I got all armor sets, all horse armor, and the most important thing...  I COLLECTED ALL OF THE KOROK SEEDS! I can't wait to see what the DLC will bring to this wonderful gaming experience.

maximo310

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2017, 01:56:05 am »
27. Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (Arcade): My initial thoughts upon playing and beating this game was that it was finally a Cave game on par with the original Dodonpachi, one of my favorite SHMUPs of all time. After about 10 playthroughs, several which I played right after or before playing the original Dodonpachi, I have to say this game is almost as good as the original, but doesn't quite do it for me as much in the music or gameplay department, which overall creates a slightly less enjoyable experience for me. Don't get me wrong though, this is a top notch shooter and one that any die hard bullet hell enthusiast must play at some point! (4/4/17)

I'm still working on 1CC for Dodonpachi; I can get to the fourth stage without losing a ship, but the last couple stages totally kick my ass every time. I think the best I've done is beating it on 4 credits. I feel like the difficulty in DOJ is on par with this original so I could see myself someday 1CCing that too.
That's pretty awesome to hear! The last two stages are definitely the toughest ones in the loop, so it might be helpful to check out a replay for good routes, especially if you're ever interested in meeting the requirements for loop 2. Anyways, lookin' forward to seeing that 1cc; you can do it!

« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2017, 07:43:52 pm »
19 - Yooka-Laylee (PC 2017) - PLAYING - It's finally here after 2 years of waiting and while I am not super deep into the game yet, still on the first world, it's about everything I expected.  Silly, charming, and enough things to collect.  I had no unrealistic hype for the game, I'm just wanting a prettier return to the old 3D platformers and that is what this seems to be.

« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2017, 02:08:17 am »
16 - The Witness (PC 2016) - 11 HOURS ABANDONED - Basically after getting 6 of the 11 things, I hit a point where there was no way I could figure it out.  Even hearing another person in a guide I watched to get 2 more of the things I needed (only need 8 of 11 for a standard ending) made it out to be that there were so many ridiculous puzzles.  I wanted to see the end, and so I used guides, and found out at the end, I can't use guides to win, there are randomized puzzles.  So that's it.  I can't beat the game, so I looked up the ending online and I would've hated it anyways, so I'm done with the game lol

There are some fantastic puzzles in here, but to me, that's only like half of them.  So many involve increasingly complicated rules and even when it seemed like I was doing them, I still wasn't sure what I was doing right and so many became just tedious to me.  I honestly can't recommend the game unless you want just the hardest puzzle game you'll likely ever play.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:36:36 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2017, 08:20:34 am »
16 - The Witness (PC 2016) - 11 HOURS ABANDONED - Basically after getting 6 of the 11 things, I hit a point where there was no way I could figure it out.  Even hearing another person in a guide I watched to get 2 more of the things I needed (only need 8 of 11 for a standard ending) made it out to be that there were so many ridiculous puzzles.  I wanted to see the end, and so I used guides, and found out at the end, I can't use guides to win, there are randomized puzzles.  So that's it.  I can't beat the game, so I looked up the ending online and I would've hated it anyways, so I'm done with the game lol

There are some fantastic puzzles in here, but to me, that's only like half of them.  So many involve increasingly complicated rules and even when it seemed like I was doing them, I still wasn't sure what I was doing right and so many became just tedious to me.  I honestly can't recommend the game unless you want just the hardest puzzle game you'll likely ever play.
From what I've been told it is highly recommended to drop the game for a day or so and come back refreshed.  Not that it matters at this point.

« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:38 am »
I don't know if I've ever been this active swapping between games, but I have 5 games in progress that I'm swapping between, will probably beat them all about the same time.

« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2017, 02:36:55 pm »
1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3
15. The Wolf Among Us
16. Donkey Kong Country
17. Unravel
18. Never Alone
19. Shadow of the Colossus
20. Fragments of Him
21. Blackwood Crossing

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:22 pm »
From what I've been told it is highly recommended to drop the game for a day or so and come back refreshed.  Not that it matters at this point.

I did take breaks, stopping for the day to come back the next and realized the answer for some, but the problem came with the puzzles that involved specific rules related to the symbols and when you start piling them together, it gets complicated and all the fun is sucked out of them.  The puzzles were at their best when they involved perspective, shadows, reflections, sound, things that gave really cool clues to solving the puzzle.  If the game was nothing but those, I would've kept with the game, even if it took me a long time to beat, because those are super clever puzzles.

guilty0fbeing

« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2017, 10:52:02 am »
I tried to do this this year; however, being a teacher, dad, and husband... I cant.

kashell

« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2017, 06:36:14 pm »
My page is finally up to date with my Shin Megami Tensei IV review.