Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 59888 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:28 am »
Before heading out of town for a bit, I decided to continue kicking it old school with the 90's. D for the Sega Saturn has been finished. A review is up.

« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:28 pm »
39 - Deadlight (PC 2012) - BEAT - This has been one of those games I see show up every so often, thinking about maybe getting it, but never did.  I'm not really into these types of 2.5D platformers in particular as there have been a lot of them over the past couple years.  But I'll take it for free through GOG.com lol

Overall, the game really wasn't that great.  It's a very bland zombie experience, with some really weak voice acting, dialogue, and story telling, and early on I figured out the ending.  It's pretty trope-filled.  Also I kind hate when a game tries as much as possible to not call things "zombies", as they call them "Shadows".  I understand why they use the term, but it never worked for me like "Walkers" do.  Doesn't help that the gameplay is like 90% alright.  It was very easy at times to make wrong jumps or to just climb down without flipping back to the other side of the wall.  For a game that is 5 years old and considered the "Director's Cut", it still has a number of bugs and some annoying gameplay issues.  Also the last area didn't feel very play tested as I kept dying from obnoxious things and it seemed rushed.

It's nothing terrible, it's short, but as someone that enjoys zombie things, this isn't one I can overly recommend unless you find it for real cheap.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:43:45 pm by kamikazekeeg »

kevininja

« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2017, 01:59:56 pm »
- snip -

I agree completely to what you said. Glad I got it for free though, because what a disappointment that game was.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:20 pm »
52 Games list
1.  Dragon Quest VII- 3DS
2.  Dragon Quest Builders- PS4- Done- Beat Main Story
3.  Hyper Light Drifter- PS4
4. Roller Coaster Tycoon- PC- Done- Beat all Original Scenarios
5.  Titanfall 2- Done- Beat Main Story on Normal
6.  Deus Ex Mankind Divided-Done- Beat Main Story on Normal, all Sidequests
7. Skies of Arcadia: Legends- GC- 5 hours in
8. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst- few hours in, game is pretty dull, probably won't finish this one
9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt- PS4- Done- Beat main story-
10. Paper Mario- N64- 5 hours in
11. Zelda- Breath of the Wild- Switch- One Divine Beat down- 3 to go
12. The Witcher 3 DLC- Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine- Complete
13. Nier Automata- Beaten- Ending A and B, working on C- Still playing as the game is not really over yet
14. Persona 5- PS4- 90 or so hours in
15. Red Faction- PS2- Beaten on Normal- Took me nearly 15 yrs after the fact but finally beat this game
16.  Gears of War: UE- XBONE- Beaten on Normal- Co-op-
17.  Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped- PS4 Beaten - 105% Plat trophy
18.  Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back- PS4 102% Plat trophy
19. Crash Bandicoot- 93%- Beaten
20.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night- PS1 - Beaten- All endings- 196%+ map percentage
21. Axiom Verge- Vita- Beaten
22. Severed- Vita- Beaten 100%- Platinum Trophy
23.  Undertale-Vita-

15/23- Probably not going to get to 52 but I'll keep trying.

« Reply #409 on: August 20, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »
42 - Mega Man 8 (PS4 2017) - BEAT - Right off the bat, screw Astro Man's stage and screw the jet boarding in this.  So much hate lol This one was an interesting one to play having played the previous 7 as in certain ways this game is a bit lesser, but also better.  Hilariously, this game has a garbage english dub, like it's shamefully bad, which kinda sucks as the animation is okay for the time and the Japanese original is totally fine and sounds good.  Overall, I thought the game was pretty reasonable.  Like if I was going to, I'd go back to probably 7 and 8 over the original ones as they have a very comfortable difficulty to them.  Still find it slightly odd these games when I feel X is the better series, but then again, I only played X and X2 and I don't know what the series became other than I know X gets kinda bad towards some of the later games.

Onto the retro throwback, Mega Man 9.

« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:17 am »
Started up Far Cry Instincts and am making progress in DQ5.

My wife beat a bunch of games last week and beat her goal for the year, she may make her goal higher now that she's making an effort to play games.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:33:24 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2017, 11:31:31 am »
Double post.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:33:36 am by ignition365 »

azure

« Reply #412 on: August 21, 2017, 12:26:00 pm »

My wife beat a bunch of games last week and beat her goal for the year, she may make her goal higher now that she's making an effort to play games.
Curious, did she start gravitating to games more because you collect them? Or did she already have a gaming background?

telly

« Reply #413 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:21 pm »

Interested in what you think of Far Cry. I just picked it up last weekend.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »

Curious, did she start gravitating to games more because you collect them? Or did she already have a gaming background?
Are we talking in general or something else?  She's been playing games as long as I have I imagine, we met at what was basically an arcade.  Just she rarely makes an effort to play/beat games and this year she is trying to so she choosing to play games more than just binge watching shows on Netflix.

Interested in what you think of Far Cry. I just picked it up last weekend.
It's very disappointing compared to the newer games, plays completely differently.  Far Cry Classic is probably better given that they are essentially the same game, but Classic is supposed to be less linear and more open.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:41:42 pm by ignition365 »

azure

« Reply #415 on: August 21, 2017, 02:41:26 pm »

Are we talking in general or something else?  She's been playing games as long as I have I imagine, we met at what was basically an arcade.  Just she rarely makes an effort to play/beat games and this year she is trying to so she choosing to play games more than just binge watching shows on Netflix.
Yeah in general. One of my friend's wife had no interest in games what so ever, and then she started taking an interest in them because of his collection.

« Reply #416 on: August 21, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »

Yeah in general. One of my friend's wife had no interest in games what so ever, and then she started taking an interest in them because of his collection.
My wife is probably why I started collecting, despite the fact that she would probably prefer otherwise.  She bought me Mega Man, Yoshi, and Yoshi's Cookie all CIB for the NES and one of those portable NES systems for one of our first anniversaries when we were just dating.  Back then I probably had 100 or so games.

kashell

« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:35 am »
The review for Lufia: The Legend Returns is up!

Also, over the weekend I platinum'd Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I'm not sure if I'll write a review on it or not. That game was pretty awful.

« Reply #418 on: August 22, 2017, 10:10:04 am »
I'm currently playing Sonic Mania, and while I've passed 52-games, I really want to get back into the swing of things and at least beat 3 games a month. I'm only at one for this month so far.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #419 on: August 22, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »
Yeah, I’m not going to make my goal anymore…

I did really good until the end of May, but then I guess real life, other hobbies, etc got in the way, and the challenge just kind of fell. Too bad, but hey, what can you do?

And I’m glad to jump back in with a game I loved: Miitopia! I absolutely loved Tomodachi Life, so when I heard about this game, I instantly pre-ordered it, and I’m glad I did! I loved this game!

I know the RPG combat isn’t terribly deep, but it isn’t supposed to be. It’s just deep enough to keep it interesting and engaging without becoming stale or too complicated for its own good. After all, this game is about its humour and the interactions between characters above anything, and it absolutely delivered on my expectations. I couldn’t help but smile as I saw some of the matchups I created and how those characters interacted with eachother. The situations can be as ridiculous and entertaining as you want, and let me tell you, my situations were very entertaining.

I will admit, sometimes the game can drag on just a little bit, but that’s nothing a small break won’t fix. And with its huge replayability and pretty long main campaign (my playthrough clocking in at a little over 38 hours) I can’t help but recommend this game!

Also, can I get one round of applause for the amazing team of characters that made this all possible and saved the land?

So that puts me at 22. I honestly don’t think the pace will pick up from here again, since school, other hobbies, private life, work, etc. probably aren’t gonna slow down any time soon. But there are still a few new releases coming up I’m really looking forward to (like Life is Strange: Before the Storm and Metroid: Samus Returns), and there are still plenty of oldies I still want to beat, but we’ll see how things go.

Italics means I had already started with the game November last year or earlier
A red glow means this is a second playthrough
A blue glow means the game has been completed 100%
Right now the list is:
  • Life is Strange
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Kirby’s Dream Land
  • Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (PC version)
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Drawn to Life
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • 8-Bit Bayonetta
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Bayonetta
  • Space Channel 5: Part 2
  • DuckTales: Remastered
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Miitopia
So what’s next? Hmm, that’s a good one. I’m on vacation right now, so I can only play whichever DS and 3DS games I brought. The World Ends With You? Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter? Kirby Mass Attack? Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All? Continue in my second playthrough of Pokémon SoulSilver maybe? Or perhaps something from the Virtual Console. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins? Pokémon Blue Version? I don’t know, I guess I’ll just see what I feel like playing next and go from there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:16:46 am by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.