Author Topic: Two questions about your favorite consoles  (Read 5008 times)

ferraroso

Two questions about your favorite consoles
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:34 am »
For most of my life I've considered the PS1 to be the best gaming console ever...
However after starting to collect for the Master System (and maybe because I was born in Brazil, where the MS was king over the NES) I figured out that it may be my favorite console of all time.

On the other hand, since I've been living in Japan for 6 years now, the Saturn became my favorite console to retro collect.
So, I ask you guys:

1) What is your favorite gaming console ever?
2) What console do you have the most fun collecting for?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:01:12 am by ferraroso »

Re: Two questions about your favorite consoles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:37 am »
I've also been going through phases with consoles. Right now I would have to say:

1) Sega Mega Drive (including the Mega CD)
2) The relatively obscure Amiga CD32 console, where the games are (mostly) crap and rare/expensive as hell :)

ferraroso

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:08:29 am »
I've seen it on the internet sometimes, but I can't say I have ever seen an Amiga with my own eyes (haha)...

And I also think the Mega Drive is an awesome system and, in my opinion, it is the best looking console ever (specially the Japanese model 1 with the huge 16-BIT stamped on it and with the model 1 Mega CD attached to it).

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:16:45 am »
1) Sega Dreamcast - it has the most games I'm interested in, as well as my favorite two games of all times on it (Shenmue and Shenmue 2). It is arguably the system I have the most nostalgia for as well.

2) This actually changes fairly often. I'll get on a collecting kick for a console and it will be at the forefront of what I want for some tme, until I really get into collecting for another console. At the moment though I'd say it is a toss up betwen the Japanese Sega Saturn or the PSP. The Saturn is a system I've loved for a very long time, and I originally got into collecting for it years ago when it was a lot cheaper. Sadly times have changed and it has become expensive to collect for no matter which region you're after. As for the PSP, the games are mostly super cheap, but for whatever reason some of the more sought after games can be hard to track down, at least in the wild.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:53:53 am by bikingjahuty »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:09 am »
1) NES - It's where my love for games took off. It's my favorite.  SNES is a close second.  It actually has better games.

2) NES - It was a long road; but after 14 years (I started in 2002) I found every NES game.  It was a long, fun adventure.  It brought me here.  It helped me make lots of friends.  It was so much fun to find stuff for.  Those days are gone.  Now, I don't even buy stuff.  I haven't bought a collectable game in something like 3 months.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:32 am »
This is a tough one for me. I would want to say at first NES, because of the memories of childhood but I have not played NES really since then. So when I really want to think of it, I will have to say PS2.

That would be Sega Genesis.

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:09:15 pm »
I can see that many people here love the DreamCast as much as I do!

Maybe because the Master System was such a juggernaut back in Brazil when I was a kid (and in fact, in way, it still is) I've never felt any attachment for the NES (or for Nintendo in general)... So It is very interesting for me to see how gaming culture varies from country to country and how many people around the world have so much love for the NES (a console that I saw for the first time in the late 90's!).
After moving to Japan, I can say that I finally begun to appreciate the Famicom and the Disk System, but Alex Kidd is still much closer to my heart than I think Mario will ever be...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:12:42 pm by ferraroso »

hexen

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »
1) SNES is my favorite, with PS2 being very close behind.

2) NES. Growing up, I was always fascinated by the NES. I was born on it's tail end, and because of poor knowledge about it's upkeep, I almost never got a chance to play one. My early daycare had one that never worked, a few people I knew had ones I wasn't able to play much, and I bought one at a garage sale at a young age from a neighbor that I thought was broken and returned because of my poor knowledge of cleaning them then. I grew up with an Intellivision instead until I got an SNES. When I finally was old enough to have some money their was no NES bubble yet so I was able to buy up tons of games for nothing, how I miss those times. All the games where mysterious because I only saw a handful of unique games in my limited experience, and there where so many of them! So, I decided to get all I could. Now I am sad when I look back when I saw games like Bubble Bobble 2 & Little Samson and thought that $50 was WAY too much...
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 03:37:28 pm »
1) NES - It's where my love for games took off. It's my favorite.  SNES is a close second.  It actually has better games.

2) NES - It was a long road; but after 14 years (I started in 2002) I found every NES game.  It was a long, fun adventure.  It brought me here.  It helped me make lots of friends.  It was so much fun to find stuff for.  Those days are gone.  Now, I don't even buy stuff.  I haven't bought a collectable game in something like 3 months.

what are you doing???? SNES is out there waiting for a complete library in your house! lol.

1) SNES it is what I grew up on and in my opinion has the best/funest games of any console

2) Playstation 2 there are just soooooo many games for this console that finding them all is going to be a fun decade or 2. plus every time I look for the randomest game ever it is on ps2.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »
2) Playstation 2 there are just soooooo many games for this console that finding them all is going to be a fun decade or 2. plus every time I look for the randomest game ever it is on ps2.

The PS2 is a nearly endless pool of awesomeness. I am at nearly 400 games and I'm still not close to being done wanting games on that system. It has so many gems and great titles, you could game only on it for your whole life and be completely satisfied :)

soera

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 05:31:24 pm »
For most of my life I've considered the PS1 to be the best gaming console ever...
However after starting to collect for the Master System (and maybe because I was born in Brazil, where the MS was king over the NES) I figured out that it may be my favorite console of all time.

On the other hand, since I've been living in Japan for 6 years now, the Saturn became my favorite console to retro collect.
So, I ask you guys:

I consider the PS1 to be probably the best pure RPG console ever too. And I have a complete NTSC US/Canadian Master system collection so I can understand your feelings on that too. However ...

My answer to both questions would have to be the PS4. Everything that the PS1 was, the PS4 has improved on and will continue to pass. The amount of games and the content of the games that will be on there by the end of the consoles life will most likely be untouched by any system ever.

Btw, Im jealous of you living in Japan and would love to go there.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 05:47:01 pm »
There's a lot of nostalgia for my choice and I know its not the best console, but the N64 is both my choices.  It was the console that I would truly considered "MINE" and some of my favorite games ever are on it.  Sure the controller sucks and it doesn't have a big library, but I kinda love everything about it in design, the cartridges, the boxes.

If I was abit more objective, I'd probably say Playstation 2, but there's something I'm always gonna love about N64.

Also, hey! Hook me up with some cheap Godzilla figures from over there! lol

Warmsignal

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:18 pm »
My choices are based purely on nostalgia.

1 - SNES.

2 - N64.

So many memories, so many games I was so hyped to play back then. As much as I enjoy any console nowadays, I know I'll never really feel that way again.

ferraroso

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:30:41 pm »
My answer to both questions would have to be the PS4. Everything that the PS1 was, the PS4 has improved on and will continue to pass. The amount of games and the content of the games that will be on there by the end of the consoles life will most likely be untouched by any system ever.

Btw, Im jealous of you living in Japan and would love to go there.

I am not one of those overly nostalgic guys who thinks that everything was better in the past, but, although owning the system since it's launch, I don't think the PS4 has (nor has it the potential to have) a very good library... In fact, I would say that unfortunately it is on the way to be the worst Sony console ever in my understanding... So, I would love to hear from you what makes you like it so much.
Oh! And if you happen to be in Japan someday or need something from here, just let me know! It is far from the best place in the world to collect for the Master System and Mega Drive, but it is great for almost everything else!

Haha! Godzilla figures and memorabilia can be found in abundance and almost for free around here. If you are looking for any particular stuff, I can check it for you.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 10:23:39 pm »

Haha! Godzilla figures and memorabilia can be found in abundance and almost for free around here. If you are looking for any particular stuff, I can check it for you.

I've seen the videos, I'm so jealous of hobbyists in Japan lol.  Some stuff has been okay here, I've bought some of those NECA figures which are around 20 bucks each, I got the 8-bit paintjob one, but Shin Godzilla stuff is impossible to find at a reasonable price.  Maybe more will show up around the home video release, but I've seen so much Shin Godzilla stuff over there and very little comes here or there are even places to get it at.  I can't make it to most conventions so I can't check there and import stuff is pricey from dealers.  I might keep it in mind if you are offering to take a look and I find one I really want as I just need to find one particularly good Shin Godzilla to get lol