Author Topic: Genre definitions  (Read 6048 times)

Genre definitions
« on: January 24, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »
If we are specifically listing "first-person shooters" where are we listing shooters aka scrolling space shooters aka shmups? I've put a couple in Arcade which is fine, unless we want to add shmups or something else.

scott

Re: Genre definitions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:53:23 am »
Ya we are working on fixing the genre system. Actually we were thinking of a couple of different ways to go about it. Either by adding more genres to the list, or splitting it into main-genres and sub-genres. I've brought it up w/ Matt previously as well. It's definitely on the list.

As of right now I've been listing shmups as action games. But I totally see a need to rework the system, hopefully it can get straightened out soon. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:04:17 pm »
This is definitely something that needs to be addressed. Here is the current list of genres:

Action
Adventure
Arcade
Classic
Fighting
First-person Shooter
MMORPG
Party
Puzzle
Racing
Rhythm
RPG
Simulation
Sports
Strategy
Other

I'm not quite sure how to tackle this and am open to suggestions. I do like the idea of having sub-genres but we'd have to define them all out first.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »
There's gotta be an established set of genre definitions.

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:28:20 am »
> khmr33
> There's gotta be an established set of genre definitions.

Well let's just start tossing out some suggestions and I'll get them added ASAP. We just need to make sure we cover everything.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:16:57 am »
A few I thought of while entering my collection:
Art (as in Mario Paint, etc.)
Edutainment (I hate that word, but for games like Carmen Sandiego and the Sesame Street games)
Exercise (Wii Fit, and the like)

Also, what would you consider fighting games?  When I think of fighting games, I think of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.  What about games like Final Fight?  I've been listing them as platformers, because I think that fits them better.  Just wanted to get some opinions.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »
I think I'd place Final Fight into Action or maybe more specifically create a new genre called Beat-'Em-Up. This is traditionally what I called them.

I agree with your other suggestions and will add them to the to-do list.

scott

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »
Ya, I would list games like final fight, streets of rage, river city ransom, maximum carnage, etc as beat em up. Much like xevious, 1942, raiden, hydorah, etc would be shoot em up. But I currently list them as action.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:15:52 am »
How about Shoot'em Up or maybe Side Scrolling Shooters? I just updated the box art for Abadox and couldn't really pick a genre. Also, Third-Person Shooters might be a good add.

darko

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:22:42 am »
Not really a Genre...but there needs to be an "Unofficial" release type added for games like Bible Adventures, etc.

tpugmire

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:27:25 am »
Yeah, I ran into that when listing the black cart Tengen games.  I just did them as official.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

matt

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:33 am »
> darko
> Not really a Genre...but there needs to be an "Unofficial" release type added for games like Bible Adventures, etc.

@darko This has been added. It doesn't actually show up on the item info page yet, but I'll get to that later tonight. Thanks!

matt

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
I also just added:

Edutainment
Exercise
Beat 'Em Up
Shoot 'Em Up

atariboy

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:39 pm »
What about adding flight combat or flight simulator or something similar and tactical shooter or steath shooter or would those go under action? also what about Survival Horror?
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

darko

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:02:45 am »
Survival Horror?