Author Topic: The Nintendo Switch Discussion  (Read 18781 times)

The Nintendo Switch Discussion
« on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:52 am »
I figured with the other one being outdated and having stuff spanning from last year till now, that I'll make a brand new thread with everything we know at the moment, and that way we can have a fresh thread with as much information that people can use without needing to dig around.

Nintendo Switch System
-Nintendo Switch Release Date: March 3rd, 2017
-Nintendo Switch Price: $299.99 (NA)
-Most games will be region free
-Paid online service free till this fall, no price point currently.  Introducing a lot of smart phone app use, voice communication, lobby creating, friend lists, etc.
-Battery life is between 2.5 and 6.5 hours depending on game use.
-Share button only does screenshots at launch, but will allow for video later.
-32gb built in storage, supports microsdhxc cards.
-Two bundles at launch, only difference is one has grey joycon controllers, the other has "neon" (Red and Blue).  Comes with Switch tablet, two detachable joycon controllers, Switch dock, joycon controller charge unit, two wrist strap connectors for detached joycons, USBC power adapter, and HDMI cord.

Nintendo Switch Games
AT LAUNCH
-Just Dance 2017
-Super Bomberman R
-1, 2, Switch
-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U version confirmed for March 3rd release)
-Skylanders Imaginators
-Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
-World of Goo
-Little Infernal
-Human Resource Machine

MARCH
-Snipperclips
-Fast RMX
-I am Setsuna
-Has-Been Heroes

APRIL 28TH
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

SPRING 2017
-Arms
-Puyopyuo Tetris
-Redout

SUMMER 2017
-Rime
-Splatoon 2

FALL 2017
-Skyrim
-Fire Emblem Warriors

HOLIDAY 2017
-Super Mario Odyssey

2017 IN GENERAL
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Minecraft
-Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers
-FIFA
-Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
-Disgaea 5
-Sonic Mania
-Steep
-NBA 2k
-Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
-Project Sonic 2017

OTHER CONFIRMED GAMES
-Fire Emblem
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Dragon Quest X, XI, Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2
-Project: Octopath Traveler (Square Enix RPG)
-No More Heroes
-Rayman Legends Definitive Edition
-Yooka-Laylee
-Blazblue
-Farming Simulator
-Lego City Undercover
-Minecraft: Story Mode
-Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
-New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
-Stardew Valley
-Story of Seasons
-Syberia 3
-State of Mind

Other Announcements
-2 New Breath of the Wild Amiibo's, bringing the total up to 5 with the three previously released ones.  Apparently Wolf Link amiibo is getting a separate release from its Twilight Princess bundle.
-Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is getting two special editions.  A special edition with a map, CD, Switch carry case, and button.  The Master Edition, which is already sold out basically everywhere, comes with a Master Sword statute as seen in the recent trailer, all scuffed and old.
-January 18th there will be a Fire Emblem direct.
-Ultra Street Fighter 2 is bringing in two more characters, Evil Ryu & Violent Ken, some alternate modes, and will allow you to switch from old school graphics or HD graphics.  It will have local and network play.

If I got anything wrong or missed anything, feel free to add it, I'll try and keep this updated till launch as we start to get stuff confirmed and more revealed as its guaranteed not to stop with less than 2 months to go.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:51:44 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: The Nintendo Switch Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:22 am »
Just a slight fix, just because I'm nit-picky about this little bit.  ;D Nintendo noted that most games will be region free, not necessarily all. Obviously that is nitpicking, but it's got me curious as to what games wouldn't be region-free, and why (money matters, I assume). Sorry, but that little detail has me curious why they didn't say that all of them would be region free... ???

Great list! I am pleased to see you put all my favorites on the list haha. ;D

Overall I felt the presentation wasn't bad, but I would've liked to hear more about the technical specs of the console. I'll be very interested to see how viable it is as a handheld, since Sony had to go all old-yeller on the Vita... :-\

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Just a slight fix, just because I'm nit-picky about this little bit.  ;D Nintendo noted that most games will be region free, not necessarily all. Obviously that is nitpicking, but it's got me curious as to what games wouldn't be region-free, and why (money matters, I assume). Sorry, but that little detail has me curious why they didn't say that all of them would be region free... ???

Overall I felt the presentation wasn't bad, but I would've liked to hear more about the technical specs of the console. I'll be very interested to see how viable it is as a handheld, since Sony had to go all old-yeller on the Vita... :-\

I think we'll have lots more details coming very soon for the nitty gritty.  Already I'd probably say it's better than the Vita, since it doesn't use proprietary memory cards and it can be used on the TV instantly rather than relying on cross share lol Bigger screen, does 720p on the go, 1080 on the tv, multi-touch capacitive and all the control features allow you to play it any way you want.  Use it like a handheld.  Prop it up with the kickstand and play with joycons separately, or just one, or use it with the charger grip, or the pro controller, it has a crazy amount of control options.

And I'll fix that to say "most" games will be region free.  I didn't catch the part about it not being all games, but I was in a chat with friends so I couldn't always hear the stream perfectly.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:09:10 am »

I think we'll have lots more details coming very soon for the nitty gritty.  Already I'd probably say it's better than the Vita, since it doesn't use proprietary memory cards and it can be used on the TV instantly rather than relying on cross share lol Bigger screen, does 720p on the go, 1080 on the tv, multi-touch capacitive and all the control features allow you to play it any way you want.  Use it like a handheld.  Prop it up with the kickstand and play with joycons separately, or just one, or use it with the charger grip, or the pro controller, it has a crazy amount of control options.

And I'll fix that to say "most" games will be region free.  I didn't catch the part about it not being all games, but I was in a chat with friends so I couldn't always hear the stream perfectly.

Seriously, no worries, I really was being nit-picky haha. ;D

Oh, and Jim Sterling's video noted that the Nintendo Treehouse video announced an online subscription would feature something like an NES or SNES game each month (I think it was two or three maybe), free for members... the catch being that they go away at the end of each month, and apparently don't stay in the user's library. But we'll see, I'm sure they'll fill in the details sometime after the console's launch.

I've gotta agree with him... that's a pretty damn underwhelming incentive. They're gonna need something really good if they expect the western market to pay for a subscription, on top of people already having Xbox Gold and/or PSN.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:13:21 am »
Right, I forgot to add those.  If those are just "rentals" basically, that's an absolutely garbage incentive unless this online service is gonna be crazy cheap, like 2 bucks a month or something.

Flashback2012

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:23:38 am »
So this morning I had to pick a kid from preschool and on the way back I also needed to go to the bank. The GameStop I used to work at years back is located in the same plaza so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and move around some pre-orders on games I've picked up at other locations but had reserved there.

I go in and am doing some shopping/looking around. I saw the signage for the Switch and immediately assumed that all of the mouth breathing flippers/scalpers in my area had already sucked up the store's allocated quantity. Imagine my surprise when after I jokingly asked if they had any systems still available for pre-order that he said yes.  :P

At that point I decided to take the Nestea plunge on one even though I hadn't pre-ordered a system since the PS2/GameCube/Xbox days. All three of those I pre-ordered at launch and all three failed so until Friday morning I had sworn off buying launch systems. With the Switch, I figured if I had buyer's remorse then at the very worst I could hock it for just over what I paid for it (nothing crazy like double or triple but like $20-30 to cover my gas and time invested).

Aside from the Standard system pre-order, I also pre-ordered a docking stand as well as the games LOZ: BotW and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I didn't find out till later on Friday night via FB about Super Bomberman R. I might or might not go back in and drop a pre-order on that as well. I mean I will absolutely own it at some point but I'm on the fence about the price. I want it but I don't $60 want it.  ;)  :P

Anything colored or Neon was already allocated out as was the $99 Bundle of LOZ:BotW. I was slightly bummed at the inability to reserve the LE of BotW but thanks to limited space in the house as well as companies like NIS incessantly announcing expensive LEs that I cannot possibly keep up with...I got over being bummed and just drop $5 for the regular edition.  ;)

TL;DR: Was at GS and pre-ordered what I thought would be scooped up by bottom feeders. I still don't feel like I'm on board with the system and I didn't watch much of the Treehouse stuff to get an idea of what's coming out.

Anyway, good initial post in this thread about specs and releases. I've got time to save up for the systems release but I'm half wondering if I don't start picking up some WiiU stuff now since it will get pricey down the road.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40:58 am »
At that point I decided to take the Nestea plunge on one even though I hadn't pre-ordered a system since the PS2/GameCube/Xbox days. All three of those I pre-ordered at launch and all three failed so until Friday morning I had sworn off buying launch systems.

Not too take this too far off topic for long, but how in the world was the PS2 a failure? It's the best selling console of all time and it has a pile of great games lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:51:26 am by kamikazekeeg »

indenton

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:12:54 am »
Well, you guys can carry on talking about that. 

I'm rather interested in 'Arms', I'm getting a Splatoon vibe from the character designs and after hearing from people who've had some hands on experience with the game, I'm curious to see more. 

Fire Emblem Warriors? alright! Can't wait to see that Fire Emblem direct next week

Super Mario Odyssey was very surprising to see at first but very soon spanned out to reveal the most interesting Mario game in years.  New abilities, wide open worlds to explore.  But most of all the New Super Mario Bros. aesthetic is gone 

Super Bomberman R, I'm super skeptical of how this is going to play out, I've got my eyes on you Konami

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, yeah this is looking splendid

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 09:13:40 am »
i would maybe add stardew valley to the games list... thats confirmed, right?

also, don't think  i see RedOut, sonic project 2017 or that farming sim game on your list either..

man I'm so pumped for bomberman and tetris... i feel like nintendo catered to me personally lol, and it came seemingly out of nowhere since most people were saying theres no way konami would work with nintendo or put bomberman in a game for that matter.. you've probably seen me go on and on about bomberman on this site ;)
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:17:08 am »
Well, you guys can carry on talking about that. 

I'm rather interested in 'Arms', I'm getting a Splatoon vibe from the character designs and after hearing from people who've had some hands on experience with the game, I'm curious to see more. 

Fire Emblem Warriors? alright! Can't wait to see that Fire Emblem direct next week

Super Mario Odyssey was very surprising to see at first but very soon spanned out to reveal the most interesting Mario game in years.  New abilities, wide open worlds to explore.  But most of all the New Super Mario Bros. aesthetic is gone 

Super Bomberman R, I'm super skeptical of how this is going to play out, I've got my eyes on you Konami

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, yeah this is looking splendid

i would echo all your sentiments... really hoping the online gameplay of bomberman is better than what it was on Bomberman blast years ago.. otherwise I can't imagine that game not being awesome. the treehouse footage looked great!

also thrilled for Fast Racing sequel - so much high-energy racing fun!

xenoblade 2... i don't really need to say anything more

i'll play street fighter, will re-buy shovel knight for the new content...not crying tears of joy or anything though..

and moderately curious about Steep.
Nintendo Network: sloan011

Bomberman Blast: 4601 6171 3594

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 11:12:55 am »
Sorry for the double-post, but it seems the discussion moved over here like right after I posted in other thread. So anyways, here's my thoughts on it:

After watching the presentation my take-away is that the concept itself for the console is awesome. But the game line-up just doesn't have me excited enough.

The 4 games I'm excited the most about I can already get or will get on my XBox One, Wii U, or 3DS: Skyrim Remastered, Sonic Mania, LoZ: Breath of the Wild, and Dragon Quest XI.

Maybe if any of those were exclusives, they would have wooed me as an early adopter. But for now, I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines and wait and see what happens, and see if any must-have titles pop-up on it for me. I'll just keep Nintendo-ing on with my Wii U , 3DS XL, and retro consoles for now.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:29 am »
Whether or not I has going to get one at launch hinged on the most import part of a launch console which is its games. For example, I held off on buying a PS4 until last XMAS because the launch was pretty lackluster imo. So I watched the conference on Thursday, and holy shit...what an awkward, poorly planned mess that was!

On top of that, the only times where I was genuinely pumped was when they announced Splatoon 2 (which has a a ague release date of this summer) and Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Arms, while I admit could end up being very fun, looked too much like an updated Wii Boxing with even more ridiculous (aka stupid) looking characters. However, Arms looked like a masterpiece compared to 1, 2 Switch, which I would argue barely qualifies as a video game since it mostly seems to be a hub for selecting mini games to play with your friends involving the joy cons. As from these announcements the presentation was rather boring and forgetable, and afterwards I was pretty sure that I would be waiting until this Summer until Splatoon 2 came out to get one, opting to get Breath of the Wild on the Wii U.

My GF on the other hand felt very different; she wanted one even more after that presentation and was begging me to get one, but I still was firm in wanting to wait, until the Tree House presentation the next day that is.

While the launch of the Switch is going to be very underwhelming, even with a new Zelda, there are so many games I do want to get down the road that just looked so awesome in game that I thought, "okay, I'm going to go to Gamestop after work and if they do have a preorder left I will grab one. Sure enough, 5pm rolls around, I go home and the GF and I go to one of our local Gamestops and to me shock they still had half their preorder allotment available, however the colored Joy Con versions were sold out. I put money down on a grey Switch and Zelda since it is the only launch game I care about.

I am getting more and more hyped as time goes by and I cannot wait to see what new games get announced at E3.

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:53:34 am »
At that point I decided to take the Nestea plunge on one even though I hadn't pre-ordered a system since the PS2/GameCube/Xbox days. All three of those I pre-ordered at launch and all three failed so until Friday morning I had sworn off buying launch systems.

Not too take this too far off topic for long, but how in the world was the PS2 a failure? It's the best selling console of all time and it has a pile of great games lol

Oops...there seems to be a misunderstanding. I was trying to say that each of the systems I purchased as launch units eventually crapped out/failed and had to be replaced. The first one to fail was my Xbox which wouldn't read games (drive failure). Later on both my PS2 and GC started acting up so I replaced them as well. It worked out for the latter two because I was able to get the Zelda Promo Cube and the PS2 I got had the built in IR for the remote.  ;)

Having to replace all of my 6th-Gen consoles really soured me to the idea of launch systems in general. Then I noticed issues with the 7th Gen consoles like the 360's launch debacle ever persistent RROD issue, Sony's flip flopping on releases of the PS3 and jerking people around with BC (also the YLOD) and of course Nintendo being Nintendo and using their infuriating hype/scarcity playbook with the Wii.

Hopefully I don't have those issues with the Switch. I would much prefer that my launch system works YEARS after they're onto the next system (if there is one  :P) and if there's a reason for me to buy an additional unit is because they launched a variant that I couldn't pass up (like the Red Mario Anniversary Wii and Zelda WiiU).  ;)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 01:08:18 pm »
I am hyped for it but... I think i will hold off till winter or next spring. I am already getting botw for the wii u so i don't really need it at launch, also the Cad price tag is nearly 500$ after taxes so id rather wait for a sale and, or more game to be released. It's really a shame how weak the launch titles are. :l

indenton

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:14 pm »
It's really a shame how weak the launch titles are. :l
I beg to differ, I standby Zelda Breath of the Wild as a solid launch title.  The problem is... that's it.  1-2-Switch totally looks like that 'dumb fun' game that would've been bundled with the thing, not a full retail game! 

I'm interested in Super Bomberman R, let's just hope Konami don't screw this up

Just Dance 2017?  umm