Author Topic: Quick question: RE Mercenaries on XB1 and RE4  (Read 515 times)

Quick question: RE Mercenaries on XB1 and RE4
« on: April 07, 2017, 08:59:02 pm »
Hey all! A quick question.

One of my favorite parts (er, well... probably my favorite part, actually) of RE5 was the unlockable Mercs Mode. I saw that it got a Gold Edition release on PS3, and it appears that the PS4/XB1 port is basically the same thing. But I had a few questions about it that I was hoping someone could help with...

The wiki says "The Mercenaries United is a minigame available in the PS4 and Xbox One release of Resident Evil 5. It is a combination of the game's The Mercenaries and The Mercenaries Reunion. All characters and stages from both modes can be selected from the beginning.[1]" So is Mercs mode unlocked from the start (i.e. I don't have to finish the campaign again)? Are the alternate costumes also unlocked, or do those still have to be unlocked again before they are usable?

As for RE4, I had never known until perhaps some time ago that there was even a Mercs Mode in it. Does anyone know if/how it differs between console versions (GC/Wii/PS4)? Just curious.

Thanks!  :D

I think it's kind of unfortunate that these extra modes were kinda flushed down the toilet as they were, in favor of the newer design in RE:R/2. I really liked Mercs Mode as it was presented in 5 & the 3DS version (the touch screen inventory is a great addition), and I wish I knew why they felt it needed to be changed (or, rather, replaced) in later releases. The new enemy levelling (i.e. either being two shot kills if you're too experienced or bullet sponges that make winning impossible if you're too inexperienced) is kinda offputting to me at the extreme ends. I liked the weapon loadouts/level design present in RE5/Mercs3D, both which felt pretty balanced to me.