Author Topic: For the lulz  (Read 2829 times)

ffxik

For the lulz
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:57 am »
Seriously read this article and try to do so with a straight face. 

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/video-game-industry-apple-next-victim-195848905.html

htimreimer

Re: For the lulz
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:02:14 am »
facepalm

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:00:49 am »
I think that the article raises some interesting points. I think the fact that the Vita has a front and a back touch screen shows me that Sony is watching what Apple is doing and trying to improve on it. I don't think that Sony/Nintendo should be worried at this point because the money isn't there for developers on the IOS devices.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:06 am »
Apple already joined the gaming industry :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:57:36 am »
I know it had the Apple name on it, but wasn't the Pippin actually made by Bandai?

I don't have one and I know very little about it, so excuse me (and feel free to educate me) if I'm wrong.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

atariboy

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »
I know it had the Apple name on it, but wasn't the Pippin actually made by Bandai?

I don't have one and I know very little about it, so excuse me (and feel free to educate me) if I'm wrong.

According to wikipedia it was developed by Apple and Manufactured by Bandai.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

scott

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:03:11 pm »
I love the comments on that article.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:09:58 pm »
I don't get what's with all the "doomsday for Sony and Nintendo" talk lately. Maybe it's because I have yet to play a REALLY GREAT game on iOS (with the exception of Kairosoft titles), or because games that I KNOW are great like the original Splatterhouse or Megaman X are complete crap on an iPod Touch (due to either my fingers getting in the way of the action or any solutions to that problem making the display way too tiny to really see what's going on)... but I don't know how it's even feasible to see iOS as a competitor to the 3DS or Vita.

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »

The games ran on a modified version of Mac OS. So yes, it's an Apple system.

darko

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:05:32 pm »
According to Apple they sold 172 million "post PC devices" - iPods, iPads, and iPhones combined in 2011. Now those are some serious numbers and is a big part of the reason Apple had enough cash last week to buy a country at ~$100 Billion (instead they're buying back their stock with it).

As of early November 2011, the 360 had sold ~ 57 million, PS3 ~ 55.5 million, and the Wii ~ 89 million consoles since each was released. That's 201.5 million in total for those of you who hate addition.

Seems like an unfair comparison since we're talking at 1 year of sales for Apple vs roughly 7 for the consoles, right? Well consider this. The sales of iPhones last year alone make up ~ 42% of those "post PC devices" at 72.3 million. I think that's a big key assuming everyone here is like me and only plays a game on their phone for a few minutes when it's time to take a bathroom break, when you're waiting to board a flight at the airport, or when you're riding the bus (for those outside of the US and have a legitimate public transportation system). Also, how many people do you know that bought an iPhone because it has tons of sweet games on it? The correct answer to that is ZERO. They bought it to make calls and because it's the coolest thing to have, supposedly. As far as the iPods and iPads go, I'd be willing to bet that the average age of a person sitting down to actually "game" on one of these is about 8. Let's say 50% or so of the people buying these two devices actually buy them with gaming even on their mind. That would bring the total of units sold FOR GAMING to 49.8 million which, as any logical and sane person can see, is still an extremely high estimate.

There were ~ 6.5 million copies of MW3 sold on the first day it was released and ~12 million in the first week. Battlefield sold ~ 5 million in the first week, Skyrim sold ~ 7 million in the first week, and ME3 sold ~ 3.5 million in the first 24 hours.

I'm not even going to get into the game sales figures on the iDevices. Sure Angry Birds has been downloaded over 500 million times, but that doesn't mean everyone paid money for it since you can download free versions. Either way it's still a bathroom game.

I'm tired of looking crap up so I'll leave it at that. I might edit in some more if I can think of anything on my drive home :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:50:57 pm by darko »

madmax

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:19 pm »
I downloaded angry birds on my android phone, played for 3 days, never touched it again. They're bathroom games, there are no real elements to hook you to the game.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »
I agree that Angry Birds and the like are just really, as you guys put it, "Bathroom games." To me those types of games just dont provide the same, I guess Immersion, as console games, also there seems to be a lot of crap as far as games go on the Ipad/Iphone and android. I dont think anybody in their right mind would be fine paying $10 to $15 for those types of games. I think mkost people download them for some quick fun that doesnt hold their interest. As far as Nintendo and Sony are concerned, I dont really think they need to worry much about it.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:34 pm »
I've read many of these articles online and argued with peeps in the forums.  IMO: I play games on my phone and tablet, it's just enough fun to waste some time.  When I really want to get into something I pull out the PS3, Vita, or Saturn.  TV didn't kill movie theaters, sometimes you want the bigger better experience.  I feel I only get that on a device with excellent controls and immersive, deep games.

soera

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:49:59 pm »
But the sad fact is that there are some games that are only being released on a phone. I know there is at least 2 DQ games and 1 FF game thats phone only ... The profit margin per game sold on that is so much better than a console game made on something physical that eventually the top dogs in the system world are going to work their way that direction. It may not be immediate but its definitely something I see planned for the future.

scott

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »
Konami released a Castlevania game on a phone previously and it was limited to a certain carrier, I believe and then it was also pure garbage. They also released the iPhone only Encore of the Night puzzle game recently based on Symphony of the Night. Honestly I couldn't care less about either. If I had an ipod touch or iphone, I doubt I'd play that puzzle game and more often than bathroom breaks. haha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread