Author Topic: Style Guide Update Poll Idea Submissions  (Read 80546 times)

totallycrushed

Re: Style Guide Update Poll Idea Submissions
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2018, 11:38:49 am »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:55:23 pm by totallycrushed »

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2018, 12:34:40 pm »

As already pointed out, it is not sold in France as it is missing the regulatory information. It is not sold in Germany, as it is not rated by USK. It is not sold in Italy as it is missing the hologram. While it may have French, German and Italian on the packaging, it is not sold in those countries, therefore the TLDs in the title are incorrect. Remember that the TLD indicates which country the item was created for sale in, not what languages are on the item.

Games can and will be sold in those country's if there stock runs out, and other country's still have stock left. Thats why i stated earlier that i can find German, UK, French, any version here in our small country.

tripredacus

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2018, 01:11:14 pm »
Yes of course. Perhaps the wording needs to be clarified. Not what country an item was released or sold in, but created for. For example, some SMS games were created for Australia and then later sold in Canada. Same thing where some games are created for France and sold in Canada unchanged... mainly in Quebec where it is possible to find French versions with ELSPA and PEGI ratings on them.

totallycrushed, we are well aware there are entries in the database with incorrect names. Those entries will be fixed at some point, but cover descriptions may not work in those instances, and may have to find some other notable difference in the packaging.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2018, 01:26:57 pm »
The bad news is, that this is not the worsed problem.

This is, https://vgcollect.com/item/149563

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 08:02:31 am »

tripredacus

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:22 am »

How exactly? Is it not this?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gameboy/569700-little-master-raikuban-no-densetsu/images/17936

Not enough fields filled in. And this is only 1out of alot of them.

Well I wouldn't say it is the worst. The worst is a variation of this but where you can't figure out what exactly the thing is supposed to be. Then again, I think that franken-entries are the real worst, especially if they are older ones that slipped under the radar and there are a large number in collections.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »

How exactly? Is it not this?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gameboy/569700-little-master-raikuban-no-densetsu/images/17936

Not enough fields filled in. And this is only 1out of alot of them.

Well I wouldn't say it is the worst. The worst is a variation of this but where you can't figure out what exactly the thing is supposed to be. Then again, I think that franken-entries are the real worst, especially if they are older ones that slipped under the radar and there are a large number in collections.

Yeah, but those franken entrys start life as what i posted.

tripredacus

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:55 am »
Then what is the idea, to enforce a minimum amount of information required to create an entry? Or set minimums for regular non-pro, non-admin users? What we have here is the opposite in regards to new entry requirements to say... discogs, which is a frustrating experience trying to add new entries that I had given up after only the second try. A change that you are talking about is beyond the scope of the style guide, and would involve changing the functionality of the site.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 12:39:36 pm »
There is no solution to this. The only one i could think of, is make it so that systems with games with barcode's you have to put in the barcode. But that is also tricky. I see some 'collector's' adding them just like that. Are you a collector, or investor? is what i am thinking.

The other part is the mods really have to check a item before approving a change. And how easy the sometimes deny things, that shouldnt be hard  ;D.

tripredacus

« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2018, 10:06:00 am »
Usually if someone is adding an item number or barcode to an entry that doesn't have one, they get accepted. Fortunately, the history tab can tell us the order in which information was added to the entry. We can determine the intent of the person who created the entry. The two major components are front art, item number and barcode. It is rare to find an instance where someone made an entry with a barcode and the wrong art. If an item is made with front art and no barcode, then the front art will be the deciding factor into what the entry is supposed to be. This is what causes general entries to be country specific ones when entries are created. If we find some entry where the information is all mixed up, then we can use the edit history to determine what should be on the entry, and change/remove the "add-ons" appropriately.

There is a way to fix it however, the solution you do not see. That is to send new item entries into an approval queue. It wouldn't fix items that are already in the database, but it would help against not only this issue happening in the future, but also dupes.

tripredacus

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:48 pm »
Updating, TLD arrangement discussion stalled here:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8361.msg158114.html#msg158114

Put up a common name exception poll here:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,9352.new.html

tripredacus

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 10:52:58 am »
In regards to the Commonly Accepted Names Exceptions
see here: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.msg157239.html#msg157239

Do we want to only apply these exceptions to physical items only?

Reasons for considering this change:
1. Online platforms often will use a title that is not represented (sometimes at all) by the artwork they have for that game.
2. Online platforms often change the artwork for the game, and the title on the artwork changes but not on the game's main page, such as games that change to remastered or bonus editions, extra content, etc.
3. The title of a game (or DLC) on an online platform is the defining thing, as opposed to what can be determined by looking at a physical item in-hand.

If this change would be allowed, it would flip title requirements for digital games, meaning that the title shown on the exception list would be required to be put into alt-name field, and the item title would match the one used by the online platform.

Let me know what you think about the name exception list only applying to physical items and not digital games.

jjfly

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2018, 03:54:41 pm »
The previous Formula 1 poll got me thinking should we also poll Pro Evolution Soccer/PES name formatting from 2008 forward? At 2008 and forward Konami changed the games logo so that it's spelled: "PES 2008 Pro Evolution Soccer" Example: https://vgcollect.com/item/53001 . This has led to much confusion of how entries should be titled.

Variations used on this site at the moment (ignore the year as tittle formatting is same on every release post 2008):
PES 2015
PES 2009: Pro Evolution Soccer
PES 2016 Pro Evolution Soccer
PES 2011 : Pro Evolution Soccer - Promo Only (Not for Resale)
Pro Evolution Soccer PES 2008 [UK] 
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010

As for internet consensus:
GameFaqs uses:    Pro Evolution Soccer 2017
MobyGames uses: PES 2008: Pro Evolution Soccer

Is there obvious way how these should be named and I can start making edits or should this be polled?

If so I would suggest that options in poll would be:

PES 2008
PES 2008: Pro Evolution Soccer
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

tripredacus

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 10:44:03 am »
If Mobygames always uses PES XXX: Pro Evolution Soccer as their naming convention, then we can use it. If they have some one way and some another way, then we can look at GameFAQs. If they also have some one way and some another, then we can use a poll.