Author Topic: SNES Classic  (Read 10728 times)

Re: SNES Classic
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 01:07:50 pm »
Anyone look into JPN or EU versions?
I already ordered the EU version from Amazon.co.uk.

No clue if it'll actually ship.

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:04 pm »
Anyone look into JPN or EU versions?

I've already preorder an European version since June 28 but all the French sites i know are now sold out and most of the shops only got around ten preorder available two weeks ago so in a day or two it was over... the only available offers are some scalpers already putting offer on a few sites for 150/200€ :( .

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 01:39:27 pm »
And the insanity continues.

I just don't understand why people would pay so freaking much for a console that is limited to a certain number of games when you can get the real deal that plays way more games for way less than what these scalpers are charging.

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »

I just don't understand why people would pay so freaking much for a console that is limited to a certain number of games when you can get the real deal that plays way more games for way less than what these scalpers are charging.
So... STORY TIEM!!!

My family knows I collect video games.  I don't think they understand that I have more dupes than I know what to do with and extra systems to boot.  My sister-in-law wanted to get an NES Classic for my brother, but she didn't attempt to contact me about it.  She gave up and bought him an NES.  I think she bought it from either a flea market or a game store, either way she probably paid more for the NES alone than an NES classic was running on ebay.  (That's how bad flea markets and game shops are around here)  My brother proceeded to ask if he could borrow some games... shut that shit down REAL quick, not happening.  I mentioned to them that a game store in a small town outside of the city has good prices and regularly does B2G1.  Eventually I snagged an NES Classic for them and sold it to them for cost.

Anybody not in the game collecting hobby probably doesn't understand how easy it is to get stuff for an okay price and quite frankly doesn't care.  They also have no interest in Pi boxes or emulators.

Mind you, these are the same folks who sell you games for next to nothing at yard sales, ask for $200 for a Wii because that's what they paid, throw away old systems because they don't need it, or donate it to Goodwill.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2017, 02:32:28 pm »
But we live in 2017. Ten years ago, that would be a totally understandable thing. But nowadays, it's not hard to type up "SNES" in eBay and see for yourself.

desocietas

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:15 pm »

So... STORY TIEM!!!

My family knows I collect video games.  I don't think they understand that I have more dupes than I know what to do with and extra systems to boot.  My sister-in-law wanted to get an NES Classic for my brother, but she didn't attempt to contact me about it.  She gave up and bought him an NES.  I think she bought it from either a flea market or a game store, either way she probably paid more for the NES alone than an NES classic was running on ebay.  (That's how bad flea markets and game shops are around here)  My brother proceeded to ask if he could borrow some games... shut that shit down REAL quick, not happening.  I mentioned to them that a game store in a small town outside of the city has good prices and regularly does B2G1.  Eventually I snagged an NES Classic for them and sold it to them for cost.

Anybody not in the game collecting hobby probably doesn't understand how easy it is to get stuff for an okay price and quite frankly doesn't care.  They also have no interest in Pi boxes or emulators.

Mind you, these are the same folks who sell you games for next to nothing at yard sales, ask for $200 for a Wii because that's what they paid, throw away old systems because they don't need it, or donate it to Goodwill.

Totally agree. At the end of the day, people don't want to deal with emulators or even A/V hookups only to find that the system just doesn't look that good on a HDTV. For the price of $80, it seems like a nice, simple plug-and-play system that they can enjoy for a short period of time with their kids or friends. And with the fact of it being "limited" and "hard to find," it just spurs the human need even more. If there were 40 of them sitting at Target all the time, most people would probably would just shrug or scoff at the price. But knowing that they could have something that no one else has, paying $200 to an eBayer doesn't seem too far-fetched. As much as we hate how Nintendo limits their production, it does fuel an irrational need.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2017, 03:48:03 pm »
But we live in 2017. Ten years ago, that would be a totally understandable thing. But nowadays, it's not hard to type up "SNES" in eBay and see for yourself.
A lot of people don't trust ebay or even using credit cards online (Amazon and such).

So people turn to craigslist and just pay whatever someone is asking.

Also, if you go searching on ebay for an NES the first listings that pop up are probably the sponsored ones that are WAY over priced.

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:31 pm »
Stupidity and being lazy run rampant through the general population.

desocietas

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
Well, I knew it was bound to happen:
Thank you for your interest in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Classic Edition. As you are aware, this is a highly sought after console that will launch later this fall.

Unfortunately, due to a technical glitch, the Super Nintendo Classic Edition was mistakenly made available last Friday evening ahead of the official release date. We, regrettably, will have to cancel this item on your order. We know that this is incredibly disappointing to you, and we’re truly sorry for this mistake.

In regards to the cancellation of this item, if you paid by credit card, your card has not been charged. Any authorization holds placed on your account will automatically expire in accordance with the card issuer's policy. If you paid through PayPal or with a gift card, your payment will be refunded when the order is cancelled.

The official launch date for this item is 9/29, please check the product page on Walmart.com prior to that date for any updates.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 03:48:41 pm »
Well, shoot.  Guess I'm gonna have to try again.

soera

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 04:05:57 pm »
I still have yet to get this email ... wonder if anyone is actually going to be safe from this.

Never mind, it was in my junk mail.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:07:55 pm by soera »

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »
Sounds like they are cancelling all orders to wait for it to be sold on release day.

Probably also at like 2am.

soera

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
I know Gamestop isnt going to do pre-orders either. Its going to be a nightmare for the people who are genuinely interested in this item.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
I wonder if Nintendo has anything to do with these cancellings, since they love to have shortages and all.

Make it look like a mob rush to get the stuff like at Christmas time. More fuel to add to the obsessed fire.

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2017, 05:56:37 pm »
Mine was cancelled too. I had to check the promotions part of my inbox (I use gmail) to find it.

At this point nobody is going to get one unless they are willing to camp outside Best Buy, Target or Gamestop at 2am or earlier and wait for them to open. My time is way more valuable than sitting in front of a retail store for 6 hours to get an $80 box with only 20 games on it. Unless Nintendo actually makes these more available than the NES classic (which they won't) I am just going to continue emulating or playing the real deal on my SNES.

I am a hair away at this point from no longer buying any new Nintendo products if they don't knock this artificial scarcity bullshit off. Many of the people who want their products the most can't get them, and mostly only Scalpers benefit from this distribution model. We will see what happens, but if I do not see one SNES classic on the shelves of store just like the NES classic, I'm done supporting Nintendo. I have never hated and liked a company so much at the same time; I love their products, but I hate the company that makes them.