Author Topic: Genres you just aren't into anymore  (Read 3792 times)

Re: Genres you just aren't into anymore
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 09:09:59 pm »
JRPG's - Use to play these a lot to try and make it to the cut scenes, which usually had the best graphics in the game. I don't have too much time to stay focused on a story mixed in with endless grinding these days.

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:00 pm »
currently I am pretty much sick of first person shooters, including all Doom games. Most of my entire life I have been playing FPS games. And now it comes to it. I am just sick of all of them except for "Unreal Tournament" and other arena based shooters. I still have not played my current copy of Turok Rage Wars
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

shfan

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:52 am »
Survival Horror: I'm with DOAFan with this, I love survival horror (that's what the SH in my tag stands for), but the genre was only had a limited number of games to start with and that's dwindled to nothing (RE7 excepted, perhaps the Revelations games to an extent). It doesn't help that the genre is splintered, what 'was' survival horror back in the day (basically anything that was a clone of Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Project Zero/Fatal Frame) has now been spread among those traditional types and first-person or side-scrolling games where you can't fight back or the odds are stacked against you. Now, those mechanics were fine in games like Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground, but in modern, bargain-basement releases from one or two man studios just aren't effective.

FPS: I was never a fan to start with, beyond the earliest FPS games on PC, but Call of Duty 3 got me back into them on the 360. However, I don't do multiplayer and I sure as hell am not interested in online multiplayer, so the game industry's decision to make modern FPS games these online-only things has effectively made them null.

Open World: More of a feature than a single genre, but whether it's Bethesda's RPGs, GTA or Far Cry, anything fitting into this category is of no interest to me. They can throw together a large in-game area, bolt on a skeleton of gameplay systems and assets, but they can't actually generate living, breathing worlds where interesting shit happens. Ultra-repetitive and barren, washed my hands of them.

Turn-based RPGs: Particularly Japanese ones, in my youth these were 'deep' and opened up a whole new gaming experience with a focus on characters on plot. At some point in my early 20s, these just became childish and repetitive (in terms of gameplay and character/setting). Just the sight of a pouting, spikey-haired muppet in pseudo bondage-gear muttering their way through legions of low-level identikit monsters makes me want to go and do something, anything else. YS VIII, an action RPG, recently showed me what an RPG can still do and how much pleasure they can bring, but it's a case of picking very carefully as the majority of them irritate me to the core.