Author Topic: Anyone going for a complete set?  (Read 8671 times)

sworddude

Re: Anyone going for a complete set?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 03:44:29 pm »
No, and I never will.

There are all types of collecting in this hobby and none of them are bad or wrong, but personally I have never seen the appeal of going for a full set for any game console due to the large amount of crap, shovelware, old sports games that every console has. The closest I have to a complete set is my Dreamcast collection which is currently about 2/3 of the overall US library. I'm not going to lie, there have been a few times where I though, "I'm so close, I might as well just get all the rest of the games. Besides, I have nearly all the really expensive and rare stuff already." But as soon as I find NBA2K for a buck or some other mediocre Disney title, I can never bring myself to purchase it.The thought of a bunch of garbage junking up my collection and sitting nexr to a game like Shenmue or Power Stone just doesn't sit right with me. This is true of every console I've ever collection for. I like to make sure my collection is all about quality at the end of the day, not that I have every game, the good and the bad, for a given console.

what about neo geo pocket small amount of games, pretty much no trash at all to be fair.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

rayne315

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 03:48:16 pm »
No, and I never will.

There are all types of collecting in this hobby and none of them are bad or wrong, but personally I have never seen the appeal of going for a full set for any game console due to the large amount of crap, shovelware, old sports games that every console has. The closest I have to a complete set is my Dreamcast collection which is currently about 2/3 of the overall US library. I'm not going to lie, there have been a few times where I though, "I'm so close, I might as well just get all the rest of the games. Besides, I have nearly all the really expensive and rare stuff already." But as soon as I find NBA2K for a buck or some other mediocre Disney title, I can never bring myself to purchase it.The thought of a bunch of garbage junking up my collection and sitting nexr to a game like Shenmue or Power Stone just doesn't sit right with me. This is true of every console I've ever collection for. I like to make sure my collection is all about quality at the end of the day, not that I have every game, the good and the bad, for a given console.

what about neo geo pocket small amount of games, pretty much no trash at all to be fair.

or you can go for a complete set of say puzzle games for system X, or all releases on any system released on a certain year.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:29 pm »
No, and I never will.

or you can go for a complete set of say puzzle games for system X, or all releases on any system released on a certain year.

Just saying since he said all the systems he collected for there were trash titles and allot of them

Neo geo pocket is pretty much no trash.

Than again not as fun as console games to be fair and ofcourse the price for neo geo pocket games thanks to the bad past sales wich make them supply pretty limited. Some of the better games complete go for quite allot, The games are fun but with the same amount of money you can get allot of the great desirable high end titles on other old systems wich in my opinion are allot better but that is expected.  It's a system to collect for if you have to much money to spend.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:37:12 pm by sworddude »

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »
Just saying since he said all the systems he collected for there were trash titles and allot of them

Its a harsh take, but NGP/C seems to be something that can be hard to get into if you had no prior experience or nostalgia for it. I was excited when I got the NGPC but I did not like playing the games. The lack of a back-lit screen was it for me, ruined by having such things on Game Gear and GBA for years. So I may joke that NGP sucks or is trash myself, but it is just I ended up not liking the experience of the system.

I am sure that scenario plays out for many people who get exited about the hype of a game or system, then go to try it out and are underwhelmed or don't like it.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 05:54:04 pm »
yes im going for a complete collection for most every system i collect for im closest on these.

n64/6
dreamcast/55
nes/85 including unofficial releases
gamecube/about 75
snes/140
Saturn /100
xbox360/about 80

im in no rush to complete any set its not a necessity.i do it for fun not out of need.

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 06:17:43 pm »

Its a harsh take, but NGP/C seems to be something that can be hard to get into if you had no prior experience or nostalgia for it. I was excited when I got the NGPC but I did not like playing the games. The lack of a back-lit screen was it for me, ruined by having such things on Game Gear and GBA for years. So I may joke that NGP sucks or is trash myself, but it is just I ended up not liking the experience of the system.

I am sure that scenario plays out for many people who get exited about the hype of a game or system, then go to try it out and are underwhelmed or don't like it.

The neo geo pocket is far better than the gameboy color and gameboy classic in terms of grapics, sound I'd say sometimes. The controls are also very smooth the best out of every handheld I'd say, no nostalgia for the system never had one in the past but I can see it is far better than pre gba handheld consoles. Backlit sure but you can create the perfect spots to play the games with clear image quality.

The GBA is pretty much a snes but inferior unfortunately especially noticably in arcade ports.

GBA up are way more fun then the pocket color in terms of handheld, I've already mentioned for the prices you have to pay for neo geo pocket you should be begging to buy a sunset riders at full price for the snes just to name an example.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:19:52 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:11 pm »
Complete set of games I wanna own. I dream of completing my collection, at least as far as all previous gens are concerned. Problem is there's no definitive list for that. I go through and trim down the want-list a lot, and then I realize a bunch of others that I'm interested in.

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:37 am »
No, and I never will.

I wasn't thinking of that system when I made that statement, but I guess I should also say that there are certain games, while appealing to some people and objectively good or at least decent, that I have no interest in. I guess you can say this about old sports games since for sports games many of them like Madden or Fifa are good games for what they are trying to do. That said, I own a decent chunk of the NGP NTSC-US library (found them at a second hand store years ago for super cheap and couldn't pass them up despite not ever owning the actual system), but it has never been a system I've really been that into. It seems like something that would have been cool to own when they first came out, but today I can't imagine owning one unless you are a total NEOGEO-phile, have nostalgia for the NGP, or are just really into retro handheld games.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 07:06:37 am »
>arcade system set completion

what a bad thought to think about

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:34 am »
No, and I never will.

I wasn't thinking of that system when I made that statement, but I guess I should also say that there are certain games, while appealing to some people and objectively good or at least decent, that I have no interest in. I guess you can say this about old sports games since for sports games many of them like Madden or Fifa are good games for what they are trying to do. That said, I own a decent chunk of the NGP NTSC-US library (found them at a second hand store years ago for super cheap and couldn't pass them up despite not ever owning the actual system), but it has never been a system I've really been that into. It seems like something that would have been cool to own when they first came out, but today I can't imagine owning one unless you are a total NEOGEO-phile, have nostalgia for the NGP, or are just really into retro handheld games.

if your into gameboy classic or gameboy color games, your definitly going to love the pocket color.

The games have better controls superior grapics and sound pretty equal. Excellent 2d fighting games on this system and some other genre's

Between 8 bit and 16 bit handheld games If you would like to have my opinion.

kashell

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 08:29:28 am »
This is something I thought about for a while. On the one hand, it'd be neat to see every game from a certain console lined up next to one another. There would be so much history and I would never have to worry about running out of stuff to play. On the other hand, there would be a good chunk of games that I would rather not have taking up space. Sports titles, racing titles, puzzlers, generic action games, etc.

If I were to go for a complete set, it would be for the Saturn. I have "high end" items taken care of, so it wouldn't be as daunting. But, again, sports titles? Pinball titles? Blah...

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 01:16:44 pm »
I have found it hard to go for complete sets. It takes up too much space. I have taken a different approach. I like to have roughly 1 of each console, then I go for sets of titles. Right now I am working on getting all the zelda games (including crossbow hunter). This way I get the satisfaction of completing a set without getting loaded down with games I will NEVER play.

I am also working on getting complete sets of:

Mortal Kombat
Starwars
Streetfighter

rayne315

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:43 pm »
Right now I am working on getting all the zelda games (including Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon). This way I get the satisfaction of completing a set without getting loaded down with games I will NEVER play.

My condolences brave warrior.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 06:14:46 pm »
Right now I am working on getting all the zelda games (including Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon). This way I get the satisfaction of completing a set without getting loaded down with games I will NEVER play.

My condolences brave warrior.

Zelda's adventure is pretty good though, I'm a veteran having played through all 3 of them lovely zelda cdi titles ::)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 06:23:01 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »
I'm going for a full set of amiibo figures.