Author Topic: Is Gamer Culture Too Toxic?  (Read 4570 times)

dreama1

Re: Is Gamer Culture Too Toxic?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:46 pm »
I don't see the big deal. Why do they take notice? They're selling a product, people have a right to speak freely if it's harsh or not as feedback. (That said you can't please everyone and you will always have "that guy".)

They should just get on with it and make the product and stop the melodrama. And the really extreme ones; these guys don't leave the basement, let alone walk more than 5 minutes without running out of breath. So I think Hitman at conservative guess, would be unlikely in their case.

I don't have any hard facts, but I'd theorise at a total guess, people are complaining more about games these days because it's hard to be original, most people have already experienced the drug and ain't getting their kick as much anymore as it was in the past. The bar has been set to high and it's climbing, and they're clamouring around the developers like zombies for something "fresh".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:57:58 pm by dreama1 »

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »

I don't see the big deal. Why do they take notice? They're selling a product, people have a right to speak freely if it's harsh or not as feedback. (That said you can't please everyone and you will always have "that guy".)

They should just get on with it and make the product and stop the melodrama. And the really extreme ones; these guys don't leave the basement, let alone walk more than 5 minutes without running out of breath. So I think Hitman at conservative guess, would be unlikely in their case.

I don't have any hard facts, but I'd theorise at a total guess, people are complaining more about games these days because it's hard to be original, most people have already experienced the drug and ain't getting their kick as much anymore as it was in the past. The bar has been set to high and it's climbing, and they're clamouring around the developers like zombies for something "fresh".

gibgirl

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »
Ok, I can't let this slide. You can't seriously buy into this moral panic 'gamers are white supremacist sexist!' crap.

I'm probably going to regret even replying to this, but I will anyway.

I'm not making any blanket statement about all gamers being racist, sexist, white supremacist, or whatever. It's a large and diverse community. And any large community and subculture is going to have problematic elements to it. You can't define a community by the extremes.

But you CAN make conclusions based on the scale and severity of problematic issues, on what the community in general is willing to tolerate, and what it doesn't. And the event in question, while it still encompassed a minority of the gaming community, was still quite large in scale - and was triggered by things that represent bigger issues underneath.

For the record, no, I didn't learn about it from reading a Kotaku article, but by being present for the whole thing. That includes multiple times watching my Twitter replies get flooded for hours by and endless stream for simply including a single word in a tweet. And from watching friends of mine undergo much worse than that - such as lies being deliberately spread far and wide, having employers contacted, or ridiculous conspiracy theories about who was secretly paying them. (As far as the comment about drawing a line from the gaming community event in question through to the rise of white supremacy, I will simply mention that there's a key individual that was recently featured in an in-depth Buzzfeed article. And yes, in-depth Buzzfeed articles does seem to be an oxymoron, but there it is.)

Games, like any form of media, can not only tolerate criticism and critique, but deserve such things, as it makes them better. That critique can address the whole gamut, from technical issues, business practices, or quality concerns, to analysis of the stories being told and the characters represented in them. To try and claim such critiques are inappropriate - or even worse, to harass and threaten those who make them because of disagreement with the critiques - is a level of toxicity that undermines the entire community and form of media. Critique is not censorship. And it is up to game developers and publishers to determine how they wish to take such critiques.

I feel the gaming community is still a community very much divided - which is probably appropriate, given the political state of the US now, and many areas of the world. I hope someday things can change, and concerns can be listened to and respected. That maybe we can reach a point where all of us can enjoy games together.

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:27:38 pm »
I have to agree with those who often say - to each their own. If someone wants to criticize a developer's story telling, or their creative vision for seeming uni-dimensional, or "problematic", that's fine. But, I don't think anyone is under the obligation to compromise their own creative freedom in making their own product, just to appease a segment of critics, especially critics who reject the game based on a certain brand of politics. Anyone who actively wants to make the kind of games that would appease said critics, should be responsible for making that happen. Not the folks who are off doing their own thing, making products of their own creation that many people subsequently enjoy and are probably attached to at some point.

I've long ago suspected nepotism, bias, and outright fraud behind much of video games journalism, and at this point couldn't give a rat's behind what they think about any game. I don't need someone who's paid to think for me, because opinions about video games are just opinions.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:57:23 pm by Warmsignal »

kashell

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 07:58:12 am »
Gaming culture would be less toxic without 99% of the Internet, """"""professional"""""" game """""journalists""""", and feelings of privilege.

There will always be a few assholes who try to ruin the culture for anyone and everyone. As a gamer, you need to have the foresight to avoid them. And, if you make contact with them, then do an about-face and ignore them. Granted, there are times when it's fun to troll the trolls. e.e

Seriously, though. I love gaming too much to let the toxicity (of the ciiiiity) get to me.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:49 am »
I have no issue with folks voicing their disdain for delays, poor game design, and even their own personal/political issues with games... but the thing that makes it toxic is that these people feel that an injustice is happening and that it is up to them to seek justice.  They harass these people online and in person, find and release private information, contact employers, etc.

I have no issue with someone saying "[Game title] is [some offense] and I will not buy it, because blah blah blah".  I have an issue with "[Game title] is [some offense], and if you release it, we will terrorize you until you back down".  Same goes to the people who just immediately respond to any statement as "I will hope you die", "get raped", or whatever horrible things these folks say.

And "games journalism" doesn't help either.  Every article's headline is essentially click bait, meant to twist the words of whomever they are quoting.  "Games journalism" is the epitome of everything wrong with modern journalism.  Half the time when I hear about some "outrage" about something in games, I can't actually find the original outrage, all I can actually find is an originating article, with no true source, making up the outrage.  And most of the responses to this outrage are just people arguing about the article, nothing in specific, or everyone being outraged by the "outrage".

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 11:41:11 am »
Some replies are saying that people have a right to complain, that's completely true. But complaining and personally attacking people and making threats is not the same as complaining.

People saying that a game is unidimensional or a repeat of ideas already used ad naseum is a complaint, I completely agree that's okay. It's when people completely rage out over a game and start getting scary angry, that seems bad. Some people are TOO attached to their gaming.

Warmsignal

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 12:05:27 pm »
Some replies are saying that people have a right to complain, that's completely true. But complaining and personally attacking people and making threats is not the same as complaining.

People saying that a game is unidimensional or a repeat of ideas already used ad naseum is a complaint, I completely agree that's okay. It's when people completely rage out over a game and start getting scary angry, that seems bad. Some people are TOO attached to their gaming.

I can agree with that. In several cases, it seems to have gone something like.... reviewer says something over-the-top about said game, makes blanket assumption/generalization designed to make fans of said game feel like crap. Overly sensitives fans of the game respond with name-calling, threats of violence and smear campaigns. Critics feel their views of target audience are confirmed, launches blanket smear campaign against gamers - Takes it all the way to the UN.

Something like that.

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
Nah, most communities are just as toxic. People just like to point out video games because it's relatively new and the competitive nature helps to highlight the toxicity. Hobbies I've experienced toxicity in:
Writing/authoring
Doll collecting
Cosplay
Anime
Tabletop games
Art
Music
I think you get the idea. There are some terrible people in every hobby. Just ignore them and move on.

dreama1

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »
Nah, most communities are just as toxic. People just like to point out video games because it's relatively new and the competitive nature helps to highlight the toxicity. Hobbies I've experienced toxicity in:
Writing/authoring
Doll collecting
Cosplay
Anime
Tabletop games
Art
Music
I think you get the idea. There are some terrible people in every hobby. Just ignore them and move on.
Pretty much sums it up.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 05:54:56 pm »
There are bad apples in every online community, sure, I touched on that in my initial post. But with gaming communities (Vgcollect  not included), it seems snarky, a-holish behavior is the norm and even encouraged. The fact that Vgcollect isn't like that makes this a great community.

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 06:18:54 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:19:42 pm by jce3000gt »

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 06:43:01 pm »
The fact that Vgcollect isn't like that makes this a great community.

Hear hear!  This positive environment needs to be protected from all the BS that plagues everything else.  Unfortunately as long as political and religious topics are allowed to be discussed this will lead the opposite direction and end up like NintendoAge or worse.  Toxicity is a direct result of these aforementioned subjects among a few others.  I like it here and I really don't want to see this turn out like the others...  I don't need that in my life.

This is probably the most harmonious large forum I've ever belonged to. Kudos to the site admins for keeping this an oasis among many flaming troll dens.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 10:04:53 am »
Online Game are in the toxic zone. but single player games, I don't really know so. It is better to rage at a computer then an actual person. People simply don't care online, they can say just about anything and before the person can get banned, it's too late the hurt or anger probably 9/10 has been done. I've even seen footage of top paid video game champions curse at the losing aspect of some kind of prize tournament. I pretty sure we all seen or at least heard some kid screaming at another more experienced or cheating player on YouTube or not. I have

Like the 1 admin said games are for enjoyment. In fact I never hooked some microphone and headset online I never will because I am already a paranoid person, But occasionally I laugh like this one time, On an online doom PC game I typed in "We killed the cow, lets eat" I was referring to the dead demon and the darn game  was coop anyway and someone said FU fully spelled, I mean come on
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:42 am »
The fact that Vgcollect isn't like that makes this a great community.

Hear hear!  This positive environment needs to be protected from all the BS that plagues everything else.  Unfortunately as long as political and religious topics are allowed to be discussed this will lead the opposite direction and end up like NintendoAge or worse.  Toxicity is a direct result of these aforementioned subjects among a few others.  I like it here and I really don't want to see this turn out like the others...  I don't need that in my life.

This is probably the most harmonious large forum I've ever belonged to. Kudos to the site admins for keeping this an oasis among many flaming troll dens.

I second and third this statement I am glad to be in a safe controlled community
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:12:44 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"