Author Topic: Your Top 10 Consoles of All-Time  (Read 4406 times)

telekill

Re: Your Top 10 Consoles of All-Time
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 10:36:41 pm »
@bikingjahuty -- Well said and I'm in the exact same boat. For me though, it's not just Sony but the entire industry letting me down. Games just aren't as fun as they used to be.  Unless PS5 specifically turns a leaf back to what Playstation used to be, the PS5 will be the last I stay up to date with modern gaming.

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2023, 05:10:39 pm »
I think the best thing about the PS5 is that it is the best PS4 on the market.  It has the added benefit of being able to play PS5 games.

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2023, 10:47:32 pm »

You'll notice PS5 isn't on the list. It's still too new to have earned its spot. It's literally taken from launch in Nov 2020 to Oct 2022 before I played a PS5 gen only title that actually interested me. Sony has a lot to prove to get PS5 on my list because if it wasn't PS4 backwards compatible, it would have been collecting a lot of dust.

So far the PS5 has been the most disappointing Sony console for me by a fair amount. Two years into virtually every single other Sony console's life I was head over heals in love with many of the games that had already come out, and on the hype train for a bunch more that were around the corner. I had so much enthusiasm and love for the PS1-PS4 that it was hard to imagine any of them not being one of the best consoles I'd ever played. However with the exception of Gran Turismo 7 and to a lesser extent The King of Fighter XV, my PS5 has mostly felt like a colossal waste of money. The add in I've already had to get my PS5 repaired once (disc drive took a shit just one year after buying it) and one of the games that made me feel better about owning one, GT7, requires an internet connection to enjoy 95% of the single player game, and has some of the most ridiculously expensive in game items I've ever seen in a game. Of course you can get around that if you pay real money for a ton of in game credits....

While I'd be surprised if I still feel like I regret buying a PS5 several years from now, it's been something I wish I'd just held off on for the most part. And the worst part it, the PS5 will likely be the last Sony console I ever buy new since I'm 98% sure the PS6 with be a diskless, all digital, always online all the time glorified gaming PC with a few exclusives. If I'm right, I'm done with Sony and any other company that follows suit. The modern gaming industry has already taken away so much from its customers, and continues to Stockholm gamers into accepting bullshit like pay to win, microtransactions, day one DLC, broken games at launch, Drm, all sorts of other crap that a digital only console is the hill I finally say enough is enough and walk away from modern gaming.

I recently got a PS5 and don't see what the complaining is about. Especially when you consider everything that has been cross-gen because Sony pretty much had to for risk of excluding the majority of their base who couldn't or wouldn't buy a PS5 until it was truly available at retail. I already have a game collection nearly 40 titles deep, and between the various triple-a games and the smaller indies, there's plenty to play right now and a steady flow coming this first quarter. The first of which that I have my eye on being Forespoken, coming this month. In my mind, the justification for the new hardware doesn't need to necessarily be first party current gen exclusive games. I'm just thankful us console gamers are finally getting the decent frame rates that PC gamers have enjoyed for the past decade or more. Feels good.

I have a decent sized PS5 library myself, but the thing is I could have enjoyed most of those games on the PS4 too with sllghtly compromised to visuals, framerate, and whatnot. The updated visuals are welcome, but they are not nearly enough to justify the purchase of a brand new console. I built a new gaming PC a year ago so I could play modern games that my old PC would not be able to run. Likewise I bought a PS5 to experience new, exclusive next gen games that I couldn't play on PS4, and that look and play 80-90% the same on. I have faith that someday I won't feel the same way I do about the PS5 like I currently do, but my point is that I've never felt this disenchanted with a new Sony console this far into the generation. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only two games I'm actually hyped for on the PS5 are Jedi Survivor, Tekken 8 and Armored Core 6. I will likely buy some other games for it too until those come out, but it jus kind of bums me out.

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2023, 10:51:32 pm »
@bikingjahuty -- Well said and I'm in the exact same boat. For me though, it's not just Sony but the entire industry letting me down. Games just aren't as fun as they used to be.  Unless PS5 specifically turns a leaf back to what Playstation used to be, the PS5 will be the last I stay up to date with modern gaming.

I still enjoy a lot of modern games, but all the BS that goes on now diminishes my enjoyment of it no matter how good the game is or becomes after months of patching, updates, and DLC. I'm not too far off from waiting years after a game comes out to where it has all the content available and included, and it's been heavily discounted. At this point I don't think it would be considered a modern game, but rather a very cheap digital game I'd feel comfortable buying. This is similar to how I justify buying games off GOG or Steam; I pretty much only buy games that are 10+ years old and are less than $10 for the most part.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 10:47:48 am »
My top 10 consoles…
Wow, I really had to put some thought into this.

1) SNES
The amount of quality games for this console is truly amazing. 3 of my all-time favorites are SNES originals (Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI).

2) PS2
This thing blew me away right off the bat with Tekken Tag Tournament and SSX Tricky. Then there was Final Fantasy X & XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, the God of War series, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, Katamari Damacy…

3) PS3
I had an XBOX 360 first so I played many of the era’s multiplatform classics on there, but technical issues and lack of wireless connectivity forced me to buy a PS3 instead. This is the first console I bought downloadable games for and I still play it from time to time.

4) PS1
Castlevania SotN, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7-9, the Resident Evil series, plus it was the first console where I could play true emulated arcade classics.

5) PS4
May climb higher in the future, but ATM many games I have on this are remakes, remasters, or collections of older games. The fact that all that content is available just on PS4 is why it’s already so high. Plus great stuff like the Horizon series, Blasphemous, Bloodstained, Streets of Rage 4, and Dragon Quest XI (which to me became an instant classic).

6) NES
Can’t understate its significance in my gaming life, though some of the games just don’t hold up nowadays.

7) Genesis
4 series make this console for me: Streets of Rage, Sonic, Golden Axe, and Shinobi.

8 ) Saturn
Wouldn’t be on the list at all if it wasn’t for how it helped me discover the world of import games. Arcade-perfect conversions of X-Men vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes vs SF, Vampire Savior, and King of Fighters were mind-blowing.

9) XBOX
I didn’t have many games for it, but what I had was great. Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and Morrowind. Plus I enjoyed Tron 2.0 though it is far from a great game.

10) Game Boy Advance
IMO best portable console ever. Large volume of software and many great games.

Interesting how no non-portable Nintendo consoles released after the SNES made the list.
I never really liked the N64 much (I understand what Nintendo was trying to do, but zero load times did not make up for ugly muddy graphics, inferior sound, a weird controller, and ridiculously expensive cartridges).
The GameCube was basically Metroid Prime and not much else noteworthy.
The Wii is the only console I’ve ever just flat-out sold along with all games.
The Switch is alright, but it’s my kids’ console so I don’t play it much.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:57:24 am by undertakerprime »

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 11:09:40 am »
1. gamecube
2. Wii
3. Sega Genesis/megadrive
4. ps1
5. snes
6. Ps2
7. DS
8. GBA
9. Switch
10. Dreamcast
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2023, 01:27:50 pm »

You'll notice PS5 isn't on the list. It's still too new to have earned its spot. It's literally taken from launch in Nov 2020 to Oct 2022 before I played a PS5 gen only title that actually interested me. Sony has a lot to prove to get PS5 on my list because if it wasn't PS4 backwards compatible, it would have been collecting a lot of dust.

So far the PS5 has been the most disappointing Sony console for me by a fair amount. Two years into virtually every single other Sony console's life I was head over heals in love with many of the games that had already come out, and on the hype train for a bunch more that were around the corner. I had so much enthusiasm and love for the PS1-PS4 that it was hard to imagine any of them not being one of the best consoles I'd ever played. However with the exception of Gran Turismo 7 and to a lesser extent The King of Fighter XV, my PS5 has mostly felt like a colossal waste of money. The add in I've already had to get my PS5 repaired once (disc drive took a shit just one year after buying it) and one of the games that made me feel better about owning one, GT7, requires an internet connection to enjoy 95% of the single player game, and has some of the most ridiculously expensive in game items I've ever seen in a game. Of course you can get around that if you pay real money for a ton of in game credits....

While I'd be surprised if I still feel like I regret buying a PS5 several years from now, it's been something I wish I'd just held off on for the most part. And the worst part it, the PS5 will likely be the last Sony console I ever buy new since I'm 98% sure the PS6 with be a diskless, all digital, always online all the time glorified gaming PC with a few exclusives. If I'm right, I'm done with Sony and any other company that follows suit. The modern gaming industry has already taken away so much from its customers, and continues to Stockholm gamers into accepting bullshit like pay to win, microtransactions, day one DLC, broken games at launch, Drm, all sorts of other crap that a digital only console is the hill I finally say enough is enough and walk away from modern gaming.

I recently got a PS5 and don't see what the complaining is about. Especially when you consider everything that has been cross-gen because Sony pretty much had to for risk of excluding the majority of their base who couldn't or wouldn't buy a PS5 until it was truly available at retail. I already have a game collection nearly 40 titles deep, and between the various triple-a games and the smaller indies, there's plenty to play right now and a steady flow coming this first quarter. The first of which that I have my eye on being Forespoken, coming this month. In my mind, the justification for the new hardware doesn't need to necessarily be first party current gen exclusive games. I'm just thankful us console gamers are finally getting the decent frame rates that PC gamers have enjoyed for the past decade or more. Feels good.

I have a decent sized PS5 library myself, but the thing is I could have enjoyed most of those games on the PS4 too with sllghtly compromised to visuals, framerate, and whatnot. The updated visuals are welcome, but they are not nearly enough to justify the purchase of a brand new console. I built a new gaming PC a year ago so I could play modern games that my old PC would not be able to run. Likewise I bought a PS5 to experience new, exclusive next gen games that I couldn't play on PS4, and that look and play 80-90% the same on. I have faith that someday I won't feel the same way I do about the PS5 like I currently do, but my point is that I've never felt this disenchanted with a new Sony console this far into the generation. Unless I'm forgetting something, the only two games I'm actually hyped for on the PS5 are Jedi Survivor, Tekken 8 and Armored Core 6. I will likely buy some other games for it too until those come out, but it jus kind of bums me out.

If you own a good high-end gaming PC setup, then naturally the technical specs of new consoles won't mean that much to you. You're better off buying most every new third party game for your PC. Whether it's Sony, Nintendo or Mircrosoft, buying a game console just for those exclusive games is more than ever a diminishing return these days. Xbox basically has none, Sony is letting their exclusives titles go to PC more often, and Nintendo rarely puts out anything new anymore. Which is why a lot of PC gamers are content to stick strictly to their PCs. I came to the realization a while back that buying a console just for a handful of exclusives isn't worthwhile... better to make the most of every console that you own if you're gonna buy one.

Personally I see a big difference in PS5 vs older platforms. For example games that are truly built for next gen, Dirt 5 looks amazing on PS5 and makes me weep for having bought it for my Xbox One. It feels like a totally different experience, there's so much more detail and fluidity. There are quite a few games I own that I'd consider re-buying on PS5 at this point, and I can even see myself welcoming "remasters" a lot more than I did previous gen. For me the PS5 represents what the PS4/XB1 should have been. I felt those consoles were seriously underwhelming from a technical perspective when they launched. The PS5 feels much closer to the PC game experience. Since I don't game on PC, the PS5 is a smorgasbord of quality gaming experiences, regardless of publisher, and is probably going to be my go-to platform for years to come.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:29:23 pm by Warmsignal »

Warmsignal

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2023, 01:28:39 pm »
I'd say my top 10 remains the same, for now.

soera

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2023, 05:19:09 pm »
I expect that now that the shortage of PS5s is over, there will be a lot of games that start excluding the 4 and are only new gen. I think I already have seen a few including one of the DLC things for the Horizon.

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 10:04:15 pm »
  1. SNES
  2. PS1
  3. PS2
  4. GameCube
  5. PSP
  6. DS
  7. PS3
  8. XBOX 360
  9. PS4
10. 3DS

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2023, 12:21:59 am »

This ^

By 3 years into PS4 we had best of the franchise entrees into Infamous, Uncharted 4, and Little Big Planet, a solid swing for the fences Kojima game, a solid repetoir of RPGs and not to mention tremendous visual fidelity upgrades over PS3. It felt like you did something, it felt proud. Almost patriotic to a hypothetical sony nation. Then within a few years later we got hit with Spiderman, MLB, Horizon, new franchises that just put a leg up.

For 2 out of the 3 years PS5 has been out (give or take) they have been unobtainanium alienating like 50 percent of it's consumer base. The remainder we have seen two games in GT7 and Miles Morales that are literally available on PS4 at equal quality to the average consumer and GTA V which is not only a decade old but on PS4. COD? On PS4. Ratchet and Clank holding off Switch Behemoths is why Xbox and Sony are being outsold by Switch combined. It's not just the stocking issue.

I agree with Biking. I feel as gamers we try to love the new thing. Buyers remorse makes us see gold in the hey. But PS5 and XSX are disappointing PC boxes and have almost little outside of Indie AA games and odd niche exclusives to even warrant 299 let alone 500.