Author Topic: What Is The Highest Amount You Usually Spend On A Used Video Game  (Read 4099 times)

tripredacus

Re: What Is The Highest Amount You Usually Spend On A Used Video Game
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 09:23:06 am »
Typically I would say $10. Of course now I am getting past the point of the cheap Genesis games and I'll have to start spending more if I want to keep this project going.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:44:03 am »
It really depends on what I'm after. For new systems ('new' in this case meaning 'readily available at any Gamestop'), probably right around that $20-30 range. Once in awhile I'll spend more if it's a title I don't expect to see a price drop on for awhile- for example, I used a coupon to get Mario+Rabbids for $35 just a couple weeks ago.

For older systems, the what & where factor in heavily- I'll balk at a yard sale price that I'd gladly pay at a reputable local game store, for example. I'll go a little higher for a specific church rummage sale held every summer, just becuase they gave me my money back when I foolishly didn't check a case & discovered after leaving there was no disc.  It was a good hour or more later when I came back, they had no reason to believe me- but they did, and that counts for something.

Ebay is where the highest prices end up, just becuase that's where I typically have to turn for the really obscure/rare/expensive stuff when I'm willing to pony up for something. Right now the record holder is $320 for a complete Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn- but that's a real outlier. I'd wanted a Saturn since I was 13, and that was one of the original games I'd wanted for it. I was selling off some unwanted old DVDs, found out a few were valuable, and flipped the money into the game. Typically, if it goes for over $50 on Ebay, I'm not likely to get it in any real hurry.

thewelshman

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 11:23:23 am »
I try and stay under the $20 mark for PS4 and newer PS Vita games. I primarily play on my Vita at this time, so most games drop fairly quickly. I think the last used game I paid more than $40 for was Final Fantasy III (6) on SNES. I foolishly sold my copy years ago and needed it back in my collection.

When it comes to RPGs, I generally take the idea that if I get an hour for every $1 I spent, then it was a good buy. Most RPGs are going to give me 60-100 hours of gameplay.

ferraroso

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 11:35:15 am »
So far, the most expensive used game I've ever bought was The King of Fighters '96 for the Neo Geo AES that I got for ¥7.800 (around US$70.00). However, I do have plans to spend ¥15.000 (US$135.00) on a CIB KoF '98 for the same system in the near future.
After reaching the mark of 1.000 games, it is getting more and more difficult to get the games that I want for good prices...

kypherion

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 11:39:39 am »
Depends on the game, and condition obviously, but around 50 depending on the game (Like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure). 40-50 bucks pretty much.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »
$20

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 01:22:50 pm »
So far, the most expensive used game I've ever bought was The King of Fighters '96 for the Neo Geo AES that I got for ¥7.800 (around US$70.00). However, I do have plans to spend ¥15.000 (US$135.00) on a CIB KoF '98 for the same system in the near future.
After reaching the mark of 1.000 games, it is getting more and more difficult to get the games that I want for good prices...

I hear that- I'm approaching 900 myself, and the amount of games under $50 that I want is becoming dangerously low. I think that's part of the reason I occasionally pick up new system I may not be the most excited for, becuase I get to have the thrill of picking up cheap games again. That's just the nature of collecting, though- sooner or later you've got all the common stuff.

The flipside of it is, I can slow down my pickups to one or two pricier things instead of a bunch of cheap stuff if I so choose- it doesn't affect my actual playtime. I've got more than enough stuff to not buy a new title for months- maybe years- and still have new-to-me things to play. Which is nice, y'know? Less frantic acquiring and more relaxed using.

doafan

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
At USA it's around the 20 to 25 bucks at Mexico around the 400 - 500 pesos but most of the times I manage to get it for 400 pesos with free shipping next day, gotta love Mercado Libre sometimes  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:04 pm »
Depends on the game. If its something I really want I'll go higher. I've spent about 60 to 70 on a few games before. I've also spent over 300 on hardware however.  Other than a few exceptions, I don't go higher than 30 on most things. About a two years ago I nabbed a Conker for 40. At the time it had spiked to 80 so it was a decent deal I thought.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 11:32:32 pm »
$30. But once in a while I'll go up to $50-$60 if it's something I just have to have.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 11:24:27 am »
Under 20$ is my sweet spot but if im buying somthing valuable ill go higher i think the most i ever spent on a used game was around 190$ for snes or nes games like zombie nation,mega man X3,pocky & rocky 2 but its not very often i go for stuff that high in price.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 01:26:02 pm »
I think this is a really interesting topic. I don't know who has a problem with this thread, but if you have a problem with it just don't reply. Having said that, I think that most people have similar thoughts to buying games. You have your standard price range, and will go higher for the stuff you REALLY want. I am a fan of the $20 and under range, but I am looking to add Chrono Trigger and Earthbound to my collection so I am going to go higher to get those. Fortunately, I am more interested in functionality than aesthetics or resale value. As long as the cartridge isn't beat to shreds, or has no label and works, I will buy it.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 01:56:01 pm »
I try to only buy complete, like new games. If I can find them in this condition, I'm perfectly fine with paying the original MSRP.

There are plenty of games out there that sell well below the original price. If I come across a game that's been taken care of all those years, under the original price...it seems like I'm getting a bargain.

I remember saving up all my cash from weekly chores for a $70 TG16 or SNES game. When I can find one of those now for the same price, it's a steal!! That's just me though.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 08:22:44 pm »
swap meet $15-20 max unless it's CIB then maybe $55

most expensive game I've ever bought would have to be Steel Battalion (new when it first came out) $360.00 shipped.  still have it too

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 08:40:38 pm »
Normally i like to stick to under $15... but every once and a while I'll go over. I payed $80 for Xenoblade Chronicles before it got a reprint and then I picked up Symphony of the Night for $50. I dont ever see my self spending over $100 on a game though.