Author Topic: After seeing this gen, are you interested in PS5 and XB2?  (Read 2570 times)

After seeing this gen, are you interested in PS5 and XB2?
« on: June 04, 2018, 04:41:45 am »
Are you interested in the next generation after seeing how this one played out?

Personally I think I can resist. I have a PS4, XB1 and capable gaming PC. I mostly play on PC, it has free online multiplayer, most of the games and I can easily listen to music or a podcast in the background.

I wasn’t blown away by console exclusives this gen, despite the many offerings of Sony.

My tastes in modern games are usually catered to by third parties like Bethesda and Bioware, I like RPGs and Sony and MS don’t really fund those.

I was super into games a few years back and bought both systems at launch to experience everything and have all the announcements at E3s be for me etc.

Now there’s only a select few games on each that still appeal to me. I’m not a big multiplayer guy and I don’t like linear games because they’re over in a weekend with no replay value. When you rule out multiplayer focused and linear single player there isn’t a ton left.

I like my Switch a lot right now.

I like games that have branching paths, skill trees, custom characters, non-linearity, open areas, exploration (Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, Fallout)  - or - games with unlimited replayable fun core gameplay with no story to see once and be done with (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Injustice 2).

Re: After seeing this gen, are you interested in PS5 and XB2?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:14:55 am »
Certainly interested in a PS5.  Sony has pumped out more than enough reasons to justify a PS4, while Microsoft has utterly failed with the Xbox One.  They screwed things up with their E3 reveal and never were able to recover and I don't know how they turn it around.  Something Sony will always have as an advantage, is the Japanese market.  Japan don't give a crap about the Xbox, so there's a lot of stuff it will never get. 

Microsoft hasn't justified the Xbox One, so I see no reason to be interested in whatever they have next.  Right now, the Switch covers all the Nintendo properties while having portability as a bonus, Sony has all the great exclusives, and PC covers all my shooters and everything else.  Even Microsoft doesn't truly support the Xbox One anymore as they are releasing most games on PC now.  Sunset Overdrive is seemingly getting a PC port, and if Rare Replay gets a PC port, that's it.  They got nothing for me on the Xbox.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 06:30:44 am »
I just got my ps4 a little over a year ago so this gen is still kinda new to me. That and the fact that the ps4 pro and xbox one x are still fairly new and were released with mostly current market tech, I wonder what new things a new console could even offer that the current ones don't already satisfy.

The switch kinda bores me a little right now. There hasn't been many big releases that aren't first-party, ports, or multi-platform releases. I DO like the switch but I think it still isn't being taken seriously enough for that. Ill be happy with just getting a new metroid and bayonetta though.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:41:08 am »
Certainly interested in a PS5.  Sony has pumped out more than enough reasons to justify a PS4, while Microsoft has utterly failed with the Xbox One.  They screwed things up with their E3 reveal and never were able to recover and I don't know how they turn it around.  Something Sony will always have as an advantage, is the Japanese market.  Japan don't give a crap about the Xbox, so there's a lot of stuff it will never get. 

Microsoft hasn't justified the Xbox One, so I see no reason to be interested in whatever they have next.  Right now, the Switch covers all the Nintendo properties while having portability as a bonus, Sony has all the great exclusives, and PC covers all my shooters and everything else.  Even Microsoft doesn't truly support the Xbox One anymore as they are releasing most games on PC now.  Sunset Overdrive is seemingly getting a PC port, and if Rare Replay gets a PC port, that's it.  They got nothing for me on the Xbox.
I agree the exclusives aren't numerous or wonderful on xbox but in other respects I've preferred the xbox, the controller is more comfortable, the controller battery lasts longer for wireless play, for a long time at the beginning of the generation only xbox had external hard drive support and both systems launched with only 500GB much of which taken by system software and games were 50GB each so this was a huge deal to me. Playing Forza Motorsport 5 on day one was ecstasy too, it was like the best track racer ever at the time. All said and done PS4 definitely had more support both first and third party and a higher calibre of exclusive games but xbox has a lot of quality of life stuff I enjoyed and they include stuff like 4K blu ray players in their systems and have niche advantages that way.

Also, xbox game pass, EA access, backwards compatability and more have really raised xbox in my estimation. I have been able to play Mass Effect 1-3, Tekken 6, Injustice Gods Among Us, Fallout 3 + all dlc, Fallout New Vegas + all dlc, Oblivion and more on my Xbox One. Moreover, xbox game pass has been including their bigger releases as part of the subscription like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and soon Crackdown.

Pros and cons to both. I certainly would only buy one system next gen if anything though, having both is unnecessary.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:48:25 am »
Having a PC, the consoles are mostly reliant on their exclusives.  Nintendo has a great batch of exclusives, Playstation 4 has a bunch of great exclusives, and Xbox One has almost nothing for me, sorta making the Gamepass kinda unnecessary.  Not interested in Halo anymore, I don't like realistic racers, Gears of War was never very enticing to me, and then any of the other exclusives they've had have either come out on PC or PS4 or aren't that good (State of Decay 2 has been mostly a disappointment coming off the first game and Sea of Thieves is basically in Early Access).  There isn't even much I want to go back to on 360 or Xbox that would utilize backwards compatibility and I still have my 360 for Guitar Hero and Rock Band if I really need it.

It just comes down to the games and Xbox doesn't truly have them.  It's why I'm interested in this E3 purely for curiosity sake.  They've screwed up with the Xbox so poorly (Not Wii U bad, but they've been objectively underwhelming) that I am curious to see if they have anything of substance to wow people with at all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:04:59 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 06:51:22 am »
I just got my ps4 a little over a year ago so this gen is still kinda new to me. That and the fact that the ps4 pro and xbox one x are still fairly new and were released with mostly current market tech, I wonder what new things a new console could even offer that the current ones don't already satisfy.

The switch kinda bores me a little right now. There hasn't been many big releases that aren't first-party, ports, or multi-platform releases. I DO like the switch but I think it still isn't being taken seriously enough for that. Ill be happy with just getting a new metroid and bayonetta though.
I'm pretty cool with the switch, it's a nintendo machine and they are usually for first party games. Nintendo has supported it super well. Mario Ody, Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe all to play in the first year - Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem / Hyrule Warriors, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis Aces, Yoshi, Star Fox, Metroid, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Fire Emblem core series title ... all of these are out or coming.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee in holiday 2018, 8th Gen Pokemon game in holiday 2019

Mario, Zelda, Kart, Kirby, Donkey Kong are all out now on the system - Yoshi, Star Fox, Metroid, Smash, Fire Emblem and Pokemon are all on the way. Nintendo are supporting it with almost every damn franchise they have. Couldn't be more happy with it.

Just having Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Pokemon easily, easily, easily, justify owning the system. 

Agozer

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 07:03:12 am »
I've always been a PlayStation fan, so I'm definitely interested in the PS5. That said, the PS4 is  hitting its stride just now, so it's not like I need the PS5 right now.

Being the proud owner of the WiiU and a New 2DS XL, the Switch while interesting (sort of), has very little going for it. Perhaps when Nintendo gives us a Switch hardware revision sometime in the future...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:06:07 am by Agozer »

azure

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:35 am »
New PlayStation console for sure, the next Xbox console though, not so much. The Xbone has been pretty disappointing so far, to the point where It's hard to justify even getting one for me.
I really liked the OG Xbox and Xbox 360, but Microsoft really seem to drop the ball with this one.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 10:58:21 am »
Of course I'm interested in the next gen systems- I'm always interested in what's new.

Now, as far as actually BUYING one or both? Eh. I come at it the same way I always do- when there's enough exclusive content for me to feel justified in buying the system, I will. Normally I want a minimum of 3 physical titles I especially want before picking up a system, but this generation has been a lil' wobbly on that front. The PS4 made it just fine, but I didn't actually buy it, it was a Christmas gift. The Xbox One only got up to 1 real want, plus 2 mostly-but-not-that-much... but there's a fair amount of very interesting download titles, so when it went on that crazy sale last Prime Day it was worth picking up. By now, the Switch has made it's 'quota', but I picked it up a year ago based on the strength of the system concept- I'm fascinated by the whole hybrid handheld thing it's got going on.

The next gen systems are gonna have a bit more to prove for an early adoption due to one big thing that's changed- SPACE. I currently have 15 consoles, a VCR, and 3 switchboxes crammed into a space that's about 5' across, 4' tall, and 1 1/2' wide. I geniunely don't know if I can tweak this to fit in two more consoles! So this run has a new caveat: whatever comes out has to be good enough to warrant bumping a console. Or have a digital clock built-in. I know that sounds stupid, but it's part of the reason the VCR stays hooked up, so if it had a clock it could bump the VCR easy enough. :p

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:36:36 pm »
Of course, I am a console gamer. I don't see that ending anytime soon.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
I'm pretty wary of what future Nintendo / PlayStation / Microsoft console could surface within the next few years. To me, the PlayStation 4 is the apex of what I could expect from a dedicated, sit-down-and-play-with-controller game system. I believe anything from here on out will have a gimmick certainly, like the Nintendo Switch. I keep believing physical games will die in the next generation but it would alienate a lot of people so maybe it will last another decade? It's hard to say. Personally, I'm not interested. PS4 is incredible, and would maybe be the best game system of all time if it was backwards compatible with PS1/PS2/PS3 software discs via emulation. I think Nintendo might maybe make a dock for the Nintendo Switch that supports higher resolutions but other than that I don't really see what a future game console could do that doesn't have a gimmick.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 11:14:09 pm »
As long as physical media remains a thing, then yes I'm very interested. In terms of improved tech I'm not as excited since I'm pretty sure the next gen of consoles will be about as powerful as current high end gaming PC tech. i'm more interested in the continuation of console gaming and the cool exclusives that will come with it. I feel like there is always something to be excited about when it comes to modern gaming and the PS5 and XB2 would just be continuing this, at least I hope they would.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 03:13:47 pm »
The Switch reinvigorated my interest in modern gaming. Before the switch the most current system I had was a Wii. Prior to that I was mostly a OG xbox/gamecube and 16/8-bit (plus N64) gamer.

I'm not very likely to get a PS4 or XBone, let alone consider getting a next-gen console. If anything I will probably pick up an XBone-S soon for wear dispersion on my OG Xbox. That poor thing is not likely to make it much longer. There are a few current gen games I'm interested in (driving sims [Forza], FFXV, Dark Souls) that would be easier to play on a console then investing in the PC needed to play. Heck, I'm thinking about grabbing a WiiU for a few games not likely to get ported to Switch.

I am really excited to see what happens, but not at all interested in buying it. As I read this, I'm prolly just old and boring... 

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »
No, I haven't even got a 8th generation console. As my avatar says I am an old gamer. It's not that I don't want a modern console it's just. I don't want to spend my whole month budget on one item. Especially when I can get games from my local flea market that I never even heard of. console gaming is new to me since I grew up with basically nothing but a PC. 
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

kypherion

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:36 pm »
Of course I'm interested, but basically I'm able to get all the stuff pre-current gen/the second newest gen, so I'm hoping to pick up a PS4 sometime.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"