Author Topic: Non-gaming media - Music, VHS, DVD Blu-ray etc  (Read 1528 times)

shfan

Non-gaming media - Music, VHS, DVD Blu-ray etc
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:46:27 pm »
OK, don't hit me, but I like VGCollect's system so much I would love a sister-site or an option to add other entertainment media to my collection here. I'm not expecting a positive response to this, but after starting to get into blu-rays I'm really itching for the option to add them.

Agozer

Re: Non-gaming media - Music, VHS, DVD Blu-ray etc
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:24 pm »
Well, this site is for video game collecting, after all. that said, I've seen people add their video game movies.

totallycrushed

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:25:25 am »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:49:57 pm by totallycrushed »

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:01:42 am »
But I have more movies than video games....  :'(

greenman

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 01:09:21 pm »
They won't do it because Discogs is too big and that's where all music and movie collectors go. Competing with Discogs is not something VG will do imho.

VG Should just stay gaming only. Thats what they do best. I went to all the top video game databases, this one is the busiest and most active. This will only grow. Then maybe in the future u will see other mediums.

shfan

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:34:47 am »
Well, this site is for video game collecting, after all. that said, I've seen people add their video game movies.

Yeah, but in fairness that's why I floated the idea of a sister site (which is not to say that's feasible, even, just putting it out there). The fact that video game movies are on here is part of why I'm itching to add movies or have a movie site, recently I've got back into movies and I'm hunting out all the 70s/80s/90s blu ray re-releases, so the retro connection's strong (at least in my own collecting).

Start collecting UMDs. Win-win.

Really wish https://arrowfilms.com/ had released some UMDs :(

But I have more movies than video games....  :'(

Oh man :( Well that just tanked my good vibe, the thought of you spending hours adding database entries.

They won't do it because Discogs is too big and that's where all music and movie collectors go. Competing with Discogs is not something VG will do imho.

VG Should just stay gaming only. Thats what they do best. I went to all the top video game databases, this one is the busiest and most active. This will only grow. Then maybe in the future u will see other mediums.

I wouldn't want anything to detract from VGCollect, but in the fullness of time a MovieCollect or something would be seriously good, I love the database system here.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 09:39:54 am »
And then with movies, you're going to have the same problems with a site like that as you do here. There will be people who just want to put what movies they have, then there will be people who want to track variations and international releases. There are some websites already that let you track movie collections, but I have yet to find one that I like well enough to use for myself. As I am mainly "general movie collector guy" but also "variations and international editions collector guy" for certain videos. So in order for me to want to track my collection on a site, I would have to break the entire thing down into "variations" and I'm not too keen on doing that. I only do that for Transformers related videos, and everything else is just "I have this movie on this format" and be done with it. So I just have 2 text files on Google Docs to track each, which I can look at on my phone with the Google Drive app.

shfan

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:50:25 pm »
Maybe I should look at doing something like that too, it's just cloud talk I guess, but I do love the way this site works - everyone puts their collection in and everyone who follows can use what's here and add what's missing, works great.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
I use DVD profiler for my DVD's and Blu-rays

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:15:39 pm »
I use DVD profiler for my DVD's and Blu-rays

+1

shfan

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 06:24:50 pm »
Thanks very much for the tip guys, just tried out Profiler. I'm going to do a thorough check, but I just ran through a few blu rays and was disappointed - like a lot of these web-based things it's very NA-centric, half the UK versions I was trying to find aren't on there :( It's early yet though, I'll try again and see if there's a better hit rate.