Author Topic: NES to Famicom Converter in NES Carts  (Read 37024 times)

darko

NES to Famicom Converter in NES Carts
« on: April 04, 2012, 01:36:49 am »
So I was filtering through several of my games this evening when I noticed a slight weight difference in a few of my 5 screw carts.

Here are the suspects:

And here are the results:

Here are several things to look out for if anyone is trying to hunt one of these down:

The adaptors are primarily found in early 5 screw carts.
The 5 screw carts will not have tabs on the top of the cart like all? 3 screw carts have (easy to spot in any store).
The connectors on the board will have tiny outcroppings to one side as opposed to in the middle.

Assuming the example above = |-- , the 5 screw cart pins that do NOT have an adaptor and look like the 3 screw carts = -|-.

If I can remember I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about tomorrow since my phone just died.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:02:47 am by darko »

hexen

Re: NES to Famicom Converter in NES Carts
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:47:13 pm »
Man, you lucky dog, you.

I've had (and tested) so so SO many of those games, probably a 100 Gyromites, and the only game I've ever had one in was my Wrecking Crew that I gave to a friend so he could convert Famicom games.

I really wanna get my hands on another just because it has a cool history (as I already have a 'official' converter)
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

darko

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »
Well now you know what to look for! The pins are the tell.

scott

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »
ya when I found my Gyromite cart, all I knew was that it would be heavier. It just makes sense to look for the weight difference, I didn't know about the pins until later.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »
I've looked thru probably 50+ gyromite carts in the wild and only ever found one.  Puchased it for 3.99!  I have looked thru quite a few black box five screws and have yet to find one.  Good haul on converters!!!

darko

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:08 am »
Are you looking for one to sell or to play imports?

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:38 pm »
I'll get some imports some day, but it was more about having one I guess.  I have a Gyromite with converter and one without in my collection.  I continue to look because I figure they would make good trade stock.

darko

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:37:56 am »
Bump for those interested.

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:25 am »
And stickied for good info.

scott

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
Figured I'd write this up here, since we have the thread stickied and all already.

I finally got around to cutting up my extra Gyromite cart for the Famicom adapter. After marking how deep I needed the cut on the cart, I took it to the band saw and cut it down while both halves were still screwed together.  This way, both of them are exact matches to each other. The blade on the bandsaw walked a little, so I needed to trim a little more off to correct it, and still ended up with a little walk in the blade. But it should be fine.

Once that was done, cut the tabs off of the adapter itself, so the Famicom carts will clear to the contacts. Then I just used some 2 sided tape and built up a few layers. Once that was done, I screwed the 2 remaining screws into place and viola! "Instant" Famicom Adapter cart!

Cart cut in half.

Test fitting

Taped in place. You can see the layers of double sided tape. I used some industrial stuff that I have around work. But any good 2 sided tape should work fine. I needed to do 2 layers on the front and 3 on the back to help fill the gaps.

All done!

The only thing I want to do yet is make up a couple labels and get rid of the left over Gyromite art and the Nintendo warning label.

If my measurements are right, the Famicom carts should but right up to the Gyromite cart and there shouldn't be a gap at all. Of course I didn't feel like taking my Kid Dracula cart to work for testing. So, I guess I'll find out tonight.

scott

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
Oh and here's the Kid Dracula plugged into it. Works pretty good!

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 03:18:16 pm »
now all you need to do is a attach a ribbon of some sort so you can put it into a front loader and still be able to yank it out.

scott

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 06:47:56 pm »
Ya. I realized this after the fact. D:

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 05:14:09 pm »
In case anyone is wondering.  Here is a list of games that are known to have Famicom Converters in them. 

Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr.
Duck Hunt
Elevator Action
Excitebike
Golf
Gumshoe
Gyromite
Hogan’s Alley
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
Pinball
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Rygar
Soccer
Stack Up
Tennis
Urban Champion
Wizards and Warriors
Wrecking Crew

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
In case anyone is wondering.  Here is a list of games that are known to have Famicom Converters in them. 

Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr.
Duck Hunt
Elevator Action
Excitebike
Golf
Gumshoe
Gyromite
Hogan’s Alley
Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
Pinball
Raid on Bungeling Bay