Author Topic: Limited and Obscure releases  (Read 114600 times)

telly

Re: Limited and Obscure releases
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »
Ah okay. I just remember seeing a randomly generated version of Super Meat Boy at a con years ago (at least 5 or 6).
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

mark1982

« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:31 am »
Well, Blaster Master is here, finally..

TBH I'm bummed out that it's 2 separate games, they could have easily put both on one SKU and did a Blaster Master 1 and 2 Collection.

Ah well, probably skip it then, too much for my liking. Would have picked it up if they were together on one cart.

l    l 

tripredacus

« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2020, 10:50:16 am »
Was this game released?
Creature in the Well on PS34 [NA]
Release date on entry is May 12 2020. Can only find items on ebay using stock photos.

https://vgcollect.com/item/178875

This version on Switch also:
https://vgcollect.com/item/178876
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 10:52:19 am by tripredacus »

dhaabi

« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2020, 11:43:09 am »
Was this game released?
Release date on entry is May 12 2020. Can only find items on ebay using stock photos.

I created the entries. Admittedly, I never know how to date limited released titles, since they ship at various times and often unannounced. So, I tend to date them as the date the pre-order goes live. Would it make more sense to label such entries as released, or to leave the date empty in this moment? If the latter, what is the criteria for the released date supposed to be? The title has not shipped yet.

tripredacus

« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2020, 12:16:04 pm »
Was this game released?

I created the entries. Admittedly, I never know how to date limited released titles, since they ship at various times and often unannounced. So, I tend to date them as the date the pre-order goes live. Would it make more sense to label such entries as released, or to leave the date empty in this moment? If the latter, what is the criteria for the released date supposed to be? The title has not shipped yet.

Their release date should be when they get physically released or shipped, not the pre-order date. If a release date is not known, an entry probably shouldn't be created as a physical item.

Also, after going through the style guide section, it seems less and less to make sense to use "unreleased (but official)" for anything besides prototypes or back-doored items. I would set it for Official Release, although a more appropriate option would be "Official Release (Upcoming)" maybe we can get that kind of option added.

« Reply #365 on: June 24, 2020, 03:05:53 pm »
Was this game released?

Their release date should be when they get physically released or shipped, not the pre-order date. If a release date is not known, an entry probably shouldn't be created as a physical item.

Also, after going through the style guide section, it seems less and less to make sense to use "unreleased (but official)" for anything besides prototypes or back-doored items. I would set it for Official Release, although a more appropriate option would be "Official Release (Upcoming)" maybe we can get that kind of option added.
What dhaabi is trying to explain is that Limited Print Releases don't have "release dates" like a normal retail release.  There is the day the game goes up for preorder, the day preorders end, and an expected release window of 202X, Qx 202X, Month 202X, etc.  They don't say day and date when they start shipping, and these titles aren't street dated or anything like that.  These companies aren't capable of being professionals and having a real release date.  They sell thousands of copies of a game, but when they finally start shipping, they only ship maybe 200 packages a day, so there isn't really anything solid to go by except for the order dates.

Generally I leave the release date values null for limited print games because it's disingenuous to say Celeste released Jan 2018 when it didn't actually start shipping until like December 2019.

Creature in the Well for instance says Q3 2020 as a release date.  It's definitely not out yet.  Should be the Unreleased (but official) in my head canon until someone gets a copy in the mail and then goes and marks it as Official Release.  Which is generally what I do when I get copies of stuff in the mail from these jokers. 
https://www.iam8bit.com/collections/collectors-editions/products/creature-in-the-well-nintendo-switch-physical-edition

Limited Print Releases are hot garbage for tracking.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:11:54 pm by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2020, 09:45:41 am »
Yes, it is always best to leave a field blank if the information is not known.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

telly

« Reply #368 on: July 08, 2020, 04:00:48 pm »
Did anybody watch the LRG stream? Any titles you guys are interested in getting?

Here's the list

A Boy and His Blob (PS4) — September 2020
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (Switch, PS4) — TBD
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling (Switch, PS4) — TBD
Carrion (Switch) — TBD*
Castlevania Anniversary Collection (Switch, PS4) — Q3 2020
Demon Turf (Switch) — TBD
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (PS4) — July 2020
Grandia HD Collection (Switch) — August 7, 2020
GRIS (Switch) — TBD*
Katana Zero (Switch) — November 2020
Kunai (Switch) — July 8, 2020*
MegaDimension Neptunia VII (Switch) — July 28, 2020*
Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Switch, PS4) — August 28, 2020
My Friend Pedro (PS4) — TBD*
Observer (Switch) — TBD*
Papers, Please (Vita) — July 24, 2020
PixelJunk Eden 2 (Switch) — TBD
Return of the Obra Dinn (Switch, PS4) — July 24, 2020
River City Girls 0 — TBD
Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time (Switch, PS4) — TBD
Shantae (Switch, GameBoy Color) — September 2020
Shantae: Risky's Revenge (Switch) — September 2020
Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! (PSVR) — July 31, 2020
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (Switch, PS4, PC) — July 10, 2020
Super Meat Boy Forever (Switch, PS4) — TBD
The friends of Ringo Ishikawa (Switch) — July 21, 2020*
The Mummy Demastered (Switch, PS4) — July 31, 2020
The Secret of Monkey Island 30th Anniversary Anthology (PC) — October 2020
To The Moon (Switch) — Q4 2020
TowerFall Ascension (Switch) — Q3 2020
Trover Saves the Universe (Switch) — Q4 2020
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (Switch) — TBD*
Xtreme Sports (Switch, GameBoy Color) — October 2020
Ys Origin (Switch) — July 8, 2020*

*The asterisked titles are a part of our distribution line, which means we are selling these on behalf of the publisher. These physical editions are not created by us and are not a part of our numbered release line.

I'd like the Castlevania collection, Super Meat Boy Forever, and Bug Fables. Might also pick up that Grandia Collection on Switch.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2020, 02:20:54 am »
If they pull a surprise and release Grandia Collection for the PS4, I'm all in. Still can't believe we never got a PS4 version.

mark1982

« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2020, 02:29:10 am »
Did anybody watch the LRG stream? Any titles you guys are interested in getting?

I'd like the Castlevania collection, Super Meat Boy Forever, and Bug Fables. Might also pick up that Grandia Collection on Switch.

Caught the Highlights after the show. There are some interesting titles there that I definitely will pick up. I have some digitally and will wait and see what the final product looks like before I make the purchase.

I'm definitely getting these on Switch:

- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
- Castlevania Anniversary Collection (got this digitally already but I want to own this) ;)
- New River City Girls
- Shantae
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge
- The Mummy Demastered (got this digitally)

On the fence:

- Grandia HD Collection  (got this digitally)
- Return of the Obra Dinn
- Mighty Gunvolt Burst

Seems like quite a few orders to be made ;)
  l    l 

dhaabi

« Reply #371 on: July 15, 2020, 11:41:39 am »

Over the last two years or so, LRG's lineup hasn't impressed me, but every now and then something of interest is planned to be released. I'll definitely be picking up Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling and the next installment of River City Girls. I'll have to give more thought to if I also want to invest in Papers, Please and Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, though.

Flashback2012

« Reply #372 on: July 24, 2020, 09:52:26 am »
LRG needs to do away with that ReCaptcha nonsense like yesterday...  >:(

« Reply #373 on: July 25, 2020, 12:10:15 pm »

Over the last two years or so, LRG's lineup hasn't impressed me, but every now and then something of interest is planned to be released. I'll definitely be picking up Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling and the next installment of River City Girls. I'll have to give more thought to if I also want to invest in Papers, Please and Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, though.

Yeah, I was kinda iffy, but then they dropped the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.

Flashback2012

« Reply #374 on: July 25, 2020, 03:32:16 pm »
Anyone get hosed trying to get Papers, Please? I was able to secure a copy but my cousin got locked out both times. A guy I know on FB and some of his friends also had issues with the site and not being able to purchase their own before it sold out. Gotta love those scalpers...  ::)