Author Topic: GBA suggestions?  (Read 2609 times)

scott

GBA suggestions?
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »
I've been working on these covers for my GBA games and it's gotten me thinking about paying more attention to the system. I only slightly got into it while it was new and didn't make my return to portable gaming until the DS came out. So I know I missed out on a lot of stuff, and I think I had a feeling that the GBA was nothing but a load of shovelware at the time.

Here's what I own now, http://vgcollect.com/scott/gba . Anyone have some suggestions on what to look for?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

amauriel

Re: GBA suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »
I'd actually like to know this too, I know that's a weak spot in my collection as well.

That being said, I do see two that I'd love to recommend: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (sorta a throwback to Mario RPG, really unique gameplay style) and Riviera: The Promised Land (it has this weapon/attack mechanic that really gives it a good replay). Riviera is in the same series/style as Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, and Gungnir, and I want to say it's even the beginning for the series. Anyway, classy, unique RPG that was one of my favorite memories of the GBA.

Glancing again: Fire Emblem?!?!? How do you not have Fire Emblem??  :P
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »
I think you need more Castlevania, clearly you don't have enough :P

Random suggestions:
Advance Wars
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Lufia: The Ruins of Lore (not as good as Lufia 2, but still pretty solid)
Monster Rancher Advance 2

Unpopular suggestion: Mega Man Battle Network. Really fun series, specifically 2 and 3 (you can pretty much ignore the rest, they're not that great).

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:43:29 pm »
Pac-Man pinball!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »
Advance Wars

I lost a solid year of my live to that game. So good.

scott

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »
Sweet thanks guys. And yes, you can never have enough CASTLEVANIA!!

I was intending to try Riviera at some point, but forgot about it.
I know I need Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, I was a huge fan of Super Mario RPG.
Ya I don't have Fire Emblem... actually I've never played a single one of them. What are they? Like Shining Force?
I have Advance Wars: Dual Strike and that was super fun. I'll have to look for that too.
I had all of the Mega Man Battle Network games but traded them all in (stupid) Of course, I thought they were OK, but had problems with their universe...

Good suggestions guys, I'll keep them in mind!

tpugmire

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:27:12 pm »
The thing I like best about the GBA is the amount of console ports.  Off the top of my head:

Capcom Classics Mini Mix - A compilation consisting on NES versions of Strider, Bionic Commando, and Mighty Final Fight.
Bubble Bobble Old & New - 2 versions of Bubble Bobble.  The NES version, and a new updated version.
Pac-Man Collection - 4 classic Pac-Man games.
Sonic the Hedgehog: Genesis - A port of the first Sonic game.  A little bit of slowdown compared to the original.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:38:32 pm »
Oh I totally forgot about Capcom Mini Mix!

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:13:49 am »
It's a bit of an odd suggestion but I loved playing Fire Pro Wresting for the GBA but it was the first one that I got to play and I enjoy wrestling games in general

soera

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:40 am »
Phantasy star collection. Cant go wrong with it. I dont own too many GBA games myself. Metroid zero, metroid fusion, Breath of Fire 2, and Phantasy Star.

darko

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
Tales of Phantasia is always a good choice on GBA.

amauriel

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »
@darko: I just picked that up for $3 at MicroCenter, of all places. Looked like it was once at Gamestop, had sticky all over the back. Want to clean it before I start playing.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

darko

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »
It's a great game and $3 is a great price! You wont be disappointed!

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
Capcom Classics Mini Mix - A compilation consisting on NES versions of Strider, Bionic Commando, and Mighty Final Fight.
Eh, I'd avoid this.

It's just a repackaged GBA emulator (the one anyone can use with a flash cart) with the games.

scott

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 09:47:19 am »
Eh, I'd avoid this.

It's just a repackaged GBA emulator (the one anyone can use with a flash cart) with the games.

I remember being excited for this when it first came out. Mostly because I wanted to play Bionic Commando again. I never got it though.