Author Topic: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for  (Read 5134 times)

Re: Your favorite and least favorite console you've collected for
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 09:29:29 pm »
PS1 is my favorite system to collect for, easy to find and I don't have much competition since everyone around me just has a hardon for nintendo. 

LOL he's right

Sort of. Yes, I'd say the majority of retro video game collecting is mostly focused on Nintendo consoles, but the Playstation has in many ways become just as iconic as the NES or SNES. As someone who has collected for the PS1 for years now, I've seen interest in and the price of PS1 titles rise exponentially, and PS1 deals seem to vanish just as quickly as comparable SNES deals on forums, CL, and ebay. It might be easier, but only slightly so from my experience, especially over the last 4-years or so.

sworddude

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 04:43:44 pm »
PS1 is my favorite system to collect for, easy to find and I don't have much competition since everyone around me just has a hardon for nintendo. 

LOL he's right

Sort of. Yes, I'd say the majority of retro video game collecting is mostly focused on Nintendo consoles, but the Playstation has in many ways become just as iconic as the NES or SNES. As someone who has collected for the PS1 for years now, I've seen interest in and the price of PS1 titles rise exponentially, and PS1 deals seem to vanish just as quickly as comparable SNES deals on forums, CL, and ebay. It might be easier, but only slightly so from my experience, especially over the last 4-years or so.

I don't know how big your old snes collection was but if i compare the two atm I find it hard to believe that collecting for ps1 is just slighty easier than snes.

Ps1 has some iconic games but It's just not as iconic as nintendo. Spyro and crash bandicoot have never really been as high as mario or zelda during the ps1 era. metal gear FF VII sure but otherwise.

As far as prices go How many people actually played games like elemental gear bolt klonoa or alundra back in the day. I'm pretty sure that prices have gone up because people who played old games wanted something different and the ps1 has some really interesting retro games. The really mainstream games that sold well sell for peanuts atm except for a few exceptions. Symphony of the night is also another example of the older generation finding a good game on the ps1 system not to mention it isn't really a ps1 3d game to begin with. 2d games in a 3d era where not the main stream.

In my experience It's allot easier to get good ps1 deals compared to nintendo even the sought after pretty expensive stuff, might be different in the US though but kinda hard to believe that nes snes is only slightly less hard  to collect for than ps1. Are we talking about lose nintendo stuff or cib in your experience of collecting?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:33:25 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 12:52:57 pm »
PS1 longbox games always piqued my interest, so when I finally decided to hunt down the ones I wanted in my collection, I had fun doing it. My timing was also good given at the time I managed to find sellers on eBay that were selling their collections either in bulk or just portions of them in special lots/bundles. This is actually how I managed to fill the gaps for my other consoles.

PS2 and PS3 were also fun to collect for; especially for the PS3 given I managed to amass my collection in about a year or less of acquiring the console.

Although I’m currently not looking for more NDS games, with a few exceptions, collecting the titles I wanted was also quite enjoyable. At the time the N3DS was in everyone’s mouth, so I’m guessing that’s the reason why I managed to score some good deals. Comparatively, the NDS is possibly the console (or handheld) that I spent the least amount when hunting for games.

To be perfectly honest, though, I’ve enjoyed collecting for all the consoles I own; I believe I got everything, or at least most of what I wanted for each console at the right time and with a little bit of perseverance. If I were to choose one console that’s taken the fun out of hunting, however, then maybe the GCN since the game that I’m trying to get the most is Gotcha Force, and, well, I don’t think I need to explain myself on that one.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

doafan

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58:11 pm »
It's simple, my favorite is the all mighy NES and the least favorite: Xbox  8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »
My favorite is collecting for the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 2

My least favorite is the Super Nintendo (SNES) and Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

The reason why I usually don't like to collect for the NES and SNES is because of #1 the difficulty of the games and the enjoyment factor. Of most of the games for them. and #I think most of them are over priced, especially Super Nintendo, for some reason.

Loose cartridges for Super Nintendo games are not worth paying top dollar for, and yet most of them loose are way too much.

It seems people just buy SNES games and they never play most of them (has anyone else noticed?) nobody talks about the Super Nintendo anymore either.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »
For me the favorite would be a combination of factors like the appeal of games to me versus how easily they are acquired. Least favorite would be the opposite, lack of appealing games and difficult to acquire them.

Favorite would be NES.

Least favorite? I'm not sure, but that sounds the most like GameCube to me.

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 11:46:36 am »
Favorite:  SNES/Super Famicom.  It's the most fun to collect for imho.  The games are fun and the box art is colorful.

Least Favorite:  SegaCD:  Ugh, sooo expensive. And finding a cib game, which I prefer, takes some tracking.

smudgy

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 04:49:29 pm »
My favorite for a long time has been the PS2 because games have been pretty easy to find in the wild. However, more recently I've been able to find just as many if not more OG XBox games out and about and I finally caved and began to build a collection for it. It helps that collector interest in it seems to be pretty low right now (as long as your game is not called Steel Batallion) so most things are not super expensive.

Least favorite for me personally would be Switch. I think almost every Switch game has either a collector's edition or limited physical release. Even no-name budget titles have them sometimes. The thought of tracking them all down and finding a place for them made me decide I was only going to hold onto Switch games I really like.

telekill

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 04:56:28 pm »
My favorite that I've collected for is my Sega Game Gear. I'm still collecting for it. There's a handful of games left for me that I want to snag such as Indiana Jones, Ristar and Micro Machines. The rest will go on an Everdrive that I'm planning to also pick up.

I've not really "collected" for many systems outside of their lifespan. Generally, once a system is done releasing games, I move on to the next generation so my Game Gear is kinda special. I'm also cheating a bit as I don't really consider handhelds as consoles as the original question asks. That said, I'm going to continue with handhelds and onto my least favorite that I've "collected" for.... and that's the Playstation Vita.

I bought the PSV at launch seeing a lineup like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Ridge Racer and talk of a Bioshock and many other AAA series that were expected to hit the system in the future. This made complete sense to me as EVERY handheld I've seen come before had had versions of AAA (at the time) series come to them including the PSP which the PSV was the successor of. After two years of typical game releases one would expect, the PSV for all intents and purposes died. All third AND first party support for AAA series was over. The only games that would come to the PSV from then on would be smartphone games and Japanese import games. If you didn't like either of those types of games, Sony's take was essentially "Thank you for your purchase.... now f**k off".

The PSV left such a horrible taste in my mouth that I decided that I would NEVER buy another handheld for myself again and would NEVER buy another Playstation handheld again. It's by far the worst Playstation ever released. Not due to the hardware, but due to the lack of support.... even from Sony. So it's the least favorite console I've collected for as I wasn't able to collect games I would have played on it as they were never created.

sworddude

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2020, 05:46:48 am »
My favorite is collecting for the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 2

My least favorite is the Super Nintendo (SNES) and Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)

It seems people just buy SNES games and they never play most of them (has anyone else noticed?) nobody talks about the Super Nintendo anymore either.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

theflea

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 12:00:34 am »
Favorite:
1. SNES/Super Famicom
2. GENESIS
3. PS2

These are all systems I currently still have a lot of games I'm looking for and can find them in the wild.

Least Fav:
1. Bandai Pippin
2. Nichibutsu My Vision
3. Bandai Supervision 8000

Mainly because it's IMPOSSIBLE to find games for any of these consoles.
Honorable mention is AES and T16 just due to every game I'm missing is expensive, but its still exciting when I pick one up once in a blue moon.
"Happy game hunting!!!"