Author Topic: Favorite Retro Console  (Read 8762 times)

scott

Re: Favorite Retro Console
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:20 pm »
I wouldn't mind tracking one down myself. Hmm, of course I never had a problem playing games on the original N64 controller anyway.  :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:51 pm »
My favorites are:
Vectrex
dreamcast
NES
genesis
atari 2600

Least favorites:
3do
linx (except for electrocop )
Atari 5200

How many games do I need? As many as I can get...

ffxik

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 04:32:33 am »
I know what you mean about collecting hardware.  I also have a love for wanting to collect the hardware.  Be that as it may I'm not going to play favorites though.  I will say that the build quality of some is definitely better than others.

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 11:36:50 pm »
I'd have to say my favorite is the Atari 2600! It was my very first experience with playing a video game and I would site for hours and play/watch my older brothers playing games on it. :) It's what started my love of videogames and more importantly RPGs. (Adventure was the first game my dad bought for the Atari and he would sit there and help me play it. I think I was around 4 or 5)  :) I just get all nostalgic every time I see that console.

As for favorite console to actually sit and play, I'd have to say the Gamecube or PS2... It's weird to think that some of these consoles are as old as they are. it seems like they just came out. I can remember shelling out $200 for a brand new N64 (one of the few consoles I've purchased new) and now thier a dime a dozen, so to speak. I tend to think of a system as "retro" when GameStop stops selling games for it. LOL

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:52 am »
For me it would be the SNES for sure.  My favorite system hands down.

As for a disliked system?  I'm not really sure I have one.. ?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 09:14:48 am »
I'd have to say my favorite is the Atari 2600! It was my very first experience with playing a video game and I would site for hours and play/watch my older brothers playing games on it. :) It's what started my love of videogames and more importantly RPGs. (Adventure was the first game my dad bought for the Atari and he would sit there and help me play it. I think I was around 4 or 5)  :) I just get all nostalgic every time I see that console.

As for favorite console to actually sit and play, I'd have to say the Gamecube or PS2... It's weird to think that some of these consoles are as old as they are. it seems like they just came out. I can remember shelling out $200 for a brand new N64 (one of the few consoles I've purchased new) and now thier a dime a dozen, so to speak. I tend to think of a system as "retro" when GameStop stops selling games for it. LOL

XD

Same w/ me & my sister!

Atari 2600:

Adventure, Combat, and Pitfall Harry for X-Mas (when it/they came out)!
(the start of an addiction:)

We also had the previous Atari -forget what it was called- (someone here can probably remember the name of the "system")...it had a dial/paddle to twist and play "Breakout" on it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:57 am »
Found the answer to my own question!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atari_Video_Pinball_C-380.jpg

Ha!

The one pictured is the exact same color/model that I remember us having!

Does anybody else here have/play/remember this "system"?

thecollector0o7

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

Ha!

The Atari Pinball C-380 is awesome I played mine non stop once I got it but now it is on the old Atari shelf awaiting the day I want to play again :P

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 09:23:52 pm »
Another vote for SNES.  Whenever I go emulating, I find I gravitate towards SNES games.

It's like, you knew the limitations of the system, and it was ok. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 10:33:26 am »

Ha!

The Atari Pinball C-380 is awesome I played mine non stop once I got it but now it is on the old Atari shelf awaiting the day I want to play again :P

Hah!

I think that "Breakout" on this system may well have been my 1st (and least harmful) Addiction!

thecollector0o7

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »

Ha!

Hah!

I think that "Breakout" on this system may well have been my 1st (and least harmful) Addiction!

I love breakout as well :P, When the wife got her first I phone she got breakout and I was in heaven :P

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2012, 06:54:35 am »
My favorite console is the NES / Famicom

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:39 am »
Actual Retro... hmmm

Tie between the TurboGrafx-16 and the NES

anton

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »
PS1, lots of good games, 1st games for a few series (Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Suikoden etc)
N64 : especialy for the jpn games
SNES for all the good RPGs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 11:15:41 pm »
My top 5 systems:

1. NES - The system that made me fall in love with gaming. We did have an Atari 2600 before it that was my older sister's, but it never held my attention for long. The NES, though, with it's awesome sound and music, great graphics (compared to Atari 2600, that is), large explorable worlds, and game with a story and ending; was like digital crack for me. I couldn't get enough. And my mom was awesome enough to get me Legend of Zelda, TMNT, Star Soldier, and Pin-Bot as my first games (along with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart that came with the NES, of course).

2. PS1 - I picked this system because it was the first system I played fully 3-D games on (other than a few here and there like Star Fox and Wolfenstein 3-D on SNES). At first I had to get used to the controls and camera while playing these game, but once I got past that learning curve I had a blast. And the PS1's game library is just amazing. Developers back then were really experimenting with different things which created a vastly varied library of games on the PS1.

3. SNES - I love the SNES because it took everything awesome about the NES and made it all better: Better graphics, better sound, bigger games, a better controller, and more reliable hardware (no more annoying screen-blinkies!). And it had a helluva game library.

4. Sega Genesis - I love the 16-bit era, and while I liked my SNES better, the Sega Genesis isn't far behind. This was when Sega was at it's peak, IMO, giving us a plethora of great first-party titles. Plus Sega had a lot of lesser-known third-party developers releasing games on the Genesis. Some were stinkers, but many of them were hidden gems and made the Genesis game library unique.

5. GBA - Preferably the awesome backlit SP model. This handheld is easily the best handheld of all-time, IMO. Great original games, ports of some of the best NES and SNES games, and it's backwards compatible with original Game Boy and GB Color games. Plus that sweet backlit screen really made those old Game Boy titles look a whole lot better.