Author Topic: My 8-Bits: Coleco Telstar Arcade  (Read 2980 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits: Coleco Telstar Arcade
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:58:43 pm »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and this time I'm reviewing a system that I had my doubts if I should include it with the Pong Consoles or give it it's own review. But it's so weird and has it's own library of games (thou small) it makes it it's own console. I give you the Coleco Telstar Arcade.   

Coleco Telstar Arcade

History:
Released in 1977, It was a Pong console but also a driving and light gun game in a weird triangle shaped console. Cart 2 came with a set of paddles to play 4-players and carts 3 & 4 where mail order.

How did it do?
Okay for a time when Pong consoles where on the way out, but it wasn't out for very long.

Graphics:
Pong style Graphics, it has four colors black, white, red and green. 

Is this system still fun to play?
More interesting then fun. One side is pong sport games, turn it around and race a car turn it again to shoot a light stick man on the screen. The game carts are weird looking too, a triangle that pops in the top.

What games are worth playing?
If you like the old school pong and 70s style games this will offer not much new.

How many versions are there?
Just One.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Finding one that works would be a good start. Also the system will not work at all with out a game cart. Another issue is you may have to adjust the consoles vertical hold located inside the system itself for it to work on newer televisions. Other then that it has the usual Pong problems with jittery controls and many may be missing the steering wheel or light gun. The Light Gun is made of light cheap plastic and often breaks real easy. The only other issue I've seen is the carts don't connect well and may cut you from your game, the latch that holds the game down wears over use and makes the cart loose. The system sells for about $50+ and carts 2, 3 and 4 can sell for more then the console itself.

My Experience with the Console
I had one of these way back when I was a Kid, a neighbor gave it to my mom and she gave it to us kids. We tried using it but we couldn't figure out why it didn't work so we trashed it. Looking back I think it was just missing the game cart. (lol) I got one CIB last year and got two games with it. When I first hooked it up the screen was horrible and at first I thought the system was broken then discovered the trick about opening it up and adjusting the vertical hold. The system is kinda cheap feeling, very light plastic the light gun is crappy, you can pretty much point it at your head and it will act like you hit the target. It's the goofy looking console that gets peoples attention in ones collection.

Final Thoughts
This is for the Pong console collector. While its barely a stand alone game console, it does has its unique design that makes it stand out from the rest. But the casual collector or gamer should pass. There's cheaper ways to play Pong.

Let me know what you think, should I continue with more reviews and what console would you like me to do next? I may pick one you guys pick or continue doing them in a somewhat order of how they came out. I don't know yet how often I'll have the time to write one of these but I'll have one up as often as I can.   :D

Leave reply's on your experience with the Telstar Arcade, I still would love to hear them.  :D   
So far not many of you guys have played the consoles I've reviewed but next week that will change.

By the Numbers: Only 1 other person on Vgcollect owns this console.

Past Reviews:
RCA Studio II
Fairchild Channel F
PC-50X
Pong Consoles
Magnavox Odyssey
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:04:20 pm by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

Re: My 8-Bits: Coleco Telstar Arcade
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:17:41 pm »
Love these small game reviews.  Man that is one monstrosity of a console though lol I find the clip on game cart thing kinda cool actually.  More interesting way than sliding them into a slot for sure.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:07:49 pm by kamikazekeeg »

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »
Which mad man made that thing.

argyle

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 06:38:36 am »
I played 2 or 3 Pong machines as a kid, I know my parents owned one & I think some other relatives did as well.  But I had never even heard of this thing before I saw it on an episode of AVGN.  BTW, is this the first cartridge-based console? 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:48:59 am »
I like what you're doing. It doesn't go unappreciated.

theflea

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:50:42 am »
I played 2 or 3 Pong machines as a kid, I know my parents owned one & I think some other relatives did as well.  But I had never even heard of this thing before I saw it on an episode of AVGN.  BTW, is this the first cartridge-based console? 
no, Fairchild Channel F is the first that had the games programmed into the carts.
I believe the Telstar Arcade carts are similar to odyssey 1 where the games are programed into the system and the carts tell the system which game to play.

I like what you're doing. It doesn't go unappreciated.
Thanks  ;D
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:24 am »
Good read! I'll be looking forward to more installments!  ;D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:29:27 pm »
I've always wanted one of these. To me it seems like the Roll-Royce of Pong-Consoles complete with the shiny, triangle carts. It has a light-gun even!

htimreimer

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »
I've always wanted one of these. To me it seems like the Roll-Royce of Pong-Consoles complete with the shiny, triangle carts. It has a light-gun even!
i would not call this a pong console because pong consoles are the plug and play tv games of the 70s and this uses cartridges,
instead i would call bizarrely designed home console with the capabilities of the rca studio 2