Author Topic: Games With The Same Name Different On Other Devices  (Read 1576 times)

Games With The Same Name Different On Other Devices
« on: January 28, 2020, 04:13:04 pm »
I am not sure if this is already covered but

Sometimes a handheld version or different console generation.  of the same game name. Is actually a whole different game I'll name a few.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour yearly 2007-2010 release are totally different games on the PlayStation 3 than on the PlayStation 2, so I have both versions of those yearly sports game releases.

another game is The Sims 2. while on the PlayStation 2 version, of The Sims 2 it's way different on the console then on the PC. On the PC it's your typical strategy game for the PC, with a point and click mechanic. But on the PlayStation 2 version of the same title. the game is more like an open world RPG type of control with you controlling your character from behind.

those are some examples of how a game can change from different ports and or handheld, or even platform or console generation!. So what games do you know that are the same game name, but completely different games across multiple platforms?

The golf games I mentioned have different characters, different courses different graphics, different menu screen and it's was the same year release on both PS2 and PS3. But the games are almost nothing alike.

if you are curious just check them out for yourself on YouTube or be the first one to make a video comparison :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:16:56 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Games With The Same Name Different On Other Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 come to mind.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:56:09 pm »
Jurassic Park was much different on the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Sega Genesis and Game Gear. Even though I was a Nintendo kid, I thought the Genesis version was way better. For one, you got to play as the Raptor.

megasilverx1

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:21 pm »
Tetris 2 on Famicom and Tetris 2 on NES are pretty different. The Famicom Tetris 2 plays like an actual Tetris game and includes 2-player, battery back-up saves, and an extra game called Bombliss. Also Koichi Sugiyama composed the music (the composer for the Dragon Quest/Warrior games). The Tetris 2 North America and Europe knows is actually called Tetris Flash in Japan and is like the weird love child of Tetris and Dr. Mario. While it too has a 2-player mode, it lacks a save feature, bonus game, and at least to me, is no where near as fun/easy to pick up as regular Tetris. While still on the topic of Tetris on NES, the Famicom version of Tetris is different from the licensed NES version being developed by Bullet-Proof Software rather than Nintendo R&D1.

Other games that are different on other consoles that come to mind are: Sonic Unleashed on PS3 vs PS2, Sonic Generations on PS3 vs 3DS, Sonic Colors on Wii vs DS, Ghostbusters II on NES vs GB, TMNT on GBA vs every other platform it was released on, The Adventures of Batman & Robin on SNES vs Genesis vs Sega CD, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers on SNES vs Genesis vs Game Gear vs Game Boy, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie on SNES vs Genesis, and Strider on NES vs Genesis.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:37:34 pm »
TMNT (2007), Rango, and Ghostbusters: The Video Game are three perfect examples of this. Actually, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: BattleNexus, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare for the PS2/GCN/XBOX also come to mind given their handheld counterparts are wholly different. Good games, by the by.

Most Spider-Man games also tend to have different games across different platforms.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »
Duck Dynasty was released for modern systems at the time: PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and 3DS. However, the 3DS version is vastly different. The former all play like a dated 3D adventure game from the PS2 era, while the latter plays similar to a simulation title and comparable to Animal Crossing. I recently was able to secure a sealed copy of the 3DS version just for its similarities. It still holds up.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:16:19 pm by dhaabi »

jeffmandm

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 12:07:36 pm »
In the late 80's to the mid 90's, any of the Don Bluth Laserdisc arcade games were either re-drawn and severely cut down (to the point where they were split into two games) or a new game entirely was made with the same name, in the case of the NES version of Dragon's Lair or the SNES version of Space Ace. Once disc-based media became more prevalent then the games began being released in their true arcade form.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 01:53:09 pm »
How about Games with the Same Name on the Same devices?

NFS Most Wanted
Astro Boy

But also I recently read how GI Joe Rise of Cobra on PS2/Wii is different from the 360/PS3 release.

I wanna say Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 is supposed to be different from the X1/PS4 releases as well.

telly

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 03:10:24 pm »
One that comes to mind is Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom on console vs. PC
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

ferraroso

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 05:57:52 pm »
For me, Aladdin is the first game that comes to mind when I think of games with the same name on different devices.
The SNES and Mega Drive versions are very different and than, you have the Game Boy version, which you'd expect to be a port of the SNES, but no! It is derived from the Mega Drive game. Finally, you have the Master System and Game Gear versions which, as one would expect, are basically the same game, but that happen to be yet a third approach on the same property, but sharing some similarities with the... SNES game!
It is all kinda messy, but I find the Mega Drive release to be the best by far and one of the most beautiful games of that generation.

Game Sack has two videos covering this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKgBn0bfPoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3A6duiy998

And one of my favorite Youtube channels, Sega Lord X, also has a video on the differences between arcade and home releases of games that share the same name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn9kuFqjQQ0

telekill

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 08:52:31 am »
Jurassic Park was much different on the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Sega Genesis and Game Gear. Even though I was a Nintendo kid, I thought the Genesis version was way better. For one, you got to play as the Raptor.

Agreed. In fact, the Genesis version of Jurassic Park is still among my favorite games of all time. It became so popular that there was a direct sequel too it in JP Rampage Edition which played almost identically but with different levels for both Grant and the Raptor. I really enjoyed all the Jurassic Park games on Sega systems based on the first movie. Even the Sega CD version of Jurassic Park was a completely different game but still really enjoyable. Then there was The Lost World which wasn't that great on Genesis but I enjoyed the Game Gear version.

I believe that Jurassic Park on NES, SNES and Game Boy were all pretty similar. There was a part 2 on SNES that was pretty different and I enjoyed that a lot more than the other Nintendo versions.

There was also a 3DO JP game that was completely different as well. Not great.... not even good.... but still a different experience.